• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

04-05 Burning oil

Smokey

Expert
I keep hearing about some oil buring issues with the 03 and a change of rings with the 04-05. I had an 03 with 3600 miles when I got rid of it and now an 04 with 4,000 miles. Niether have any oil buring issues. Does anyone have any oil burning issues with the 04 or 05 ???

Burning oil

I bought a brand new Rx-1 in 03. At the end of that first season I took it to the dealer with 5500 miles and it was burning about 1 qt. per 3 hundred miles. When dealer tore it apart they found the engine was full of carbon. Called Yamaha and they said people in northern U.S. and eastern New England getting carbon in their engines due to gas sold in these spots. Carbon deposits get on the rings, glaze the cylinders, the rings can't seat, and then the engine starts to burn oil. Yamaha recomended to run 2 oz. of RINGFREE per tank in order to cure this problem. Anyway I put another 5000 miles then traded for a 05 RX-1. The 05 I ran Ringfree in it religiously since day one and have 4800 miles on it now with no oil consumption problems. Is it because they changed the rings in 05, or because of the ringfree that have run through it that it doesn't burn oil? I don't know, just thought I'd list my experiences.

I was given the same explanation as Highmiler. I was told '03 and '04 used weaker springs than '05. Whatever the explanation, it was the end of my sled...9 months and counting at the dealer, with no end in sight, and Yamaha won't keep me updated.

Jim

They had an 03 in Jackman maine that used oil like crazy / every 200-300- a quart / they took it apart about three times before they figured out that a piece was missing or inserted wrong / you might want to call them and ask what they found / ask for Scott / he's the owners son / Jackman Power Sports, Jackman , Maine /later /jim-bob

jim-bob said:
They had an 03 in Jackman maine that used oil like crazy / every 200-300- a quart / they took it apart about three times before they figured out that a piece was missing or inserted wrong / you might want to call them and ask what they found / ask for Scott / he's the owners son / Jackman Power Sports, Jackman , Maine /later /jim-bob
Hi jim remember my 03 it had the air box mods on the day my buddie and myself came up to your camp for a ride over to rangley,he ha the 800ho rev and my sled was using 1 qt. per 100 miles,we headed to rev it up for some oil,well anyways i was told by my now dealer,who than tried to help me out stated that if i still had my 03 yammi has admitted that the 03 had ring issues and he could of tore it apart and just replaced them,now this was info he gave to me last month when i picked up my new 06 attak,oh well by by to the 03 lol ;)!

Rx-1

Hey Jim Bob, do you guys have enough snow to ride there yet? Do you ever ride crosscountry towards the Allagash region? Last year I left Fort Kent on the river and went all the way to Greenville. Awesome ride.

I remember the oil problem you had / last year I was talking to Scott in Jackman when he told me about the part either missing or miss installed I dont remember which / as far as snow / nothing sticking but I keep an eye on the Caribou and Presque Isle web cams up your way/ later

Highmiler you said to use ringfree? local auto parts store did not have anything like that. Maybe a product called ringseal? Also bought a product called seafoam and valvemedic. Any help here :rocks: I have 2 rx one useing about a quart every 300 miles and ones not ;)!

Back