• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

“Op lo” on startup

Adk77

Country
USA
Snowmobile
3013 Nytro XTX
I have a 2013 Nytro Xtx , recently when I start the sled after it is warm the “op-lo” message comes up with the oil icon. It seems to be staying on longer the more miles I put on the sled. Have over 1700 miles on for the year, the oil level is good. Anything I should be looking at our is this normal.? It doesn’t do this from a cold start. I’m guessing it’s either the oil level gauge assembly in the oil tank, the oil pressure switch assembly or the oil pressure sender. Any help or insight to help me narrow this would be greatly appreciated. Oil level is fine as well with amsoil 0-40 full synthetic.

Does it make any difference if when I cycle the ignition on and give the sled a few seconds before starting? I feel this may help but haven’t tested it enough for sure

Maybe the oil is getting thin. Try changing it to see if it improves. Might be worth sending a sample of the old oil to Blackstone for analysis. Who knows, maybe Amsoil isn't as good as they say it is.

X2 with Mooseman said, op-lo is for low oil pressure.

If changing the oil and filter does not resolve the concern, then I would recommend installing a mechanical oil pressure gauge to see what the oil pressure actually is. Order to get an accurate oil pressure reading, you will need to get the oil temperature up to normal operating temp. This can be done by running the sled on a track stand with a lawn sprinkler spraying on the front heat ex-changer. The sprinkler allows you to be able run the sled longer without over heating the engine. To check the oil temp, you can use an inferred temp probe on the oil tank to see what your oil temp is. Ideally you will want to get the oil temp up to about 180 degrees F and by running the sled on a track stand, you reduce the chances of causing further engine damage as opposed to riding the sled.

If I remember correctly, I believe that the oil pressure sender size is British pipe thread, so likely you will need a BPT adapter in order to connect the mechanical oil pressure gauge to your block.

Hopefully the oil change will fix it for you or it's just a bad oil pressure sensor. However if the oil pressure is actually low, I would highly recommend not riding the sled until you have repaired it. The Nytro/Viper engines run very tight bearing clearances (.0005" to .001") and running the engine with low oil pressure increases the risk of spinning a rod bearing and throwing a rod through the side of the block.

I appreciate the responses. Going to hunt down a new filter in the morning as well as pick up some Spectro oil and change it out. Hopefully that is the answer. Thanks again for the info!

Seems that changing the oil and filter did the trick. Upon startup whether cold or warm it builds pressure right away. Swapped over to Spectro full synthetic from amsoil and used a napa gold 1358 filter. Thanks for the ideas, much appreciated!

Back