• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 RS Rage: How to Lower Primary Clutch Engagement

leadsled

Hello

I want to simply lower my 06 Rs Rage clutch engagement rpm 300 to 500 rpm. It currently engages at 3600-3700 rpm, which is too high to smoothly ride at very low speeds thru dense woods. The high engagement requires too much throttle feathering at very low speeds.

I believe that I need a primary spring with a lower preload number. The current spring has a 40 lb preload. Would a 30 lbs preload spring solve my problems?

spring

go to a white-pink-white primary spring
Part# 9051-583L5-00
This will lower your engagment as couple hundred rpms it has less preload.

on a similar note

i noticed my rs venture slips the belt a fair bit

at start off and slow trail speed

would a tighter belt to sheave clearance help this?

mine is around .075

the polaris used to be .015

i know what you are talking about. our rages act the same way. when i asked my dealer about it , i was told there is a small hump of sorts at the base of the clutch arms. have it ground off and engagement should smooth out to your liking. did'nt have it done but i trust clutching guru dealer is correct. ;)!

from Shed:

No it will not....

First thing to do is to make sure your sheave surfaces are clean:
Break cleaner for oil/grease
Carb cleaner or Acetone for black trace (glazed rubber)
Light touch of very fine metal sand paper for clear brilliant glaze

Side traction (read pressure) should be sufficient from the stock settings but keep an eye on it (should say finger) in monitoring the temp of the primary with your hand after different riding condition. In all case, you should be able to hold it still.

Do not keep you max RPM above the peak HP unnessary. If its the case, take this opportunity to balance your side pressure. Mine was a bit on the hot side & was having 2 to 3 hundred RPM to get rid of.... added a gram to the tip rivet of the ramp; life is good now. Does not seem to affect too much my secondary settings yet but for sure this is the next place for escaladation if need to be.

RS Rage Primary Spring Change

I did change my primary spring to a Yellow-Pink-Yellow with 30 kg preload and that solved my problems. The machine is a completely different sled now. It engages at 3000 rpm and disengages slightly below that level. I can now ride slowly through tight or bumpy trails without the constant engagement/disengagement I had before when the sled engaged at 3600+ rpm with the Blue-Green-Blue spring.

The shift-out speed is still at 8500 rpm and the sled quickly ran up to 101 mph (meter reading) today before I had to slow down for a turn. Life is good.

shed said:
on a similar note

i noticed my rs venture slips the belt a fair bit

at start off and slow trail speed

mine is around .075

the polaris used to be .015

Yes the sled won't engage so violently if you get your beldt clearance tighter and won't slip so bad but it's a pain on the yamah's to take the spider apart and change the split collars.
I'm glad your happy with the spring ;)!

Back