• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

“Where are the rest of the Yamaha snowmobiles?” and speculating about our future.

One thing I'd like to add that although I'm still doubtful Yamaha will continue in the sled business long term (my first name is Thomas...lol) I would draw no conclusions from their minimal 2019 marketing. If they really have something new around the corner marketing budgets will be saved for that. There is no reason to go to all the shows and sponsor big marketing events if they are focusing on selling carry-overs with discounts and a limited release '19 line-up.

The reason there is a backlog of non-current Yamaha sleds is because Yamaha has not made anything the masses want. It is as plain and simple as that. People are acting as though this controlled production is something new for 2019. Yamaha has throttled back on producing sleds for a number of years now. Heck, they only made 5000 sleds last year and if there are lots of leftovers that tells you all you need to know about how desirable their sleds have been.

YES, the Apex and Vectors are some of the best sleds ever made for their intended use, but the large mass of consumers clearly don’t value the strengths of those sleds nearly as much as many on this site. That’s why they don’t sell.

I hear ya that the 2 strokes are junk, but the masses buy three of them to every 4 stroke sold.

I will continue to ride my Yamaha sleds and be optimistic for the future.
Agreed. Currently we lack someone like Chris Reid who bridged the gap between the consumer and manufacturer and cut right through the mumbo jumbo. There is a lot of speculation on Yamaha's future in the sled market, I believe that most if not all of the doom and gloom is unfounded speculation. To me, the recent tactical events look like - and are described publicly by Yamaha as - they are coupled with a strategy to move through the long haul in a responsible way. It makes no sense for Yamaha to keep production up and ram excess units into the market. The market is oversupplied, period.

I believe that they'll be "back" soon...not that they have gone away. Give them some credit for not just having fallen off the turnip truck...

One thing I'd like to add that although I'm still doubtful Yamaha will continue in the sled business long term (my first name is Thomas...lol) I would draw no conclusions from their minimal 2019 marketing. If they really have something new around the corner marketing budgets will be saved for that. There is no reason to go to all the shows and sponsor big marketing events if they are focusing on selling carry-overs with discounts and a limited release '19 line-up.

I was wondering if they were actually going to show up for the snow sneak peak shows. They are advertised, as is Arctic Cat, which is a first in years. I guess I will find out at the show next week. If they do, I feel for the employees on duty that day.

The reason there is a backlog of non-current Yamaha sleds is because Yamaha has not made anything the masses want. It is as plain and simple as that. People are acting as though this controlled production is something new for 2019. Yamaha has throttled back on producing sleds for a number of years now. Heck, they only made 5000 sleds last year and if there are lots of leftovers that tells you all you need to know about how desirable their sleds have been.

YES, the Apex and Vectors are some of the best sleds ever made for their intended use, but the large mass of consumers clearly don’t value the strengths of those sleds nearly as much as many on this site. That’s why they don’t sell.

I hear ya that the 2 strokes are junk, but the masses buy three of them to every 4 stroke sold.
Again, there are factors to consider here. 4S keeps on running, why replace what is like new still. Winters have been mild and no snow to ride in many areas, cost a lot to chase the snow. Look what is for sale used, few Yamahas compared to all other brands. If I was running 2 stroke I would want to upgrade before the upcoming motor melt down. Look at the automotive industry, vehicles used to be good for 100k miles, then people ran away. Todays vehicles go 200, 300k so that cuts into car sales. In the rust belt areas you had to deal with the body falling apart, now with aluminum or galvanized panels vehicles last much longer, hell since 2015 F150 is all aluminum, they will never rust. So does Yamaha go back to 2 stroke? Not for me!

What we heard for years on the Chris Reid Yamaha blog while we were patiently waiting for a new sled design, was that corporate was not willing to invest in developing future sleds due to their low return on investment. How does Yamaha break the cycle of low sales and ROI?? Does the money to invest come from the undiscounted sales of non-current model sales?? Do they really think they are going to sell more sleds in 2019 than they did in 2018?? Is their enough profit in the SRX 200 to substantially change the R&D budget?? Was Chris Reid lying to us and did Yamaha Corp. open their purse?? If they did them when did they open it and how long befor this new pure Yamaha hits the showroom floor?? Just a few questions going through my head.

