• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2 RX's - 2 W-arms and 1 left-side drive bearing - TOAST!

4Fighter

TY 4 Stroke God
Country
USA
Snowmobile
'07 Attak GT
Ultimatewarrior and I rode yesterday in Raco - AWESOME trails! ;)! somewhat crowded.

Unfortunately, when we stopped he checked his W-arm, and it was cracked in the middle legs (his first at 4800 miles) Then after about 2 miles my sled started clunking and grinding and squealing, and I though it was the jack-shaft...NOPE! The track seemed to move alright and there was no aparent free-play with the drive axle so I was :? Then I looked at my W-arm and it was cracked too :shock: :o| :o| :o| (2nd one at 4460 miles) I kept going, noises stopped and then I had no speedo. We managed to get back to our trucks and headed into our dealer. Sure enough, I was told the left-side bearing is going, or has went, but I was pleasantly surprised to hear that my dealer will at least talk to Yamaha about 2 sleds coming in with broken W-arms, at the same time - and that mine is on #2.

Well we both were planning on going to Wawa with YamablueRX1, on April 2 -3, sorry Chris :( When I told my wife how much the parts were - well, that's the end of my season :o| :( At least I'm thankful it happened on March 25th and not January 25th, and NOT in Canada.

I'll be sure to post more on this next week.

samething

I went to change suspension and found the same bearing dried out and hard to turn by hand at 2000 miles . I did the update locking collar bearing at the same time. Chain case bearings were okay.

i pop the seal of my rsventure speedo-side bearing after hearing about it. It was looking like that after less than 3000 miles... not very good...

Alain

Attachments

• mini-205bearingeau.jpg
    mini-205bearingeau.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 113
I'm pretty sure my buddy popped the seal and re-packed that bearing when I did my track swap. Should've replaced the bearing then :o| That bearing is no big deal compared to the rate at which I have to replace W-arms (1 per each season of use)

Once again...why is there no F'n zert to grease this bearing like every other MFG have them and if greased every 500kms it would last for ever...my last sled a"AC" had 10.000 miles not kms and never replaced that bearing.Why is YAMAHA so concentrated in MAINTENANCE free sleds...its just the other way around,since this RX1 "05" its nothing but problems...from suspension...steering...front "A" arms...drive bearings etc...Just add a few pounds make everything a little more durable and GREASEABLE!!!

I love the concept and feel of this sled...don't get me wrong...but YAMAHA isn't like it us to be,I don't
know about the rest of you guy's...we paid a premium for WHAT??? a pack of problems!!!

I just hope that YAM comes thru for us and fixes all of these problems for us!!!

I haven't done it myself yet, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

I would think you would just take off the left side panel, then take off the housing were the speedo cable connects. This should give exposure to the bearing. Then just use one of those dental picks to pop out the seal.

Couldn't I just needle grease the bearing if its looking bad? Has anyone else tried to grease the thing on a regular basis?

I don't remember my 2000 Phazer having a grease fitting on that bearing either....but never had a problem with that in the 5 years I rode it. hmmm...

I learned another lesson: That bearing should be replaced whenever you change your track, or sooner. As for a way to check, well I don't know? I suggest changing it at around 4000 miles or so.

Unfortunately, there is no way of knowing until you hear something strange from the left side of the sled, or pop the seal. Even then you probably should replace it anyway.

The good news, I was still able to drive it 12 miles back to the truck, although I don't know what kind of damage I'm looking at yet, and I have to pull my skid anyway so may as well go anti-ratchet sprockets, and 23T on the gearing too?

Does poping the seal ruin the bearing?
Could I pop the seal, install a drease fitting on the cover, and run that way? Just brainstorming here as I have not taken mine apart yet(only 1400 miles on the rage) but this has me worried a bit.

Why would Yamaha not have a grease fitting installed to grease this thing????

gnip134 said:
Does poping the seal ruin the bearing?

Hmmmm...I wonder if that helped it fail sooner?

gnip134 said:
Could I pop the seal, install a drease fitting on the cover, and run that way? Just brainstorming here as I have not taken mine apart yet(only 1400 miles on the rage) but this has me worried a bit.

Not to scare you or anything, but if all you have is 1400 miles, you could probably get by another season or 2??? Unless you tear into it, this is something that will just go when it goes.

gnip134 said:
Why would Yamaha not have a grease fitting installed to grease this thing????

???? Indeed :?

You have to be carefull in removing the seal because it is easy to bent. In my case, i removed water with compress air and apply synthetic grease and reinstall the seal without problem and it did a good job.

I did this to be sure to avoid problem on the trail...(4800 miles done). At this time of the season, if you have a 2005, you can just forget it for the summer.... it will for sure rust and yamaha will have to install you a brand new one on warranty for the next season. Don't forget to ask your dealer to check it at fall check-up.

this bearing and the jackshaft bearing should have zerts.... is someone know if it had zerts on the rx serie 2003-2004 ???? so we can use those parts...
Alain

gnip134 said:
Couldn't I just needle grease the bearing if its looking bad? Has anyone else tried to grease the thing on a regular basis?

I don't remember my 2000 Phazer having a grease fitting on that bearing either....but never had a problem with that in the 5 years I rode it. hmmm...

Yea that is what I was thinking just needle it.

any problems with teh 04's? what bout hte rs series? i was readin this and am startin to worry that my bearin will go out too...3600mi and dads 04 rx1 has a little over 5k on it. is this just on the 05's or all rx1's??

Back