• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

08 FXNYTRO STD. Model whats the real story

ednpatty

Okay first I'll introduce us, many former dootalker's may remember. Me and my wife live in upstate NY and ride Tug Hill area, both of us coming from a mx racing background our whole lives love to ride alot and pound the rough stuff averaging 3-4k miles a season. We where down at the local dealer where they have a new 08 FXNytro STD. model for 7k plus tax seems like a steal, we have been reading watching and interested in this model since it came out. It will mostly be for the wife to ride, last season she rode a 08 TNT XP(ride quality was crap) for a while and a 07 Phazer FX(fun but rear skid failed twice and other small issues) both of which we no longer own. Reading about the Nytro its seems a toss up, mainly we our concerned with the "talk" of quickly worn out front ends and bending nose clips along with twitchy handling, anyone who can comment on those issues? Also how is the over-all steering effort? after 3 wrist related injuries a hard steering sled inflams her tunnel carpel within 75miles. Just looking into some honest truth of the sled and looking to compare it to a 07 Dragon(my current trail sled) as far as ride quality and big bump abilities without bottoming out every other hit, and overall steering effort(the Dragon steers harder then my IQ race chassis everyone who rides it will admit even set-up and with 08 updates). I read almost every post here since dec of 07 and its a 50/50 love it or junk it type of posts just trying to see whats what as I know from dootalk how things can get hyped up for nothing on a forum.

I can't speak for anyone else here but I can speak for My Wife and her Nytro. She loves her sled and she came off a GSX Rev limited. On many rides she would tell Me that the Nytro was by far the best sled she ever owned. She loves the way it handles and feels it turns better than any sled she has ever owned including many Cats in the ZR chassis. I on the other hand felt her sled was too soft and twitchy. I think My impressions are not valid since the sled is set very soft because she weighs over 100 lbs less than Me. Her front ball joints and A arm bushings are junk and need replacement. I also have to mention that I put Pilot skis on her sled and she says it doesn't dart or hunt at all and is very easy to steer. I feel the key to any of these 4 stroke sleds is to keep the weight off the skis as much as posible and the handling will be very good. I also have Pilot skis on My Apex and it steers very easy and feels very light over the skis.

Everyone has a different opinion on these sleds mine isn't in its favor. There is a very good reason why yamaha made all the changes to the front ends for 09. Lots of guys love theirs I think it depends how you ride and more specifically how quick you ride. The faster the speed on a nytro the worse the handling gets at least from all the riding I did on one showed.

I will be dubbed the broken record but read here and start counting the failiers http://ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php?t=58987 I count give or take around 40 bent ones. Also note some are even on wives sleds that aren't ridden hard. Dave from powderlites bent his just running trails, he's a straight up guy.

The a-arm bushings are plastic and allow for lots of slop. The lower ball joints did not hold up on mine My left one was sloppy at 500 miles. Some of the guys I race with have bent both a-arms and spindles but after reinforcing the replacement units, they held up just fine. I didn't reinforce mine and only tweaked my front end due is a high speed wreck where the sled cart wheeled. I bent it back with a pry bar and rode it another 1200+ miles.

As far as handling, the sled takes a while to set up. The stock skis suck for off trail riding but I don't mind them for hard conditions or on set up trails.

I think the issues are overblown and I like my sled. My biggest gripe was the 7.4 gallon tank. The std. model needs stiffer rear springs and to have the shocks revalved because it is not balanced with the front end. It will bottom out harshly if you ride it hard through the whoops.

As far as steering effort, I don't know? I didn't notice that it steered any harder than anything else I've got.

Thanks for your honest replies, Im going to see what the dealer has to say regarding how they handled any issues on sold units that came back. We also planned to install the Ulmer bushing kit(did the same on all our Revs) Mill the 2.5mil off the top ball joint, and flip the ski rubbers, and I was gonna weld in a cross-x section in the lower front clip I even considered building my own clip for a spare(our family builds dirt modifieds so I have a full machine shop at hand). I see everyone seems to feel the STD is to stiff in the small junk but bottoms out easily in the rough sounds like another REV/XP type set-up which really stunk out of the box. I dont want to have to spend all season doing revalves/and custom spring packages to get it to be able to take some normal trail junk, been there on my Doos and by the time we got them decent alot of time and $$ was wasted as my out of the box Polaris had ten times better suspension quality and abilities, but its extremely heavy steering and poor mpg is whats got us looking to get a Yami 4-stroke.

sleds

ASk Pro116(Brian).He had a dragon and has ridden the nytros.Hes a very honest guy and would tell you what he thinks.Shane

I purchased a Nytro RTX last year from Preferred in Brewerton and keep my sled in Parish. I ride from the Grist mill to the Flat rock mostley making some loops or other stops in Redfield/Oceola and up to Turin. I put 1200 very rough miles on the sled this past winter and had ZERO problems with it. I ride with 3 other guys and we all enjoy riding bumps as hard as we can, which means we ride too fast for the conditions most times. A couple things helped the performance of my Nytro: Flipping the rubbers was huge. I also offset the ski in the spindle to be wider by moving the spacer. I also pulled the strap up one hole in the front.