Again, there are factors to consider here. 4S keeps on running, why replace what is like new still. Winters have been mild and no snow to ride in many areas, cost a lot to chase the snow. Look what is for sale used, few Yamahas compared to all other brands. If I was running 2 stroke I would want to upgrade before the upcoming motor melt down. Look at the automotive industry, vehicles used to be good for 100k miles, then people ran away. Todays vehicles go 200, 300k so that cuts into car sales. In the rust belt areas you had to deal with the body falling apart, now with aluminum or galvanized panels vehicles last much longer, hell since 2015 F150 is all aluminum, they will never rust. So does Yamaha go back to 2 stroke? Not for me!

I don’t disagree with what you are saying but their strategy has them on life support. They can and should have done both 2 and 4 strokes and they would not be in a death spiral needing AC to survive.

I hope you guy's are right , I really do. But I just feel it in my gut and from a pure business stand point there going to pull the plug. My reasoning is this, I'm a cnc machinist at the last remnant of Bethlehem Steel in Bethlehem Pa. now called Lehigh Heavy Forge. In my shop we have the crane and machine capacity to handle work pieces up to 150 tons. We do a lot of Navy Nuclear, power generation and steel producing work. when we get in a new job that requires new or special tooling the cost from the likes of Greenleaf or Sandvik ect. ect. is astronomical! I can't imagine what it would cost to design, engineer and retool a production line for an entirely new sled or sled's, I'm sure well into the millions! With all the variables we have in this little niche market called snowmobiling, I don't see Yamaha getting there ROI out of an all new line of sled's! They can't continue on there current path, That's proven with there limited 19 release and current offers on all the carryovers! I see no other option for Yamaha then to help the dealers clear out the non-currents and pull the plug! Like I said, I ""HOPE"" you guys are right, and I truly hope I'm ""WRONG""!!!

When I look at the Yamaha snowmobile website I see sleds listed for 2017-2019.

I see the same LE model sled that I spring ordered for model year 2017 listed.
Can this same LE sled be purchased and what would be the price of it? Are they going to try and sell it at that years MSRP? Or will it be priced for what it's worth for being a two year old sled?

When I look at the Yamaha snowmobile website I see sleds listed for 2017-2019.

I see the same LE model sled that I spring ordered for model year 2017 listed.
Can this same LE sled be purchased and what would be the price of it? Are they going to try and sell it at that years MSRP? Or will it be priced for what it's worth for being a two year old sled?

There are likely dealer incentives and dealer discounts on the non-current models. Yamaha does now offer an inventory search so you can look around and see what’s out there in dealer stock. I believe they are also sitting on some sleds in warehouses that they have not shipped yet and are encouraging their dealers to use those as stock models instead of ‘19s. The only ‘19 fall stock models are ones that have sold well and they have no inventory remaining in a warehouse.

Those that are saying they are leaving Yamaha and buying elsewhere, goodbye and good luck! I am not going anywhere and neither is Yamaha, they are the best damn sleds on snow IMHO. They are not doing anything different that any other company does. When the auto manufactures see a back log of vehicles, they close plants and lay off employees and let inventory catch up. We have been in a strange weather pattern for a couple years, is it global warming or weather cycles, who the hell knows. We may be in for some huge winters again, (from my lips to Mother natures ears) you never know. If that does happen new sleds would be hard to find. For left over sleds selling lower then the new sled you bought, that happens, however you were first to the new technology. I purchased my 2017 F150 September of 2017 when 2018 hit the lots. Did I want a 2018 with the new grill, no I did not need the latest and greatest. So what did I gain by buying left over model, between rebate and employee price the truck was 10k off. Port Yamaha was offering some awesome deals on winders, 10k looked really good, did I want to buy a new one, hell yeah. However my old Iron just keeps going like the energizer bunny, so here I am for a few more years on mine.

You nailed it!!!!!Good humor with the sceptics its almost like Russian bots taking over the post....oh yea lets make the most advanced engine in motorsports history and then shut'er down 3 years later cause we suck...just made some popcorn:bash::yam:

The people who have waited so long for new Yamahas got rewarded with ArcticCat belt, chaincase, loose bolts, and all the other issues that come with Cats. No redesigned Apex, no 2stroke , no Rider forward......just Cats with decent engines. I wonder how many people would buy a new 2019 Chevy pickup that was in all reality a 2012 Ford f150, with a LS engine, and Chevy emblems? Apparently alot of TY guys would be good with that.

