• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

05 RX-1 Died on trail

fourmile

Country
USA
Snowmobile
20005 Yamaha RX1, Yamaha 2005 RS Venture, Yamaha 2014 RS Venture
My 2005 RX-1 has been running super without any starting issues. It has about 5500 miles on it. On the trail today after riding about 80 miles I lost the gauge cluster/speedo. I assume I also lost my lights. After maybe 5 miles the engine started to sputter and did not have much power. It was also backfiring some. I stopped and then tried to get regoing but it didn't have enough to go forward. I shut it off and then tried to restart and I had nothing left on the battery. I w.as able to get it towed back home. I checked all fuses including the two main. They all check good with a meter. I would appreciate suggestions for my next troubleshooting steps.

My 2005 RX-1 has been running super without any starting issues. It has about 5500 miles on it. On the trail today after riding about 80 miles I lost the gauge cluster/speedo. I assume I also lost my lights. After maybe 5 miles the engine started to sputter and did not have much power. It was also backfiring some. I stopped and then tried to get regoing but it didn't have enough to go forward. I shut it off and then tried to restart and I had nothing left on the battery. I w.as able to get it towed back home. I checked all fuses including the two main. They all check good with a meter. I would appreciate suggestions for my next troubleshooting steps.
First check=battery,with multimeter what is voltage at battery&follow to fuse block.also have known issues with corrosion at electrical connector at key switch.

First check=battery,with multimeter what is voltage at battery&follow to fuse block.also have known issues with corrosion at electrical connector at key switch.
Thanks Brotherdan. I will check the battery issue and the key switch.

could still be other wiring as stated above too. I'm guessing if you charge the battery the sled will start then just figure out why it's not charging, fairly simple system.

could still be other wiring as stated above too. I'm guessing if you charge the battery the sled will start then just figure out why it's not charging, fairly simple system.
I agree. I think the battery is a victim instead of the cause. Something caused the gauge unit to die causing the other controls (TPS,TORS,etc.) to flake out as well. I was shocked when all the fuses checked out as good.

it won't blow fuses when the battery dies, basically just like a car it will run until there is not enough voltage to keep it running, your gauges quitting and it missing is a classic case of losing voltage. CDI controls everything and it needs voltage to run. You should get roughly 14v @5k rpm, at idle I get a little over 13v. If it is the stator it's a fairly easy job for most.

it won't blow fuses when the battery dies, basically just like a car it will run until there is not enough voltage to keep it running, your gauges quitting and it missing is a classic case of losing voltage. CDI controls everything and it needs voltage to run. You should get roughly 14v @5k rpm, at idle I get a little over 13v. If it is the stator it's a fairly easy job for most.
That makes a lot of sense. I will check it out. Thanks for your input.

Had to do it on my old 03 RX1, yes pretty easy job.

that is all good stuff to check and will most likely be the problem. mine was a bit different but i did still have battery power so make sure you get there first.

Another thought, you mentioned the regulator was replaced last year. Lots of the guys on here have poor experiences with after market electrical components vs OEM. Just a thought, you likely have all you need to sort this one out. Good luck.

Another thought, you mentioned the regulator was replaced last year. Lots of the guys on here have poor experiences with after market electrical components vs OEM. Just a thought, you likely have all you need to sort this one out. Good luck.
That was a good call YukonMP. I was not getting more than 12 charging volts to the battery. One of the four diodes in the voltage regular failed multi-meter tests. I swapped it with the regulator from my 2005 Venture and saw the charging voltage return to 14 plus volts. The regulator was about a year old. I purchased it from what I thought was a reputable company (not a Yamaha parts store) . It just could have been one of those things. Thanks for everyone's help.

Back