• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

'17-'18 *Mileage Quest* Trip Log

Mileage Quest

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'12 Apex X-TX
So another season begins... hopefully it doesn't end like last years!!! https://ty4stroke.com/threads/16-17-mileage-quest-trip-log.146323/ Also if you enjoy my ride threads PLEASE PLEASE leave a like or comment... I'm happy to answer any questions about the areas we ride or new items I've installed on my Apex... I also like to know fellow riders are enjoying my trips too!!!

***1/6-7/2018***
So my usual ride group was itching to ride... We are adding another Skidoo to the group... Our buddy upgraded and his brother inherited the 600... Over the summer I picked up a set of new Curve XS skis...

We headed up to the North Shore trail and dropped off at the Sawbill lot...

IMG_0621.jpg IMG_0622.jpg IMG_0623.jpg

We rode the connector trails up to Grand Marias (MN) and stayed at the Aspen Lodge... Great food and beer at My Sisters Place across from the hotel...

The next morning we rode up to the Trail Center a long the Gunflint Trail...We arrived just behind the dogs so that was a good thing...

IMG_0632.jpg

The breakfast is big enough for a lumberjack... This was ONE pancake!!!!!

IMG_0633.jpg

Yes there is a plate under it... this thing was an inch and a half thick too!!!!

Did I mention the trails were GREAT!!!

IMG_0628.jpg

Maybe a bit to good...

IMG_0629.jpg

XX I must have forgotten to snap a pic of my ODO after this trip XX

This trip clocked 149 miles
Current miles on ODM 6757
YTD miles 149
Previous years miles on ODM 6608
Annual ride logs https://ty4stroke.com/threads/mileage-quest-and-my-stable-of-yamahas.124506/

Last edited:

IT's The TY FUN RUN
and my 38th Birthday this ride!!!

***1/10-14/2018***
I have planned to make the Muni January TY ride a couple times in the last few years with something interfering each time... Mother nature tried to impact this trip but NOT this time... During the planning of this trip I was looking to share a double room at Boarders Inn with another rider... Racer369 was also looking to split a room and also needed transportation help getting his sled to the U.P.... Sign me up!!! Our plan was to ride out of Boarders Inn Wednesday-Sunday but with forecasted warm/rainy weather further east we decided to stay in the Western U.P. for the first couple days...

We stayed at a Peppermill rental in Rockland Wednesday and Thursday... We left Rockland at about 1 EST and headed straight up trail #3 to Copper Harbor... We ate quick at the Mariner North and headed straight back the same way... Didn't grab a single picture just put the hammer down... Back in 7 hours!!!

Thursday when we woke up it was raining/ freezing rain and definitely raining in the Eastern U.P.... We waited about an hour for it to change to snow... The rain/ snow cut off set up along a line from Iron Mountain to Marquette... we made the right call... Since this was system snow we rode south towards Watersmeet then over to the "Bears Den" near Sidnaw...
IMG_0642.jpg
From here we headed back to Rockland... When we woke up Friday morning we were happy!!!
IMG_0643.jpg
We are trailering over to meet the TY group in Wetmore later today so we hit the trails early...
IMG_0647.jpg
We made a Lake Gogebic, Lake of the Cloud's, Ontonagon Loop before we loaded up...
IMG_0668.JPG
IMG_0740.JPG IMG_0739.JPG IMG_0648.jpg

Arriving at the Boarders Inn I lost rear brakes... I ended up blowing out a rear caliper in my Superduty... The rest of Friday was spent eating at Foggy's and trying to line up a way to fix my truck... Saturday came about... Happy 38th Birthday to me!!! I found a shop to service the truck and Napa in town had the parts... After I got back to the hotel we headed out with the back country group... We didn't stray far from town and found a few hills to play on!!!

IMG_0650.jpg IMG_0651.jpg IMG_0652.jpg
All 16 in the group rode to the top of this hill... Had great fun and found a new LOVE for snowmobiling!!! Maybe a little sadness too as now I have a want for a second $15000 sled just for this type of riding... After our play day we all rode to Foggy's for lunch...

IMG_0656.jpg IMG_0658.jpg

Then we all trail rode into town so could pick up my truck from the shop... Sunday morning Racer369 and I took a quick ride over to Melstrand... On our way back we stopped in Shingleton for breakfast... After that we rode back to the hotel and loaded up...

