• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

144 or 128 apex.

rvtransport

Veteran
Considering buying a new power steering apex. I have not rode the xtx and worried that I will loose some top speed and also ride compared to mono shock 128? Some say the xtx is faster but is this in short distance? Make no sense that 144 should out run a 128 in 1/4 mile race? Also hear the duel shock skid is ruff riding in stock form? Anyone have both and have truly compared in same conditions.

Yep. I have both , 2011 XTX & SE 2013 ,Apex's

XTX is faster on top by 2KPH according to Yamaha. My XTX is way faster since it has twice the HP of my SE.

SE has a better ride in moderate trail chop than the XTX. XTX better in the real lumpy stuff.

XTX accelerates better due to more track & is better in deeper snow.

Those that have tried the Standard Apex say it rides better than the SE.

From my personal knowledge and followin what others say, IMHO the Standard 128 Mono is the one to buy for a trail sled.

I went from '06 GT to '12 XTX this year. Nothing but love for this sled. I have suspension set pretty much in middle of adjustment ranges, feel the ride is good. I weigh in around 290 suited up and have not felt the need to change spring or re valve as I did with the mono. Deep snow situations that would have stuck my '06 are just a push of the throttle to get out of now. Friends that have jumped from their mono to mine like the ride better and positively comment on power steering. On the lake, sled holds its own with anything out there and I am not studded (yet, but plan to, just a preference). Found mine used but plenty of new carryovers still out there too. 1500 miles so far this year with no regrets, only smiles. Yamaha is missing the boat not promoting this sled more, even with the dated chassis. They have tweaked this thing to near perfection for trail riding.

Riceburner, Do you trail ride with mcx turbo? My last turbo apex was a front mount powder lite back in 2006 and had a lot of heat issues. I am looking at supercharger next or rear mount turbo??

Is the 144 a good trail snowmobile? It must be comparable to a 136 because of the tipped rails? I am trying to figure out what I want to buy, I just don't think that a 128 is enough track for the apex I think that the 136 is perfect, just my 2 cents. Any help would be great.

Riceburner said:
Yep. I have both , 2011 XTX & SE 2013 ,Apex's

XTX is faster on top by 2KPH according to Yamaha. My XTX is way faster since it has twice the HP of my SE.

SE has a better ride in moderate trail chop than the XTX. XTX better in the real lumpy stuff.

XTX accelerates better due to more track & is better in deeper snow.

Those that have tried the Standard Apex say it rides better than the SE.

From my personal knowledge and followin what others say, IMHO the Standard 128 Mono is the one to buy for a trail sled.
X2 I have not ridden an SE, but have owned an XTX and currently own an Attak, a2012 Apex Standard, and a 2013 Apex standard.
The standards ride like a dream for average trail riding. Like all monos they will suck if bash through huge moguls, but are awesome on stutters and moderate moguls. Had an XTX and it rode like a lumber wagon,,IMO.

rvtransport said:
Riceburner, Do you trail ride with mcx turbo? My last turbo apex was a front mount powder lite back in 2006 and had a lot of heat issues. I am looking at supercharger next or rear mount turbo??

Absolutely. :-o It is a trail sled. Rear mount MCX 290 dynoed at 177 at the track so about 315 hp 15.5 psi of boost. [too much for the trail & too violent coming in] I run it between 10 & 14 most of the time. :Rockon:

No heat issues in 2 years of riding it a couple of thousand Km. 270 km ride the other day it worked flawlessly. The stuff in the trunk is no warmer than my stocker.

That said, in all honesty I prefer the Supercharger on the trail for corner to corner immediate grunt. Turbo is simpler though, easier to change boost, better on fuel & compensates for altitude changes easily.

I bought a used 2013 xtx last night. It has bar risers curve skies and studs with only 1k miles. Took it for a ride and don't know if skid has been revalved but rode really nice even in small studders bumps. I did not know mcx was a rear mount turbo. I will be looking into that in future! Thanks for feed back!

Back