• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

09 ball joints

cawcislo said:
I guess this is something you can expect on a brand new design (08 Nytro). I'm sure a year or two from now these issues will get resolved, but you would hope that a company like Yamaha would have done a lot more real world testing on these sleds to see these issues (bending a-arms and subframes, icing tunnels, squeeking ball joints). I'm sure someo of us would pay to be test pilots for a year and put the sleds through their paces. It's still amazing how in 2009 we're still dealing poor engineering/craftsmanship.

Don't be so sure! Yamaha has had the slider wear issues for 4 years now. The 5'th year is comming up and the fools have done nothing to change this. Its only a matter of putting on the correct size boggie wheels. My bushings are worn out in the ski spindles but the ball joints seem OK after 5000 miles on my XTX. A bit of play but none more than expected. I've heard complaining about hand warmers for 4 years now and I'll bet they still come out with another poor design... Check out the price of a new Apex for next year. $17,000 in Canada. Not worth it!

gems4sale said:
cawcislo said:
I guess this is something you can expect on a brand new design (08 Nytro). I'm sure a year or two from now these issues will get resolved, but you would hope that a company like Yamaha would have done a lot more real world testing on these sleds to see these issues (bending a-arms and subframes, icing tunnels, squeeking ball joints). I'm sure someo of us would pay to be test pilots for a year and put the sleds through their paces. It's still amazing how in 2009 we're still dealing poor engineering/craftsmanship.

Don't be so sure! Yamaha has had the slider wear issues for 4 years now. The 5'th year is comming up and the fools have done nothing to change this. Its only a matter of putting on the correct size boggie wheels. My bushings are worn out in the ski spindles but the ball joints seem OK after 5000 miles on my XTX. A bit of play but none more than expected. I've heard complaining about hand warmers for 4 years now and I'll bet they still come out with another poor design... Check out the price of a new Apex for next year. $17,000 in Canada. Not worth it!

Slow the rant down, you've got your own thread posted up for this.

arteeex - what are we looking at in that pic, is it stock parts or aftermarket?
rxrider

The ball is from the stock assembly. I carefully removed the original race from the ball with a small abrasive cut-off wheel.

The races you see in the photo are custom made of a bronze bearing material.

Since I have my sled apart for PM and updates I replaced the first set. After about 3500-miles I could see around 0.03" slop in the joint on one side and just enough to make the other side wiggle a bit. I'm pretty satisfied with how they’ve held up.

does anyone else make replacement ball joints or tie rods ends or are we stuck with the expensive yamaha parts that wear out?

Back