• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

06 Vector GT blown belt ripped thru radiator hose!

Country
USA
So, I had to take "the ride of shame" last week when my 06 Vector GT blew a belt and sliced through a radiator hose (for the life of me, why didn't Yamaha have this section of hose protected???); towed by a Cat to a drop off point & then ride two-up back for the truck/trailer...

It was my first U.P. ride with this "new to me sled" and Wow, what a disappointment that a simple belt failure would cause such a problem! I've asked the dealer to fab a guard to prevent this from occurring again...

Great sled! First 4-stroke & love the gas mileage (fueled 1 time to every other sled in the group's two)!

Any other issues/problems that I can prevent now before going riding again?
:whine:

I don't have mine to look at right now, but am pretty sure it has an aluminum guard to protect the hose. Were you using a Yamaha belt? They usually delaminate instead of blowing apart.

Yamaha belts can and do explode. After replacing several belts over the 29,000 kms on my Vector, I now know the signs before a belt explosion. You feel a sharp slap on your left foot and you may see belt fuzz in the left knee vent area. The belt just delaminated, so stop right away and change the belt before it grenades. Almost always happens to me like clockwork after about a 1,000 kms on the belt and running WOT or near that for several kms. Now I just take it a little easier, and not pin it so much and I get much better belt life.

Only 1000 km per belt? I hammer my belts and am always pinning the throttle and had 1 delaminate after 3000 miles. It delaminated and created a very noticeable vibration. I have absolutely tried to destroy the 805 belt I am running now. I didn't even break it in. It still looks like new. I am just wondering if you have a clutch alignment problem or something else going on. 5000 km you should get per belt I think.

Mine delaminated mostly; alot of belt fuzz everywhere, but it did chunk apart. There is an aluminum guard partially covering the hose, but not all of it, unfortunately...
It was a Yamaha belt.

The lower hose on my 05 Vec is exposed as well. Mine has a very small cut in it from the time I blew a belt earlier this season. No bulging but I should change it or at least put hose tape over it. A guard is needed and I will fab one up in the off season...been putting it off too long.

Maybe I will fab one up too. Or perhaps cut and zip tie a slightly larger hose on top of existing hose? I'll check mine out after our next trip.

I carry a 1" plastic hose coupler and hose clamps with me for these typs of failures. Never know when a rad my fall off or rear heat exchanger developes a leak.

Metallicat, I think the most that I ever got out of a belt was 3000 kms, even when the sled was new. Tried the XS-805 belt, but only lasted half that, so back to the 8DN. A couple of years back, I had a friend align my clutches with a clutch tool as was blowing belts more frequently. New clutch springs, weights and secondary ramps. From then on, now back to about 3000 kms per belt. Probably just me, because I must lug around 300 lbs + when on my tours. My Warrior at the time would at most get 1000 kms out of a belt, one of the many reasons that I sold that sled.

thrasher said:
Metallicat, I think the most that I ever got out of a belt was 3000 kms, even when the sled was new. Tried the XS-805 belt, but only lasted half that, so back to the 8DN. A couple of years back, I had a friend align my clutches with a clutch tool as was blowing belts more frequently. New clutch springs, weights and secondary ramps. From then on, now back to about 3000 kms per belt. Probably just me, because I must lug around 300 lbs + when on my tours. My Warrior at the time would at most get 1000 kms out of a belt, one of the many reasons that I sold that sled.

Wow , I got 9200 kms out of my last belt on 03 RX

I'm jealous, but not much else that I can do. Fortunately, I stock up on Yamaha belts every summer in Syracuse when I visit. Belts only $65, half of what we pay here in Canada at a dealership.

Back