• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2005 RX-1 Carb problem

cmharcou

Expert
Have a 2005 RX-1. Just got it back from dealer. Carbs totally rebuilt. New kits in all of them. Took sled out for 1st ride backfiring and shooting flames out exhaust. Wouldn't hardly run without choke on. Took out plugs, cylinder one plug is black. Plugs 2,3 and 4 are clean. Took back to dealer said it could have a jet plugged. Any other ideas?

or they got the slid diaphragms pinched, i took mine apart the other day an all 4 had the them pinch around the edges. i have way better throttle response. the other thing is if they didnt get the air box back on right, the carbs all the way in the boots. something along those lines. Hope they get it figured out. If not you can come see me In MI. ill take a look at for you lol .

run it withput the airbox and look at the carbs. Give it a little gas without the clutch engaging and see how they respond, they should all look the same. If you can jack up the back, give it lots of gas, bet one or more of the carbs aren't working correctly.

you say you just got it back from the dealer that rebuilt the carbs, it dont run right and the dealer tells you its plugged jets?. give the dealer a slap and tell him to do his job properly. by the way there is no "kit" for the carbs, just jets to clean or replace.

Now there telling me it could possible be the fuel pumps. They said there was 2 on this machine. How often do they go bad and where do you get them? Aftermarket ones?

remove 2 lines from bottom of pumps. attach 2 pieces of fuel line to pumps and run other ends into a fuel can. start sled and see if fuel is being pumped out into can. if you need pumps check the classifieds on this site for a set.

before you put your carbs back on put a shop vac or other vaccum source on the engine side of the carbs and see if each slide opens when you open the throttle. i had one diaphram pinched and had to reseal it. now they all open the same. and make sure they synced your carbs. this can cause backfiring as well

What your explaining is classic plugged pilot jets. Your dealer may want to call it something else so they can charge you for the time to fix the carbs that they already charged you for. I would take it back and tell them to fix it properly.

I don't see how a black plug could be from a failing pump. Black means it's getting to much fuel and one pump supplies fuel to two cylinders. So why just a problem on one cylinder? They botched the rebuilds.

Fourcam281 said:
I don't see how a black plug could be from a failing pump. Black means it's getting to much fuel and one pump supplies fuel to two cylinders. So why just a problem on one cylinder? They botched the rebuilds.

If you have a fuel pump that is bad, or has a bad diagram, it will let fuel past the diagram, in the pulse line that is on the carb boot, and will cause one carb to run richer then the others. So i would check witch plug is black an see if it is one of the cylinders that has a pulse line to it. Then check that pump.

Back