Thanks again TY members for a Great time and wonderful ride!!!! See you next year if not sooner!!!!

IMG_0669.jpg

This trip clocked 672 miles
Current miles on ODM 7429
YTD miles 821
Annual ride logs https://ty4stroke.com/threads/mileage-quest-and-my-stable-of-yamahas.124506/

Last edited:
***2/5-9/2018***
Here comes the best week of riding I've ever had in the U.P. The condition's were perfect... Just enough new snow to keep the trails fresh... cold enough to keep the trails firm... and BEST of ALL light sled traffic all week!!!!

Since this was a last minute trip our reservations were scattered across the Western U.P... Monday and Tuesday we stayed at R&B in Rockland... We got unloaded and on the trail by 1pm... Since a recent snow system moved through a day or two ago we decided to ride south where there was less snow... In all my years riding the U.P. I've never seen Bond Falls... Probably won't pass this again!!!
IMG_0695.JPG

IMG_0700.JPG IMG_0701.jpg IMG_0690.jpg
After we left here we rode our FAVORITE trail in the U.P... We made it over to the Bears Den to view the sunset... From here we headed back to Rockland...
IMG_0705.jpg
Tuesday Racer369 meet us up here and will be with us until Friday... This morning my Dad wasn't motivated enough to get going... We told him our route and ETA's at certain destinations... Off we went... Stopped in White Pine for gas and coffee...

IMG_0706.jpg IMG_0707.jpg IMG_0708.jpg
Then over to Lake of the Clouds!!!

IMG_0713.jpg

Leaving LotC's we took South Boundry Road which was fun as always yet was also the roughest trail of the week... Man this was a GREAT week of riding... At the next stop look who we picked up...

IMG_0715.jpg

We bounced around the lake a bit and rode a few of the southern trails... Then we headed back toward Rockland for the night...

Being its now Wednesday morning we will be backpacking to the next two reservations... We left Rockland fairly early and rode east... We will be staying at Lakeside Inn in Barga... We checked in just after noon and head over to Cue Masters for a bite to eat... Good food but better games... We love the corn-hole toss so now I have to make one of these...
IMG_0716.jpg
From here we headed over to Big Bay with a stop at the highest point of Michigan... MT. Arvon

IMG_0720.jpg IMG_0719.jpg IMG_0717.jpg
Great burgers at The Lumberjack Tavern and quite the history too!!!

IMG_0721.jpg
From here we rode back to Barga for the night... Thursday morning we headed north until we reached another place I've never been... The Gay Bar!!!

IMG_0722.jpg
We rode most of the Keweenaw and checked in at The Pines resort in Copper Harbor...

IMG_0738.JPG IMG_0723.jpg
The next morning we rode back to the trucks in Rockland and the headed home... I seen more sleds from Copper Harbor to Rockland on Friday then I did all Monday-Thursday!!! Here is the map of our ride and my ODO!!!

IMG_0724.JPG IMG_0742.jpg

This trip clocked 875 miles
Current miles on ODM 8304
YTD miles 1696

Last edited:
***2/20-21/2018***
Finally central Minnesota is getting snow... We had gotten the first of 3 snow systems in the past day... Most of central and northern Minnesota will have 18' of new snow before Sunday... After I installed a couple things on the sleds I went up to my cabin to check the conditions... I made love to a small tree last trip so a new aluminum bumper was suggested by Racer369... Thanks again for the help getting out of the woods MB... My dad's Vector was also backfiring so copper exhaust donuts and a flex pipe were installed...

IMG_0814.jpg IMG_0805.jpg

I thought the conditions near my cabin were a bit sketchy and ungroomed... Since I was riding alone I decided to trailer to better conditions... While headed north I seen 3 different clubs grooming their trails and six total grooming throughout the day... Once I hit Palisade I unloaded and headed toward Walker...
IMG_0756.jpg IMG_0759.jpg IMG_0760.jpg

I got to Remer and started down some connector trails... At 50 miles exactly I stopped for a bite to eat and noticed my money and CC were back at the truck... Lets just say I know my gas light has at least 15 miles before it runs out in hard pack conditions... I made it without running out!!! Loaded her back up with 8402 miles on the ODM

IMG_0763.jpg

This trip clocked 98 miles
Current miles on ODM 8402
YTD miles 1794

Last edited:
***2/22-23/2018***
Includes a 520 mile day!!!
With two 4+ inch snowstorms forecasted in the next few days my dad headed up so we could do a Mille Lacs to Voyageurs National Park ride... We have family that live right off the trail north of Hibbing... So we left the cabin on sleds and headed toward the Iron Range... Stopped to see a familiar face then to grab a bite in McGregor...

