• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

07 apex rpm's very low and stalls when warm on idle

thor452 said:
Fabio said:
Tbay Sledhead how's your cold idle when you first start your sled?

Over the weekend I was riding with a few other apex's which don't have this problem and we all noticed that my sled does not sound the same on cold starts as the other apex's,

Sled starts fine every time, idles at 2000 when it's cold at start up than with in a few seconds the rpm's start to fluctuate up and down 1500 to 2000, with out touching the throttle the motor does not sound like it's running right, I'm not a motor wizard so it's hard to explain but sounds like it's stumbling along like it's being starved from something, as soon as I touch the throttle even just enough to raise the rpm's a hair the sled sounds good the way it's supposed to,
After riding all weekend with others apex 's mine sounds way off,

Does the IAC also control cold start ups?

I am almost 100% certian that your iratic iddle is due to the bad tps that yamaha had for awhile and they did a recall on the sport bikes but not on the sleds was coverd in the form over a year ago quite extensively and if you have an 06 or 07 sled you may just want to replace that even if you think it is okay.

Also the rest of you look very closely at the vacume line that feeds the fuel regulator it has been found to have a hole that can only be seen when the line is removed.

hope it helps if not im out of sugestions sorry.

Where is this vac line that feeds the fuel regulator???

Kinger had a post with pictures he had similar problems with his turbo build and thougt it was related to the build and it took him quite some time to find it as you couldnt find it tell it was removed. ill try and find his post and report back.

Another one here looking for the answer. Mine idles around 1000 and has a mind of it's own weather to say running or not. Put a whole can of sea foam through it this weekend and didn't make a difference other than it would idle at 1000 smoother. C :rocks: ranked up the black idle knob which kicks up the idle for a second until the computer takes over and brings the idle back down. Sure sounds like a possible vac leak or bad tps but haven't torn into it yet. :rocks:

I noticed when I play with the throttle when the sled is warm that sometimes the idle with go to 1500 (normal) than I touch the throttle again and it will go back down to 1000 or so, if it was a vac leak will it idle good by tapping the throttle than go back down after tapping the throttle again?

I found this on the net dated 2007, could this be part of or the problem?

I thought I would venture into the land of new technology and try to explain how some of our new 4-stroke features work then sprinkle in a previously unannounced specification or two. This week I’ll start with one I found intriguing. What we have referred to as the EBRS or engine brake reduction system. I did a little research and discovered a little more than meets the eye. The engine braking control is actually only part of a new system called ISC (Idle Speed Control). The heart of which is an electronically controlled air-valve in the intake tract, which has the ability to override the throttle setting to control idle speed as determined and executed by the ECU (digital ignition /engine control module).
Okay so what the heck does this all mean?
Simply put the computer analyzes engine RPM, coolant temperature and throttle (buterfly) position information taken from dedicated sensors. It then operates the intake air (ISC) valve to add or reduce air to the cylinder. This is a multi-function system. When the engine is cold, the valve opens to advance (raises) the RPM until the coolant warms at which time it adjusts air flow (closes) to hold a constant 1500rpm idle speed. When engine RPM is high and the throttle valve is shut, the ISC valve is rapidly cycled, allowing precisely measured amounts of air in, relieving the vacuum or ‘pumping’ action created by the intake pulling against the closed throttle valves (engine braking).
Personally I like the effect of some engine braking as I’ve adapted my riding style to use it to my advantage. I was happy to find the new 130 engine has struck a nice balance between a free wheeling 2-smoke and a nose dive. Chopping the throttle still results in enough deceleration to negate the need of using the brakes in most corners but not so much so that the sled becomes a see-saw in the rough stuff. An added bonus, reducing some of the engine drag makes the transition from 2-stroke to 4-stroke easier for the uninitiated, removing one more hurdle for those still in denial
- See more at: http://snowmobiles.yamahablogs.ca/2007/ ... gKtYa.dpuf

Just got back from a couple of weeks riding in Quebec. Sled now wants to idle at 1000 when first started until warmed up. Then idles at 1900 when warm. (set too high, didn't have a screwdriver too adjust). Sometime the idle will drop too 1000 and if rpm throttled up to 2500 and and slowly let off the throttle it would idle OK. What the problem is I don't know. TPS maybe. Fabio as to that explanation of the ISC these years of sleds do not have a electronically controlled air-valve. Not sure what year that came out in.