Then go get a Polaris or Ski-Doo and be happy. It says you ride an Apex so I don’t know why the hell you’re so worried about those of us who have purchased the “SR” sleds. I don’t know many people who buy things they hate. Yeah it’s a Cat, but contrary to what you might think... 1) There are a lot of happy Viper/Sidewinder customers and 2) The Japanese models which you consider “perfect” have had a whole host of issues over the years. Broken w-arms, broken welds, bent subframes, crap ball joints, faulty exhaust donuts, reverse levers that grind, handwarmers that don’t warm, etc. No they weren’t “perfect” by any means. I know I was a Nytro rider and the sled never handled right and rode rough. I wasn’t about to put thousands into it trying to re-engineer it. I threw tuner skis on it and survived. The subframe bent twice for basically no reason so I just rode it with one ski a bit ahead of the other. There was no point in replacing.

I guess for the people that liked the old style Apex/Vector they might have had less issues, but I wanted a more modern, lighter rider forward sled. In that area the Pro-Cross is light years ahead of the FX that Yamaha built. If you hate it... fine don’t buy it. Your comments add nothing to the discussion. I like others hope that Yamaha does build a great modern chassis in the future, but I wanted it today with the Yamaha engine. For my style of riding the Viper works great. Ride what you want and quit belittling people for their choices.

I don't consider the Japan models perfect. Just like I don't consider vipers and sidewinders to be a Yamaha. Just like an older cat with a susuki engine a suski snowmobile. I'm glad that you like your Yami powered Arctic cat. That will work out good because that's your only choice for a Yamaha engine anymore. You say you hope Yami continues to build sleds in the future, but love your pro crosses. Lol. Both sides of your mouth there

I don't consider the Japan models perfect. Just like I don't consider vipers and sidewinders to be a Yamaha. Just like an older cat with a susuki engine a suski snowmobile. I'm glad that you like your Yami powered Arctic cat. That will work out good because that's your only choice for a Yamaha engine anymore. You say you hope Yami continues to build sleds in the future, but love your pro crosses. Lol. Both sides of your mouth there

I think it’s funny that you’re so bothered that many of us like our Pro-cross Yamahas. Honestly why would anyone continue to own something they didn’t like? You hate them so the simple solution is not to buy one and shop another brand. Sure I hope they build them in the future and their next model is better than the Pro-cross just like the Pro-cross was better then the Nytro. The sit-down sleds are gone industry wide and if Yamaha builds their own all new sled the design is much more likely to mimic the Pro-cross and not the Apex/Vector. I buy what works for me today.

In a few years when it’s time to upgrade I’ll buy a Yamaha if it’s still what works for me regardless if it’s Yamaha’s own sled or a joint-venture sled. If Yamaha pulls out I’ll consider Cat, Ski-Doo or Polaris depending on who offers what I want. If Cat is still using Yamaha engines that will also be part of my decision. I’m more concerned about enjoying the rest of the winter with a couple more rides then what I’ll buy in 4-5 years. We’ve had a great snow year and I’ve been enjoying it.

im not shure if you guys remember when Yamaha called back all 1981 srx 500 models and pulled back all dealer inventory of 1982 srx and disposed of them somewhere then what you got was the 1983 VMAX 540 after that Yamaha thought of pulling the plug on sleds back 1991 then what you got was VMAX4 so its hard to tell but did you know TEXTRON at one time back in the 70s had stake in Polaris I was looking at old you tube promos for Polaris and all the others and there it was plain as day polaris is a TEXTRON ezgo company ?? but at one time skidoo was skidoo now they changed the ATV to CANAM and arcticat did too with TEXTRON

The 1981 SRX was a 440, the very rare 1982 model was the SRX 500 and those were the recalled machines. There are still '81 SRX 440's floating around. The '82 SRX 500 is a rare animal....only a few exist. 1981 was the first year to have the new hood design though carried on with the VMax 540 models. They sold the VM540's from '83-87 in the US market but continued them for 2 more years through the 1989 season in Canada.

Back