IMG_0765.jpg IMG_0767.jpg IMG_0768.jpg

Stopped at the supper club for a soda... We've reached the southern part of the Iron Range... Called our family to coordinate dinner... Off to the Wizard in Nashwalk we go...

IMG_0769.jpg IMG_0771.jpg

After dinner we rode to their house... We had a great time visiting and watching the snow fall... The next morning we woke up to 4-8 fresh powder

IMG_0772.jpg IMG_0774.jpg
IMG_0775.jpg
IMG_0776.jpg IMG_0778.jpg

Our plan is to ride up to Voyageurs National Park, Crain Lake, and down the Vermillion River... What a beautiful area!!!!!

IMG_0780.jpg IMG_0781.jpg IMG_0782.jpg IMG_0783.jpg IMG_0786.jpg

Be aware!!! This is heavily enforced while in Voyageurs National Park!!!!!!! My wallet isn't lighter but I was very polite and not excessive... P.S. always thank them for keeping you safe ;)

IMG_0785.jpg

The river leads you to Lake Vermillion and the Wolf Track Lodge... Once we got there we called our friends for the Mille Lacs area... They claimed they were going to trailer up to Mt. Iron where one of them had a cabin... Needless to say we either start looking for a room (our family had left for a hockey game in Minneapolis so that wasn't an option) or ride back to Mille Lacs... We didn't stop much and when we got home it was 520 miles in Minnesota in one day!!!! I probably will never top this!!! Or do it again LOL!!! 720 for the trip...

IMG_0787.jpg IMG_0788.jpg IMG_0790.jpg IMG_0796.jpg

This trip clocked 720 miles
YTD miles 2514
Current miles on ODM 9122

Last edited:
***2/25/2018***
Well we got another 4+ around the state with 7 locally overnight... I've really wanted to get my girlfriend out to see if this is something we could do together... I Love this gal!!!!!

IMG_0798.jpg

Took her around Elm Creek Park Reserve which is about 10 minutes from our house... Stopped at Sundance Golf Course for a soda... I think she had fun :)
Later in the week I installed my WRP seat and Lake Effects Riser... I think I'm going to love this thing even more!!!

IMG_0808.jpg IMG_0807.jpg IMG_0809.jpg IMG_0810.jpg IMG_0804.jpg

This trip clocked 16 miles
YTD miles 2530
Current miles on ODM 9138

***3/7-9/2018***
So I might be 10 months late to the party but I still made it :)

So I wanted to get some miles on to test out my riser and WRP seat... All I can say is with the new riding position I won’t be buying a new sled for a while!!!

Friday my senior boys (2 dogs) and I headed up to the lake just in time for the sunset...

E4C950EE-C009-444B-BF8E-A947329B6E84.jpeg

A711BDF2-6EDF-4F5C-A41C-8929B53FA883.jpeg

The next morning I headed out and rode a little loop until my father could make it up... I joined him and his friend for a little ride...

BD452A4B-C95F-4B7B-A864-F676800BC240.jpeg 4A9AF4F8-8CA2-42F1-B836-72792E41CE61.jpeg E4F6F21D-DE26-4FE2-B870-9DF0543B1075.jpeg

The next morning my dad’s jackshaft bearing was going out so he stayed home... I found some pretty big drifts!!! They were a bit hard and I was alone so I didn’t feel it was safe to play in...

24F051E9-C0B3-4832-94D3-38C85F3B225B.jpeg

After that I made my way toward Brainerd...

2F071F5D-0F69-4105-BAB2-44BE0F832567.jpeg 7AB1E7FD-DDE6-4C18-A248-ABFE70EDCE44.jpeg

I love the sign the local club posted!!!

624D91BF-8BBD-4314-B4C9-819B13C38532.jpeg

From there I rode the railroad toward home and stopped for a soda... put it way for the season with 9377 on the odo...

307532EC-63EF-40BD-A6A5-CE93543A7393.jpeg 0C99E724-6E8C-47AC-A63C-FE8C54B254FE.jpeg

This trip clocked 239 miles
YTD miles 2769
Current miles on ODM 9377

Back