• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

137 Rmotion a success in an apex

hmm around here the doos all slow down when it is rough and are all stand up riding when i hoist the skis while sitting on the 11 xtx (stock suspension other than springs) and go by them in the same lumps at the end of the day. trying to get the 16 to ride/transfer that well. getting better finally with some miles on it.

to op, glad it is working like you want.
I think old age has a lot to do with it, when I was younger and lighter the rough trails didn't seem to bother me at all, would like to try a Winder or a DOO and a Polaris for a day each to compare the comfort level to really see and feel if there is a big difference.

Agreed. With a dual-rate spring set up and appropriate valving the Mono is a fantastic trail skid.

Agreed. With a dual-rate spring set up and appropriate valving the Mono is a fantastic trail skid.
I have a totally opposite opinion. I think the rear skid on my 06 Gt is the single worst aspect of the sled. Followed by the overall weight.
And I've tried many different combos in an attempt to make it better.
I've had the Hygear dual spring setup, along with 3 different stiffness Ohlins springs.
All the setups were better than stock. But, in the choppy stuff, I hate it.
My love for the engine performance is the only reason I've kept this machine as long as I have.
The temptation to upgrade has been very strong.
If I could get the rear to my liking I would likely hang on to it for several more years. Even if I do upgrade.
Either an Rmotion or King Air is likely for next season. Along with a stretch to 128".

Considering your intent to stretch your GT to a 128", I take it you have a mono 121"? That might be the difference in opinion more so than the actual suspension as the combination of the EC Ohlins Mono suspension and Ohlins front shocks and Ulmer Racing's setup are the main reasons I've held onto my 08 LTX GT and it's going to surpass 20,000mi after next week's TY Giveaway ride.

I have a totally opposite opinion. I think the rear skid on my 06 Gt is the single worst aspect of the sled. Followed by the overall weight.
And I've tried many different combos in an attempt to make it better.
I've had the Hygear dual spring setup, along with 3 different stiffness Ohlins springs.
All the setups were better than stock. But, in the choppy stuff, I hate it.
My love for the engine performance is the only reason I've kept this machine as long as I have.
The temptation to upgrade has been very strong.
If I could get the rear to my liking I would likely hang on to it for several more years. Even if I do upgrade.
Either an Rmotion or King Air is likely for next season. Along with a stretch to 128".
The Mono responds very well to stretching as long as you keep the basic geometry intact. To be honest I haven’t ridden a 121” Mono for any length of time since ‘06, all of my sleds have been 136” and the newest a 146” Mono I’ve built. I also never had much luck with the Ohlins, find the basic KYB properly outfitted gives the best ride. Just my experience over the years….

Interesting how some guys called the mono shock skid junk. I thought it rode pretty well. Much better than the dual shock ck 144.....

This is a topic that NEVER gets old.
"Out of the Box" the Mono is not that good.
Spend some time setting it up preferably with a some dual rate springs then it becomes a VERY GOOD groomed trail skid that can handle bumps pretty good.
UNTIL you hit those Stutter Type Ripple Bastards for a couple hours then go home & cry.
I have HYGEAR on my '06 with all the tricks we learned from "06 to '15.
I'm very impressed with it still.
I say "why do I spend all this money on new sleds?"
THEN it gets whooped out...........for miles.............it's right THEN I say "I wish I was on my new sled"

NOW it's not fair to compare an '06 to a newer sled, but I rode an older RUSH last week on some whooped out trails & it was just plain better on that stretch.
The Apex was WAAAAAAY better in every other category beyond that though.

I never thought the weight was a hindrance.
Actually I always thought it made it VERY stable especially on the Big Fast Northern County trails.
Every year the MONO got better & better right up until the Single Douche Rear Contraption McThingy
It was THEN I realized it was time to work some OT & move on.

My RTX is a back-up & there are days I actually choose it over anything.
STILL LOVE that sound!!!!!!!!!!!

