• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2005 RX1 vs 2006 Apex

LB... i wouldnt have had to add a 13mm swaybar and skis and long carbides with lots of ski pressure if they would have made the APEX back in 04!

MR sled (tom) has an 05 Rx-1 with the wide front end and 13mm swaybar and he even admitted that the stock apex handled way better than his sled!

For me it was a no brainer... sell the rx and get a GT!!

My problem with rider forward remains the lack of wind protection. It will always be a problem. There is no way that they are going to put a windshield on these things that sticks up 4" higher than the old RX-1 Windshield because it would look like a UPS truck. Anyone I have known that owned a Rev said it was the coldest sled they ever owned, the Apex will be the same in that respect. I hope they figure it out in the next couple of years, because I will be buying one eventually, but this sled (and the Rev) were not made for the type of riding my group does. High speed flat trails all day long at sometimes very cold temperatures.

IMHO Don't blame the riding position for a sled being cold QC, it's that narrow nose that allows air from the sides that makes the REV so damn cold. The front is much wider on the Apex/Attak :ORC

Thank heavens I am not trying to sell a used Yamaha. you guys crack me up with the marketing stuff. I have never heard any rider describe any year old sled as a dino. the 06 is a great sled but not the second coming, what are you going to say about the 06 when the 07 comes out.

For the average rider an 05 is 90% as good as the 06 in daily riding IMHO.

Jim

I agree jim..

for most the 05 is a great sled as long as you are not a very aggressive rider at times and are willing to stick a little money in it to make it handle better! It really does have a great rear suspension..

Just something to think about..!

What did the rev owners think about the previous 02 sleds once the rev came out..?? Im sure they called them a DINO.. LOL and skidoo hasnt looked back and neither will yami...

QCRider said:
My problem with rider forward remains the lack of wind protection. It will always be a problem. There is no way that they are going to put a windshield on these things that sticks up 4" higher than the old RX-1 Windshield because it would look like a UPS truck. Anyone I have known that owned a Rev said it was the coldest sled they ever owned, the Apex will be the same in that respect. I hope they figure it out in the next couple of years, because I will be buying one eventually, but this sled (and the Rev) were not made for the type of riding my group does. High speed flat trails all day long at sometimes very cold temperatures.

Have you seen the Attak windshield? That thing gives great wind protection.

Yamahnator said:
QCRider said:

Have you seen the Attak windshield? That thing gives great wind protection.

How could it? It only comes up to my ribs!

greenmachine said:
Thank heavens I am not trying to sell a used Yamaha. you guys crack me up with the marketing stuff. I have never heard any rider describe any year old sled as a dino. the 06 is a great sled but not the second coming, what are you going to say about the 06 when the 07 comes out.

For the average rider an 05 is 90% as good as the 06 in daily riding IMHO.

Jim
If their are as many changes to the 07 as there were to the 06 from the 05, then the 06 will be a dino. But, I believe you won't see many changes to the Apex for 07, Yamaha should be bringing out a new sled to go against the 440 racers, but with a 600 package so they can race in the 440-600 class. I am speculating but I can see maybe around a 480lbs sled with 120hp twin 4 stroke. :4STroke:

QCRider said:
I owned an 03 REV 800 and it was probably the warmest sled I have ever ridden. I believe the guys who you talked to were either riding 440's or have the newer X models or they broke there shields off. The newer X models have a dicky windshield, but my 03 was awesome for wind protection.

Just went through the same decision. Opted for a mint (300 mile) 05 RX-1...that guy traded on an APEX RTX.
My decision was twofold 1) financial less $$ to buy and lose less $$ on depreciation I tend to keep a sled only 1-2 seasons. 2) let the "bugs" get worked out of new APEX design. As much as I believe they will be awesome, it won't take long to see how they are doing by reading this forum. There is great feedback info here. Then if things are good, buy a used 06 next year....let someone else take the first year $$ pounding.
An RX-1 is a great sled (just sold an 04 that I had bought new), you will not be disappointed to own one.
Have fun!!

LazyBastard said:
Its really not surprising that it would be the BS that lured away the doo crowd, since their whole platform is pure marketing and has nothing to do with the (obviously far inferior in all respects) tech.

Those Bold New Graphics really paid off for Yammie. They should do it more often!

No, actually what lured them away was a chassis that finally gave them what SkiDoo gave them for the past three years, but with better leg room and the smooth 4 stroke power. Get your head out of the sand. If you think SkiDoo got to number one market share by just marketing, I have a sno-x team forming. We're running Exciters and we need financial backing. :ORC

TT670 said:
LazyBastard said:
Its really not surprising that it would be the BS that lured away the doo crowd, since their whole platform is pure marketing and has nothing to do with the (obviously far inferior in all respects) tech.

Those Bold New Graphics really paid off for Yammie. They should do it more often!

Youre welcome to keep you insults to yourself. Ive got 2 REVs parked next to my RTX to make comparisons with and having ridden an RX1 I can say with 100% certainty theres alot more than BNG and a relocated handlebar riser to the Apex,. High tech or not the REV and RT chassis are the sleds everyone else is chasing, and there real good, had the motors lived up to past Rotax standards I wouldnt have even given Yamaha a look. Ive been riding sleds for 20+ years, know them pretty well and am far from the type that falls for BS marketing.

Me thinks that you know alot more of what you speak than someone else. I also have a REV in the garage, that I doubt I'll ever get rid of.

QCRider said:

So I guess you have wind tunnel analysis to back up your findings? I made my REV quite comfy with a fixed mount mid shield, and I ride in Quebec where it's often below zero.

Back