• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2 stroke 3000-5000 miles is it????

You must ride really hard to break 4 skids in that amount of miles I know of several people including myself with double amount of miles that have never broken a skid. I even know someone that has 3 times the amount of miles & has never broken a skid. If you beat them to death there going to break something.
I had several of those dreaded W arms break on the Pro Action chassis. Ridden hard or not, that was a very weak point on that suspension and many on this site had this problem.

To answer the original question: My buds' 2012 Rush blew at exactly 4200 miles. It's the only POO i ride with.

I used to hold my 01 sx700r to the bar for miles all the time. Good ole redhead hauled #*$&@

I had several of those dreaded W arms break on the Pro Action chassis. Ridden hard or not, that was a very weak point on that suspension and many on this site had this problem.

I know what you are saying about the W arms. I must be very lucky because I have 9,000 miles on a 2000 SXR 700 & a little over 9000 miles on a 2002 Viper

Modern 2 strokes burn less oil and fuel then the older models. I believe this is why they don't last as long. To be honest, longevity seems to be hit and miss. I had a buddy with an 09 600 Etec that blew at 2,000 miles. His next 600 etec went over 10,000 miles without a hiccup. There was a guy from Quebec on Dootalk last year with an 850 that he put 16,000 miles on without a rebuild. On the other side of the coin you read about 850's popping under 5,000 miles. I think a lot of it has to do with the rider. Proper warm up, good fuel, and common sense with your right thumb can make a big difference.

Our 4 strokes are not perfect either. My dad's 2007 Attak GT dropped a valve at 17,000 miles. It was going to cost more to repair then the sled was worth so he sold it for parts. Aside from that, our Yamaha 4-strokes have been flawless. The Sidewinder has been the best one yet so far.

My other buds' E-tec had a recall at 3000 miles & blew at 10,000. That's not too shabby.
The new 2 smokers are claiming better life. We'll see.
I think it's reasonable to assume to get 10,000 miles out of todays 2-strokes if well taken care of.
I think it's foolish to think you'll get more.

My wifes 2007 Ski-doo Rev 600 SDI has about 8000 miles on it and it runs great. Its never been opened up and the way she rides its going to last a long time. I've had to replace a lot of other stuff on it but the motor just keeps ticking away.

My other buds' E-tec had a recall at 3000 miles & blew at 10,000. That's not too shabby.
The new 2 smokers are claiming better life. We'll see.
I think it's reasonable to assume to get 10,000 miles out of todays 2-strokes if well taken care of.
I think it's foolish to think you'll get more.
If I could get 10,000 miles out of a 2-stroke with only 1 rebuild during that time, I'd be happy with that. I don't keep my sleds longer than 10k miles anyway. By 10k miles (typically 4-5 years for me), I'm bored with the sled and looking for something new. And when I say new - I mean the next best thing, not simply the same replacement for the sled I already have.

Wow, that does suck for anyone..glad he salvaged it...I could feel the adrenaline from here! I know the feeling, but without the flames. Machz....lol
My friend caught his 2015 Switchback 800 on fire 2 years ago, but it was his fault. He left the parking brake on and it got so hot that the sled caught fire. It melted the wiring, battery, and cooling tank. We used snow to put out the fire just like in the video. I wonder if this is why the sled in the video caught fire.

Modern 2 strokes burn less oil and fuel then the older models. I believe this is why they don't last as long. To be honest, longevity seems to be hit and miss. I had a buddy with an 09 600 Etec that blew at 2,000 miles. His next 600 etec went over 10,000 miles without a hiccup. There was a guy from Quebec on Dootalk last year with an 850 that he put 16,000 miles on without a rebuild. On the other side of the coin you read about 850's popping under 5,000 miles. I think a lot of it has to do with the rider. Proper warm up, good fuel, and common sense with your right thumb can make a big difference.

Our 4 strokes are not perfect either. My dad's 2007 Attak GT dropped a valve at 17,000 miles. It was going to cost more to repair then the sled was worth so he sold it for parts. Aside from that, our Yamaha 4-strokes have been flawless. The Sidewinder has been the best one yet so far.
Thats the problem, really....no way to know if your 2 stroke is the 10000 or the 2000 miler. Daughters doo 600 just decided to break a ring, with a little bit of the piston. I mean, the rest of the piston and bore, even ring looked like new...no carbon, clean, etc. Just decided to go. The four strokes can still fail too, but it is very uncommon. I haven't had one thought about any of my yammy 4 stroke engines failing, running the crap out of it or just putting around...since 2002. That's a nice feeling.

Yup....they will break..lol!

I used to hold my 01 sx700r to the bar for miles all the time. Good ole redhead hauled #*$&@

Same here with my old 700 Viper, raced a friends ZRT 600 across Lake Gogebic for miles holding it to the bars..........left him like last week's newspaper. We had a strong wind at our back, saw 125 on the dream-o-meter. I had a 2001 SXR 700 redhead before that which I could hold down like that too. Yamaha made a good triple 2 stroke. But I still like my 4 stroke better........

Id love to see a 900 tripple 2stroke yamaha, under 500lbs in the future. I couldnt get my money out fast enough.

Hell yeah. 4strokes are good, so good in fact, they put Yamaha nearly out of buisiness. Last in sales. Uninteresting to youths. And...right in bed with frickin Arctic Cat. But yeah man, i love mine too.

Back