Tbay how were the trails ? Hope you had a good time, I'm going in a few weeks, awesome trails in Quebec...

Tbay your sled and mine must of been built on the same day lol,
What you are explaining is a twin of what mine is doing, if I play with the throttle when I stop it will stay at 1500 or so, last night when I got back from riding I let it idle for a minute or so the sled was idling around 1500 after playing with the throttle I turned the high beam on and the idle went down to 900-1000 the second I touched the high beam button,

I want to keep the sled another year so I'm going to bring it in to a very good dealer near by me I'll let you guys know what they find or say,

I'm also hearing a slight pop coming from the motor when it idles low, I tested the TPS and the reading were good, beats me...

I did the Gaspe Bay, the trails were excellent. Some of the guys that we met down there rode from Quebec City up around Lac St Jean and said that they were excellent also. Did some sledding down in Maine, trails there were also excellent. Hated every minute of it. LOL. I've also tested the tps and it checks out OK. Used to see a lot of Yammies there but now it is all Ski Doo. Lots of the 1200's.

Fabio said:
Tbay how were the trails ? Hope you had a good time, I'm going in a few weeks, awesome trails in Quebec...

Tbay your sled and mine must of been built on the same day lol,
What you are explaining is a twin of what mine is doing, if I play with the throttle when I stop it will stay at 1500 or so, last night when I got back from riding I let it idle for a minute or so the sled was idling around 1500 after playing with the throttle I turned the high beam on and the idle went down to 900-1000 the second I touched the high beam button,

I want to keep the sled another year so I'm going to bring it in to a very good dealer near by me I'll let you guys know what they find or say,

I'm also hearing a slight pop coming from the motor when it idles low, I tested the TPS and the reading were good, beats me...

Count me in, exact same problem to a tee. Also have developed a cold start stumble, starts and idles good for 10 seconds, then rough and low for 15 seconds, then recovers and runs fine. Hoping the two issues are linked. Other than that sled runs great.

Yes 02xtreme I have that too, I forgot to mention that, I going to bring it in tomorrow I'll keep you guys posted,

Went for a 50km ride, played with the Co settings entire time. If I put all cylinders at +10 idle got worse and constantly idled around 1000 rpm. At zero idled 50% good, 50% 1000 rpm. When I put all cylinders down to -5 idled better but still going down to 1000 RPM. When I put it at -10 instantly noticed the difference, ran like a champ, idle perfectly even after sitting for 5 min. Blipped the throttle, did several runs with stops, did about 25km and idled perfect the entire time. Did I FINALLY solve this 3 year problem....lets hope :-o

We all seem to have old ones. I have 06, don't have the problem yet but it is just a matter of time. Check all hoses maybe a slight crack is causing vacuum leak.
It would be nice to be a cheep fix.

I've check every hose all looks good,
When it idles low around 1000 and I play with the throttle sometimes it goes to 1500 and stays there,
If it was a vacuum leak wouldn't it always idle rough?

Extreme keep us posted if your fix works for you. I have the same cold start sympton as you. I adjusted my co from -5 to -10 seems a little better in that the rpm does not fall as low but it still drops from 2000 ish to 1500 with a rough idle sound then recovers but almost surges a bit. Ive been lucky not having the issues so much warm. Only on cold start when the warm up light is on. Even when the sled has been parked for a hour it starts up and idles great at 2000 rpm nice and crisp but with no warm light on. start it from cold with warm up light on will stumble like i mentioned.

I have been noticing alot of you guys that have this problem are in Canada.wonder if it has something to do with the fuel quality _ octane level_ethanol? maybe even leaving too much carbon ?

Back