• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'15 Viper, machine shut off under throttle, will not even turn over now?

DBon

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2015 viper LTX-SE
Hey All,

I did some searching to no avail, so relying on the faithful for some help!

I was riding this past Sunday, all was well, then my machine abruptly shut down. I was on a road, cruising about 20mph when it happened. It would not turnover, just clicks at the solenoid.

So here's what I've tried:

1. Tried jumping the solenoid, no luck
2. Checked fuses, all good.
3. Motor is free

It's not in a kill switch mode because the gauge cluster is illuminated.

My battery was registering 11.5V under no load which seems low. I trickled charged it over night, the charger showed full charge, gauge cluster was showing 12.5V. Tried to crank it over, nothing, except in addition to the click at the solenoid, I get a whine as well, only on the first or second turn of the key, then just goes back to clicking.
Check voltage after turning over the key, it's at 11.5V, then slowly comes back up to 12V, but not above 12V. How critical is the battery voltage on these things? I know with cars these days it's crazy, and I've experienced it first hand.

Certainly I think the battery is weak, but I'd prefer the smoking gun before going out and dropping $$$ on a new battery.

I really think it's either battery or it's gone into some safety, like the throttle position sensor does.

I should add, we were 60 miles into the ride so the machine was warm. Also, my garage is heated so everything is nice and warm now and still no luck.

Anyone deal with anything similar? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Oh, and to add insult to injury, there were 11 of us riding, 10 BRP's, one Yamaha. The abuse was vicious.

Cheers,

Darren

Darren, This sounds like the starter may have grounded itself and could have still been stuck on when riding. Could be the reason why the volts are going down.

This happened to a friend of mine on his Venture where the key switch stuck on.

If there is a way for you to disconnect the main positive wire going to the starter and see if your volts come back up.

Yeah, not good when you are the only Yami in the group.

That’s what I was just typing, check to see if you have power to starter , sounds like a starter and possibly starter clutch !

NOS-PRO,

Thanks for the quick response!

Here's the thing, voltage isn't pulled down after I trickle charge it, it sits at 12.5V. When I try and turn it over, gauge cluster goes blank, but when I let the key go and it comes back, the voltage very slowly comes back.

It seems like a weak battery. I think I'll parallel a second 12V battery in and see if that solves anything.

Where is the damn starter?? I'll bet it's a treat to get at!

Where is the damn starter?? I'll bet it's a treat to get at!

Yes, it's a treat to get at alright.... Under the gas tank by the exhaust shield

Easiest way to get to it is take the cover under the oil filter ( best if you can put sled in the air ) look up in there and you will see it ( it’s just above the oil filter ) not the funniest thing to do but way easier then a vector or nytro!

It may be totally unrelated, but there is apparently a safety switch inside the throttle that can act like a kill switch. When my sled was new, it would just die on me while I was riding it, just like hitting the kill switch. The dealer told me that they found hardened grease that was causing the safety switch to malfunction. Unlike your sled, mine would always start back up again after it died, but it might be one more thing to check if all else fails.

Easiest way to get to it is take the cover under the oil filter ( best if you can put sled in the air ) look up in there and you will see it ( it’s just above the oil filter ) not the funniest thing to do but way easier then a vector or nytro!

Is it just those 2 bolts at the back of the starter to remove it?

Anyone else ever had a starter go?

It is seized solid. Called Yamaha, it's only $600 for a new one.

Machine came out of warranty in November, I'm going to ask nicely with Yamaha Canada for some help, according to the dealer, it is a known issue.

Anyone else ever had a starter go?

It is seized solid. Called Yamaha, it's only $600 for a new one.

Machine came out of warranty in November, I'm going to ask nicely with Yamaha Canada for some help, according to the dealer, it is a known issue.

I figured that is whats wrong....seized starter.

It's been awhile and I remember there were some that the starter stayed engaged. @Rockmeister made a warning light for the Nytros that came on if the starter stayed engaged. But your Viper is the first one I have heard.

Ask your dealer and Yamaha nicely as they need to be aware of it and hope they honor some kind of warranty.

Here's what I don't understand.

The machine was running, and under throttle when all of sudden it just shut down and wouldn't restart.

I get that the starter is seized and doesn't work, but why would it come on, and stall the motor when there should have been no input to the starter to engage/energize???

I am also concerned about the condition of the gear on the motor.

Back