• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2004 RX Warrior Hard Start When Hot

brinkkl2000

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2004 Yamaha RX Warrior
1998 Yamaha SRX
This has kind of been bugging me for a couple years, its nothing major I don think. When the sled is hot/warm, like when we shut down on the trail for a few minutes, I have to blip the throttle when cranking to get it to fire up, otherwise it will just crank and not start. It runs perfectly other wise. I go through the carbs every year, so I don't think there is anything in the carbs, and it does it all the time every time when warm.

Interesting. I wonder if its a weak spark and no choke to help when its warmed up. I'd have a look at the plugs, gap/wear. Don't think its carbs if you are idling well at 1500 rpm +/-

This has kind of been bugging me for a couple years, its nothing major I don think. When the sled is hot/warm, like when we shut down on the trail for a few minutes, I have to blip the throttle when cranking to get it to fire up, otherwise it will just crank and not start. It runs perfectly other wise. I go through the carbs every year, so I don't think there is anything in the carbs, and it does it all the time every time when warm.
That sounds normal to me. Mine does the same thing. It will eventually fire if I don't touch the throttle a hair, but it take a bunch more cranks.

My 05 Warrior is the same. After it is warmed up, I need to give it about a 1/4 inch of throttle to start it. Just the way it is.

Mine to. Sometimes it starts right up on its own, but if it doesn't fire up right away then just a little blip of the throttle and its purring away.

it is normal.

Mine tends to fire right away, but now may know why its a bit easier to start after warm. a few years after owning the sled, idle was to spec around 1200 rpm, and it developed a bit of a rattle. Bugged me, turned out to be something in the primary clutch and the Yamaha mechanic said that rattle is normal, and you can smooth it out by adjusting idle up until it goes away. My idle is typically stable around 1500 rpm so when throttle is off its getting a bit more gas than normal. I'm guessing it makes it easier to start after warm too and rattle went away. I've never seen a downside to the faster idle.

thanks rob the rattle bugs me to, I am going to up my idle cuz I noticed it does not rattle all the time so the faster idle makes sense

Thanks for the replies everyone. At least I know it is fairly common. Doesn't matter too much anymore as this past weekend up north the drunk behind me didn't react me stopping to help a fellow rider pull his sled out of the ditch and banged in to me at about 30-40 mph. Although the damage doesn't look bad, I am sure it is totaled. There is a couple nice crinkles in the tunnel between the suspension mounts, and plenty of other damaged and bent parts all along the back end. I think the long track/ tunnel extension was what saved me from getting his sled right in my back. Do everyone out there a favor, if you are going to enjoy some adult beverages, do it when you are back, safely off the trails! Guess I will start looking for a new sled. Really love my Warrior, but thinking Apex or Nytro now.

Wow what horrible news. Glad you are safe. I hope that driver is covering your costs, that would make me so angry. As a 12 year old sled the warrior seems to be a classic and lives on. The newer sleds are sweet more HP and better skids. Enjoy the shopping around. BTW, that engine should be worth something, they are engineering marvels and seems yours wasn't affected by the accident. Wanted to build someday, a light skiff or boat, with that engine and CV transmission in it. It would standup on launch and have the ratio for top speed either prop or jet. Dreams....

Both our 2004 rx1 same when hot....the rattle on primary is normal too....sorry to hear your warrior might be toast....the engine could be enjoyed still in a sxs.....maybe in a desert would be the safest lol

sorry to hear that.

Dude that sucks. Too bad you can't shop for a new sled on your own terms and not because you have to since a drunk ruined your sled. I hope the idiot pays up. Glad to hear your okay.

Back