• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

10% ethonol gas now in Maine!!!

jlarrabee

Veteran
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2013 Nytro XTX 1.75 Backcountry
Can anyone tell me the details about the effects of 10% ethonol gas. It has made it's way to Maine. Alot of sleds being bothered by this?

We have had it for years in Minnesota. I have had no issues with my old RX1 or my current Attak, Vector and Phazer.

It can "go bad" a lot faster now. Ive had gas go bad in my raptor in as short as a month and had to clean out the jets. Just make sure your using it a lot or putting a fuel treatment in. Ethanol allows the gasoline to bring in moisture faster.

klotz makes an additive to offset the bad effects of the ethenol. I havend used it, but heard it works well

Green goo in the carbs, which affects two strokes a lot more...I have another set to clean tonight from a 600 doo.
Other than a drop in mileage (we still have a station with zero ethanol, and we get 15+ with RX's and Apex's on it) to about 13-14 mpg, no ill effects.

I've noticed is that it seems to go stale quicker, though I haven't had any carb issues yet. I put sta-bil in everything in the off season, from the lawnmower to the bikes to the boat. Last summer my bike would run slightly, but noticeably better when on ethanol-free fuel. One of those old Honda V-4s with a 12,000 RPM redline. She likes to scream and the ethanol kinda dampens it a little.

There's one station around that sells ethanol-free gas, but it's a good 15 cents more than the 10% station right next to it. On the bike I'll buy it, since even at the peak of gas prices I could fill the bike for $10, prices now, it'll be under $5 so an extra $0.30 for more fun when you roll on the gas isn't a big deal.

No issues in the sled yet. Last trip on all groomed trails I pulled nearly 20mpg out of my Warrior, though they weren't particularly fast trails, hovering mostly around 30-40. That'll change this weekend now that the lakes are frozen and covered. :flag: See if I can beat last year's record of 105mph from my sled.

Back