• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

09 ball joints

Kruchy

Veteran
Anybody getting excessive wear on there upper and lower ball joints? Yamaha fixed the problem in 08 but mine are wearing too fast.

I had mine in to get checked, I had a squeek in my front end, turned out to be the bushings. The mechanic said the front end was tight.

1800 miles on the XTX and the whole front end is shot. Dealer said to wait and see if anything changes over the summer for a fix.

1400 miles on my XTX. About 2 rides ago noticed how bad it squeaks. Standing on the running boards and rocking it back and forth makes it squeak like an old bed spring. Sprayed all the joints with lube but not much difference. Got me a little worried something in my front end might be bent, but can't see anything out of the ordinary. Going to put in Ulmers bushings before next seaons, hopefully that will cure it.

Also noticed the slop in the front end, even from low miles. Appears to be mostly in the A-Arm bushing area, not the balljoints, at least on mine.

Mine started squeaking also at about 1,000 miles. Lubbed the ball joints with silicone spray and no more noise. Still tight at 1,400 miles.

I guess this is something you can expect on a brand new design (08 Nytro). I'm sure a year or two from now these issues will get resolved, but you would hope that a company like Yamaha would have done a lot more real world testing on these sleds to see these issues (bending a-arms and subframes, icing tunnels, squeeking ball joints). I'm sure someo of us would pay to be test pilots for a year and put the sleds through their paces. It's still amazing how in 2009 we're still dealing poor engineering/craftsmanship.

cawcislo said:
I guess this is something you can expect on a brand new design (08 Nytro). I'm sure a year or two from now these issues will get resolved, but you would hope that a company like Yamaha would have done a lot more real world testing on these sleds to see these issues (bending a-arms and subframes, icing tunnels, squeeking ball joints). I'm sure someo of us would pay to be test pilots for a year and put the sleds through their paces. It's still amazing how in 2009 we're still dealing poor engineering/craftsmanship.

You are so right. Makes you wonder who actually does testing.

sledheadd said:
cawcislo said:

You are so right. Makes you wonder who actually does testing.

WE are doing the testing by the looks of it.

yamaha silicone spray lube works great,just splash it on every couple hundred miles ,no squeeks

Back