• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2005 RX-1 still backfiring! Any other ideas.

BIG BLACK WARRIOR

VIP Member
I recently posted that my 2005 RX-1 was backfiring. When you let off the gas, after a fairly fast run, and try to give it more gas it will not take it, and you have to come almost to a complete stop, it will backfire, then it is all set to accelerate again. As suggested in my previous post, I tried bypassing the TORS, and this did not help. I checked all vent lines, and every thing seems OK, but it still backfires. Only mod is ECP air kit, but I don't think that is a factor. Ant other suggestions? thanks

Sounds like running lean.Did you change the main jets from 137.5 to 165 ?2 turns out on the air screws,change plugs to new ones,clean your carbs again .Check for damage wires up front by tool box.

Make sure the choke is turning off all the way...I had to mod mine to make sure it was off...All o-rings under carb tops? dirty pilots...make sure on of the fuel lines from the pump to the carbs is not pinched......good luck...let me know how things work out..Are you from western NY ??

how many miles are on the sled? And have you ever fouled the plugs? might try a fresh set of plugs I know my sons 4-stroke quad will backfire when plugs are bad.

Speedy: Westernville NY is about 12 miles north of Rome. Choke was tirned off, I checked that. Rage 2005: about 3,200 miles on sled, never fouled a plug, they look good. Blue Shawdow: I did put in the 165 main jets. I have about 2,000 miles with the air kit on, and had about 3,000 miles on my Warrior last year with the air kit on, and never had rthis backfiring problem. I did override the TORS and still backfires. Guess I will have to bring it to the dealer. Hate to wait to have fixed, already had to wait 4 days earlier for a valve cover gasket.

if those are original plugs it might be worth it to try new ones cause my sons looked great too on his quad...but if you foul them one time too much we found it ruins the plugs and backfires.. I would try that if you haven't already cause sometimes the dealers aren't so good at figuring anything out. and thats madening to pay for nothing :o|

I had something similiar happen to me 03 when it was near new, I pulled the carbs to clean them and found that two fuel screws where at 1 3/4 turns and two were at 2 3/4 turns. I synched them all at 2 turns, made sure all the jets and passages were clean and haven't had it happen since.

Not sure if you already mentioned this, but mine did the same thing when the carbs were out of sync - had them re-synced and it was perfect again.

When you checked your plugs did the coils seem loose? Did you pull off the rubber boots from the coils and try sliding a spark plug in...I had one that was screwed up and all the plugs had bad wear marks at the point of contact inside the coils...I used Deep Creep to clean the coils up--- but had to replace the plugs...

Back