• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

1st oil change

I am glad that I have not purchased my Phazer yet, as I am waiting for warmer weather... LaLaLa -20's would be best for me as I can then bomb around all day without freezing. 1 day = 300+ miles ;)!

I have checked all of the pictures and noted where I may need to place more careful inspections when I do my daily quickcheck. Thanks for all of the updates and notifications about oil changes.

RX-E

MtnLiteMartin said:
Yellowknife...You need a 69mm wrench. Its like a socket that fits over the end of the filter.

The oil cooler is like a small oil tank that prestone flow around . You can see in the first pic the 2 antifreeze hoses on the cooler. I'll get a pic of the wrench later

Awesome, thanks for the info!! So the antifreeze runs around the little oil reservoir above the filter and helps cool the oil?

Re-ringing my REV is easier than that. I can have that done in just under 3 hours. Seems ridiculous that changing a filter can be such a b*tch. Is there a relocation kit for the Phaser yet?

teerex said:
but once the 1st oil filter change is done, you can drive 12,000 miles without thinking of it anymore :flag:

Maybe manual says so but I will change the filter each time I change oil.

It doesn't make sense on a snowmobile as the air in the mountains contains no dust. The engine oil and filter simply lasts longer. You can drive a car 10,000 miles in dust and dirt before changing the oil filter.
Another thing: the oil filter gets slightly more effective as it gets used and collects unwanted particles. But you will probably never see a real dirty oil filter on a sled, that is my guess. If oil is changed every year, the driving distance or driving hours for most users will be much shorter than for cars and motorcycles.

Dust from the air is the air filters job on a car to take care of. Thats why you have to change them now and then. You dont change air filter on these sleds because there is no filter to change and because there is no sand dust when its snow.

Oilfilter cleans the oil of crap who is due to the combustion and other dirt build up in oil/engine.

Dont think you can compare this engine with a normal car engine. What car engines has 160hp per liter and running on 8000-11500 rpm on normal use. The answer to that is a race car.

Do as you wish, I'm only saying what I will do. On my wr450f i canged oil every 500km and changed oil filter every 1000km so I will not have any problem doing this once a year on my phazer.

The engine oil is also affected by driving conditions and polluted environment. An engine operating in clean air only will also be cleaner inside. An average sled is maybe driven 1000 miles in a season. With a run-in engine, this distance will normally not reduce the quality and function of the oil and filter significally. It is a small displacement 500 cc engine, but with the same oil capacity as many 1000 cc motorcycles. And a motorcycle also have a more complex gearbox which is lubricated by the same oil.
If Yamaha has found that the oil filter will last 12,000 miles in their sled, then it would be a waste of time to change it at 1,000 miles :tg:

Mileage has close to nothing to do with the state of your oil. Oil is broken down by heat and contaminants from blow-by. Fuel dilution is the best indicator of oil condition. if you can smell any gas in your oil, it can use a changing. Dilution accompanies discoloration of the oil, and you can usually smell a hint of gas when there is a bit of darkening. I cringe at the thought of going a thousand miles on a change with a 12,000 RPM engine. While the phazer has much more capacity than a crf450, my point is illustrated by the fact that you can smell dilution in its oil with just a few hours of operation. The first oil filter catches all the metal shavings and chunks from engine break-in. After that, nothing will get in your engine unless you open it up and get dirt in it or something. Change your filter every few oil changes just for peace of mind, while changing your oil rather frequently. The harder an engine is run, the more blow-by is going to occur. A granny's car oil could go 10,000 miles and you could feel safe changing the filter every couple of times.

Attachments

• Canon 054.jpg
    Canon 054.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 126
  • Canon 056.jpg
    Canon 056.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 149
  • Canon 058.jpg
    Canon 058.jpg
    19.8 KB · Views: 130
teerex said:
It doesn't make sense on a snowmobile as the air in the mountains contains no dust. The engine oil and filter simply lasts longer. You can drive a car 10,000 miles in dust and dirt before changing the oil filter.
Another thing: the oil filter gets slightly more effective as it gets used and collects unwanted particles. But you will probably never see a real dirty oil filter on a sled, that is my guess. If oil is changed every year, the driving distance or driving hours for most users will be much shorter than for cars and motorcycles.

Man you are giving bad advise here! People when you change your oil change the filter also with this engine you are basically dealing with a race engine. Dont be penny smart and dollar stupid.

Not changing the filter every time has nothing to do with saving money. It's just totally unnecessary. Plus, you're more apt to change your oil frequently if its just a drain-and-fill. Bad advice is telling someone to change their filter every time without also advising the drainage of the oil cooler and any other place you might be able to drain or blot old oil out. The only actual viable argument for changing the filter every time is to prevent the mixing of the old oil with the new, but it is impossible to do so completely without rebuilding the engine anyways, so... moot point.

Tell that to Yamaha if your engine goes! I would not even think of changing the oil without changing the filter. You should only have to do it once a year anyhow! I would advise anyone who changes the oil to change the filter too.

Like Sled Dod stated. These are high reving engines that run hot and they like fresh oil. Piece of mind to change filter with oil change. Its like taking a shower and putting on your old dirty underwear. Manufactures advertise low maintenance cost to gain market share and is not in the best interest of the customer. Ask any reputable engine builder what he would do and he will tell you to change the oil filter with every oil change! Its your sled and money, but do not blame anyone but yourself when it goes bang. Just my 2 cents!

Back