That said, the skis need to be replaced if you go off trail at all...they have no floatation. I am also going to buy Ulmers kit as a preventative measure and do the camber mod. Then going to have Hygear do my suspension. I weight 285lbs and feel that with as hard as we go I could benefit from some revalving or further set up. I came off a 2004 Rev 600 and the Nytro is a big improvement but does require rider set up time. I found that it had bad inside ski lift at slower speeds in tight trails and became tippy. Most attibute that to the Fox floats in the RTX though. 7k sounds nice to me...I paid close to $9800 last year and would do it again. Good Luck!

Well alot of the so called "TALK" on here is done by people who owned or still own 08 Nytro's. In my case I really liked alot of things about the sled. The seating position is awesome.. The large runnings boards are excellent.. The chassis is light and nimble. Awesome motor with tons of tourque. The handling can be twitchy by times depending on the conditions. I never rode mine with the stock skis. I ran C&A's. Poor top end.. poor handwarmers.. Wet left boot from snow melting. (fixed for 09). Then the weak front end.. ball joints and a-arm bushings along with the complete front sub-frame are crap. However these are supposed to be fixed for 09. The sled should of had more testing before it was released to the public. However whats done is done.. I'd buy an 08 if the dealer would be willing to install all the updates are their expense. I doubt they would. But you could ask. Call me crazy but I'm considering getting an 09. ;)!

jds1000 said:
I can't speak for anyone else here but I can speak for My Wife and her Nytro. She loves her sled and she came off a GSX Rev limited. On many rides she would tell Me that the Nytro was by far the best sled she ever owned. She loves the way it handles and feels it turns better than any sled she has ever owned including many Cats in the ZR chassis. I on the other hand felt her sled was too soft and twitchy. I think My impressions are not valid since the sled is set very soft because she weighs over 100 lbs less than Me. Her front ball joints and A arm bushings are junk and need replacement. I also have to mention that I put Pilot skis on her sled and she says it doesn't dart or hunt at all and is very easy to steer. I feel the key to any of these 4 stroke sleds is to keep the weight off the skis as much as posible and the handling will be very good. I also have Pilot skis on My Apex and it steers very easy and feels very light over the skis.
wow she liked the nytro over the gsx? that's the total opposite of my experience.

RSD said:
jds1000 said:
wow she liked the nytro over the gsx? that's the total opposite of my experience.

She really liked her GSX but felt the Nytro handled and steered better. She also prefers the seating postion of the Nytro, it doesn't bother her knees like the Rev. The only thing she had a problem with was getting used to the instant throttle response of the 4 stroke. Other than that she feels the Nytro is a blast to ride and in her words "this sled just begs to be ridden fast"!

ednpatty said:
I see everyone seems to feel the STD is to stiff in the small junk but bottoms out easily in the rough sounds like another REV/XP type set-up which really stunk out of the box. I dont want to have to spend all season doing revalves/and custom spring packages to get it to be able to take some normal trail junk, been there on my Doos and by the time we got them decent alot of time and $$ was wasted as my out of the box Polaris had ten times better suspension quality and abilities, but its extremely heavy steering and poor mpg is whats got us looking to get a Yami 4-stroke.

I felt my standard Nytro handled the chatter and small whoops quite well. It was the big stuff and g-outs where the stock rear skid could not keep up with the front end as it was both sprung and valved too softly for my 200 lbs.

Historically, Polaris sleds have always rode well. Ride quality has traditionally been one of their strong points. Depending on your wife's weight and riding style, chances are you will end up playing with either springs or valving on the Nytro. The standard's rear shocks kinda suck because only the rear shock is adjustable and that is for compression only. The center shock has no adjustment other than pre-load.

I love my nytro. All this talk on this website is mostly that. Talk. I will admit theres some issue's but not as many as some would have you think. If I were you I'd do what I'm going to do to mine to fix it before it happens.

Brass oilite bushings from Ulmer are a must! - This is common on a lot of sleds not just the nytro.

Have the Dealer replace the ball joints to the new ones. As the old 08 ones will ear out in 1000 miles. This will be free.

Machine the upper ball joint down to bring in the camber angle. Directions are on this site somewhere. - This is only a handling issue. Not Really needed.

If you really want to be sure, gusset the inner bulkhead like the iron dog sleds.. Again this is not needed but why not do it.

The a arms gusseting is not needed in my opinion. I'd rather break and a arm then the frame.

Seven grand for the Nytro is a steal, in my opinion. The FX Nytro is the best Yamaha we have ever owned, we ride in Boonville all the time as well. This thing is a ROCKET out of the hole, tops out around 95-100, and is great on gas. Downside: Small gas tank, crappy ball joints. Upside: That 4-stroke triple is unbelievable. Get the suspension adjusted for the rider it works fine on the bad stuff, outstanding on the smoother stuff. Ours is at the dealer right now waiting for the new ball joints to come in, otherwise we LOVE the sled, I think your wife would love it as well. I also have a '07 Apex ER, love that as well, probably the best groomed trail cruiser made, not as good on the rough stuff - suspension is a little soft for that - but the 110mph top end is a thrill!!! Wig

Back