• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'16 Turbo recall - Interesting tidbits

Yeah, I hope so, too.
Was at my dealer today and learned that my new 2016 LTX LE has the bad rods.......Yamaha will do nothing at all and I cannot add a turbo. I let them know what I thought about this and then called customer service, basically tough titty, I bought a Yamaha mistake and have to live with it. Not very happy at the moment.

Was at my dealer today and learned that my new 2016 LTX LE has the bad rods.......Yamaha will do nothing at all and I cannot add a turbo. I let them know what I thought about this and then called customer service, basically tough titty, I bought a Yamaha mistake and have to live with it. Not very happy at the moment.
How did they know you have the bad rods? Other than a visual and file test even Yamaha doesnt know yet it seems.

How did they know you have the bad rods? Other than a visual and file test even Yamaha doesnt know yet it seems.
I can only go by what I am told. I was speaking to the mechanic who just got back from Yamaha training where I gather this was a hot topic. He took the cover off the right side of a Sidewinder and told me what to look for, essentially if there is a raised, square aluminum protrusion it is probably bad. He also called Yamaha with my serial number. The customer service rep also looked up my file and since I had just bought it he put me on hold for 2 or 3 minutes to check something. When he came back he told me that there was nothing that he could do.

I told him that Yamaha does well, dealers will do well but the customer gets screwed. When I mentioned I would get less money than yesterday if I decided to sell because it cannot get a turbo he disagreed, but as I told him.....he had his talking points, I had reality.

Bottom line.....it sucks big time.

I have feared this scenario. Im guessing the LE models would have a better chance of bad rods. We had no idea there was a new motor in there when we picked them up. I honestly would have forfeited my $500 and bought a leftover and still saved $$$.

I have feared this scenario. Im guessing the LE models would have a better chance of bad rods. We had no idea there was a new motor in there when we picked them up. I honestly would have forfeited my $500 and bought a leftover and still saved $$$.
I asked the Yamaha rep to take the damn thing back.....no miles on it. Not a chance.

I can only go by what I am told. I was speaking to the mechanic who just got back from Yamaha training where I gather this was a hot topic. He took the cover off the right side of a Sidewinder and told me what to look for, essentially if there is a raised, square aluminum protrusion it is probably bad. He also called Yamaha with my serial number. The customer service rep also looked up my file and since I had just bought it he put me on hold for 2 or 3 minutes to check something. When he came back he told me that there was nothing that he could do.

I told him that Yamaha does well, dealers will do well but the customer gets screwed. When I mentioned I would get less money than yesterday if I decided to sell because it cannot get a turbo he disagreed, but as I told him.....he had his talking points, I had reality.

Bottom line.....it sucks big time.
What the tech showed you is that you have a so called 16.5 motor. In 16 there was actually 3 different motors in 16 sleds.
The old original Nytro motor
The 16.5 motor with good rods
The 16.5 motor with bad rods
Nobody was told of this 16.5 motor until after many recieved thier sleds. No rubber cam plugs and square aluminum protrusions near coils and on valvecover indicate a 16.5 motor but it does not indicate a 16.5 motor with bad rods. Only way up to now is to remove ENGINE side cover and look at rod and touch it with a file.
And yes this whole thing sucks big time.

What the tech showed you is that you have a so called 16.5 motor. In 16 there was actually 3 different motors in 16 sleds.
The old original Nytro motor
The 16.5 motor with good rods
The 16.5 motor with bad rods
Nobody was told of this 16.5 motor until after many recieved thier sleds. No rubber cam plugs and square aluminum protrusions near coils and on valvecover indicate a 16.5 motor but it does not indicate a 16.5 motor with bad rods. Only way up to now is to remove ENGINE side cover and look at rod and touch it with a file.
And yes this whole thing sucks big time.
Thanks for the explanation, but the reality is that Yamaha will not install a turbo, nor will they do anything else so they must think it is bad......or just do not want to bother, either way not good for me.

Last years poor winter only delayed things for Yamaha, when people start using their sleds in a month or so, the furor will build...
I honestly see a class action suit coming... it will be Yamaha's decision whether to fight and risk the PR fallout or settle....and remember, Cat will be affected by it too as collateral damage.
I think its all gonna come down to how loud the complaints are....

Thanks for the explanation, but the reality is that Yamaha will not install a turbo, nor will they do anything else so they must think it is bad......or just do not want to bother, either way not good for me.
You are 100% correct. They just do not want to bother. Like said in post above if we get snow and the 16 guys all are riding this year alot. Its going to be ugly. Especially if the NA sleds with bad rods begin to fail. Remember with this new reflash pay particular attention to your rpms at idle and wideopen throttle. We want to be sure we have the power our sleds were sold with or more and better power. All we can do is hope that it was only a few sold with the bad rods or be proactive and look for yourself. Thats what I would do.

You are 100% correct. They just do not want to bother. Like said in post above if we get snow and the 16 guys all are riding this year alot. Its going to be ugly. Especially if the NA sleds with bad rods begin to fail. Remember with this new reflash pay particular attention to your rpms at idle and wideopen throttle. We want to be sure we have the power our sleds were sold with or more and better power. All we can do is hope that it was only a few sold with the bad rods or be proactive and look for yourself. Thats what I would do.
So if I go in and look for myself and conclude from the file test that I have the bad rods how do I feel then? I know they're bad, but can't do anything about it (no turbo). Guess I'll just ride it and hope for the best.

Sure would be great if someone could do a dyno test on a Viper before and after reflash. The we would have some idea what the advantages of the flash are. Would go a long ways to help decide if we get it done or not.

So if I go in and look for myself and conclude from the file test that I have the bad rods how do I feel then? I know they're bad, but can't do anything about it (no turbo). Guess I'll just ride it and hope for the best.
Good point. I dont have a answer for that unless you are intending to Turbo. In that case Carillo would be the best option with room for more hp which is almost always wanted.

Back