• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

19 40 gears and 70 link chain?????

I believe anything lower than 20/40 would require the 68. Thats getting pretty low, are you also using a 3.0 pitch track with 7 tooth drivers?

Not to highjack your thread but along the same lines would 7 tooth 3.0 pitch drivers be lower gearing than 8 tooth 2.52 pitch?

MT

I have been riding 20/42 which is the same 2.1 ratio but I am using stock 8 tooth drivers 2.5 pitch. I would say it is great for most everything but especially good for deep snow and trees. Not great if your racing on trails.

Rt

I wish I knew what my gearing was but suspect it is too high. Not about to break open the chaincase to find out. It does have 8 tooth 2.5p extroverts (I guess 8 is stock anyway) but will still hit 100 on the way up to the real snow. The original owner put a reverse kit on (changes forward gearing as well) but Hartman tells me there were two kits available with one geared more for east coast use (more like 22/38 ). Gears 'aint cheap not to mention the pita. Says this is likely why I have blown up two belts recently while boondocking/climbing.

Did a little searching but still can't find the definitive minimum for the switchover to a 68 link, sorry.

Damned if it isn't raining again here at 4000' in Oregon.

MT

I am going to try 19 40 with my 8 tooth 3.0 pitch drivers= 9 tooth 2.52. Currently I am running 19 42 which is pretty good all around.

I picked up a reverse for the sled which has a 40 tooth bottom so if I don't like this I can go 18 top or get the mpi 42 bottom for reverse. I was just wondering if I needed to order a new chain.

Any reason you can't use whatever size bottom (or top for that matter) gear you want with a reverse kit, or are they special with the reverse kit. This link;

http://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/pages/ ... fault.aspx

shows the kit being sold with either an 18/38, or 18/39, both pretty low gearing. I'd be happy if I had either of these but suspect not with the top end trail speeds I'm getting.

RX1M5, you say you have a 40 tooth compatible with reverse?

Thanks, Mark

Here is/was one for sale with a 21/39 though perhaps this would not work on a MT;
http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... everse+kit

Appears either these kits were sold with a variety of gearing and /or.... any forward gears can be used???

Still curious, Any reason you can't use whatever size bottom (or top for that matter) gear you want with a mountain reverse kit, or are the forward gears specially made for the reverse kit only in certain sizes?

Thanks, Mark

I f you get the kit cheap enough,you can swap out the 39 for a 40 easy enough or just the top gear to 20,however the difference between the 39-40 is fairly minimal.

Back