• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 Attak with major chaincase problem

drfbuster

Extreme
I have an 06 Attak that I took on a 1100 mile trip across the UP last weekend I had 3,000 miles on the sled when I started and well on the way back at over 4,000 miles some how I lost all of my chaincase oil and ruined my gears. I have always put in 8 oz. of Amsoil gear lube and I checked it before I left.... The only thing I can come up with is maybe I should have been running at the REV level of the dipstick instead of the STD level so I figures I had to much oil and it blew the seal but I always felt that the REV level didnt allow enough oil in the chaincase.... Has anyone else had this happened? or maybe know why it happened? Also is this going to be expensive to fix? Thanks drf

drfbuster said:
I have an 06 Attak that I took on a 1100 mile trip across the UP last weekend I had 3,000 miles on the sled when I started and well on the way back at over 4,000 miles some how I lost all of my chaincase oil and ruined my gears. I have always put in 8 oz. of Amsoil gear lube and I checked it before I left.... The only thing I can come up with is maybe I should have been running at the REV level of the dipstick instead of the STD level so I figures I had to much oil and it blew the seal but I always felt that the REV level didnt allow enough oil in the chaincase.... Has anyone else had this happened? or maybe know why it happened? Also is this going to be expensive to fix? Thanks drf
The 06 chaincases were cast in such a way that it was possible for the sealing O-ring to roll in and for the chain case to leak all the oil out. The newer chaincases have a lip cast into them to keep that from happening. When you replace the gears, consider replacing the chaincase cover as well.

This has been discussed many times here over the last few years.

it has also been speculated..the rubber dipstick plug has a vent cast into it..this vent gets plugged or has some extra rubber from the mold blocking its venting capabilities .on long high speed runs the case pressurises and pukes the oil...the same thing has happened to my buds diamond drive on his cat...

Happened to me with my 07 Apex GT; lost all my oil and burnt the gears and chain, I was under warranty. :-o

Happened to me also on my 06 Apex RTX with 3,XXX miles.

I had a catastrophic failure resulting in a busted chain, gears, reverse linkage, chain case.. the fragmented hot metal flashed the foam on the side panel, catching fire and melted hoses and the side panels. In all it was an $1800 bill just for parts.

Also, something that people should note - the new updated case and gasket are a better design, but they are not perfect. My dad has an Apex with the deeper lip on the case and he noticed some issues with his gasket as well, it was starting to roll and stretch. I would highly recommend that people check this out every year and consider replacing just for peace of mind.

I had my '08 last year fail at 5000kms...I added extra grooves in dipstick for MORE VENTING...it seems to be happening more to high speed riders

This also occurred with my Attak at 3777 miles. Everything was fixed under warranty. Not a fun wrench in the works when you're in the middle of Northern Ontario.

Jon

When you run the oil low it will get hot and you will smell the strong odour of hot gear oil.Smells like someone set fire to the local garbage dump.Sometimes it pays to be a auto mechanic to reconize these smells before it destroys everything. ;)!

I blew 2 chaincases. I put an '05 cover on becuase it has bigger edge & is aluminum to dissapate heat better. I also cut the notch in dipstick, made dipstick magnetic & use fully synthetic oil to STD level. I also installed high perf chain. Not sure if all this was necessary, but i was EXTREMELY aggrivated & was trying to make sure problem didn't happen 3rd time...

Took chaincase yesterday. But my problem is the ear the tensioner pivots on broke off. Anybody ever seen that. Just after replaceing donut gaskets as well. More down time. :die

Thanks for all of the replies everyone.Where do I cut the grooves in the top of the dipstick and how will that help because the grooves will be sealed inside the top of the case.

Ignore the REVERSE side of the Stick. Use the STD side. Add 8.5 ozs of oil and that should take you to the top of the STD side's arrow. 8.5 ozs is spec.

When cutting the vents, you are cutting in the rubber part of the dip stick on its OD. It helps if you stagger the cuts so you do not have a straight line from the top to the bottom of the plug. (i.e. cut through the first ring and then stager your cuts through lower rings on the rubber plug's OD.) You need to let out pressure, but not the oil. Don't over do the cutting.

Back