If you’re going to pound through bumps for hours on a Mono skid it needs a shock with lots of oil capacity to keep fade to a minimum, the stock KYB could use a little help in that regard. That single shock is doing an awful lot of work on its own it that scenario.

I am going to put a 2018 137 R in a 2013 Apex SE stay tuned. The just revaled last year big fat mono will be available. WHAT a bitch geting that bastard back in.

This is a topic that NEVER gets old.
"Out of the Box" the Mono is not that good.
Spend some time setting it up preferably with a some dual rate springs then it becomes a VERY GOOD groomed trail skid that can handle bumps pretty good.
UNTIL you hit those Stutter Type Ripple Bastards for a couple hours then go home & cry.
I have HYGEAR on my '06 with all the tricks we learned from "06 to '15.
I'm very impressed with it still.
I say "why do I spend all this money on new sleds?"
THEN it gets whooped out...........for miles.............it's right THEN I say "I wish I was on my new sled"

NOW it's not fair to compare an '06 to a newer sled, but I rode an older RUSH last week on some whooped out trails & it was just plain better on that stretch.
The Apex was WAAAAAAY better in every other category beyond that though.

I never thought the weight was a hindrance.
Actually I always thought it made it VERY stable especially on the Big Fast Northern County trails.
Every year the MONO got better & better right up until the Single Douche Rear Contraption McThingy
It was THEN I realized it was time to work some OT & move on.

My RTX is a back-up & there are days I actually choose it over anything.
STILL LOVE that sound!!!!!!!!!!!
I agree with most everything you pointed out. But, there's a couple things I'd like to add.

I too had the Hygear setup on my mono Ohlins. I don't deny that it was better than the stock setup. But, IMO it was only marginally better. The soft main spring reduced ride height. (I prefer my sled sitting as high as possible in the rear). Now a lower ride height does lower the CG and aids in better cornering, but you also lose travel that is soooo important in the bumps. To get the ride height that I prefer with the Hygear setup meant adding so much pre-load that the subtle ride was all but gone.

You say weight makes it more stable. I agree that an Apex is a stable sled. And yes, stability is good.
Weight is not, especially in cornering, braking, and acceleration. And lets not forget, when you have to dig that heavy pig out after getting stuck!

So, it kinda begs the question, do we need weight for stability? Do they have to go hand in hand? I don't think they do.

Many on here have pointed out that the Ape is a great "groomed trail sled". Again, I agree. But how long do trails STAY groomed? Especially on weekends when many do their riding? ANY sled can feel great on a groomed trail. It's when the trails get beat up (and they inevitably do) is when we most need a good suspension.

I've heard that the standard skid with the KYB shocks was better. I've never ridden one so I can't confirm or deny that. Again, I believe the problem is with the "design" of the skid itself. It has a narrow range of effectiveness (something that Hygear mentioned) and just is not a do all rear skid that it should have been/needs to be.

IMO Yammi just doesn't build GREAT rear skids. Sure there have been exceptions. But not many.

If some of you are satisfied with the performance of your suspension, that's GREAT! End of story.

I'm just not one of them.

Last edited:
Great points & well said.
I was trying to be nice in my support for the trusted APEX.
I still love it, but it's dated & that's why it's gone.
I lent my 06 RTX this weekend to my 17 year old nephew.
He's 17...............the seat was frozen hard like a BRICK!
He thought it was AWSOME!
Again.....17
THEN he rode my 22 DOO
Now he wants to do better in school & go to a good college so he can afford a NEW sled............win win.
My sister owes me one

I also put a 137 Rmotion in my 13 Ape and love it, I did have to put in the heavier springs Doo offers, even after tearing everything off the back of the sled and going to a bottom dump exhaust. I also extended it to 144” with Track USA extensions. Pretty easy swap I put one is the old RX and few years back and that also worked out well.
Hey Blueforever,
I am looking at putting a 137 Rmotion with rail extensions in my 12 xtx. However I can only find extensions that will extend the 137 to 146. I plan to reuse my 144 track as it is only one year old. In your opinion, will the 144 track fit onto the 146 extension? Thanks in advance.

Back