• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2005 vector power loss after 60mph

05VectorDV

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 apex ER
i have a 2005 vector that i cant seem to figure out why it wont go over about 60 mph. I've replaced the donuts, cleaned the carbs multiple times, and replaced the drive belt. It was running great up until the donuts went bad. now it doesn't seem to have any power top end. It idles good, and seems to have the power when on a jack stand, but once put under load it wont do much over 60. Does anyone have some insight? or know what might be the issue?

when where the clutches last cleaned/serviced?

If it ran fine with bad donuts, then my best internet diagnosis is a partially blocked exhaust from something and now with a sealed exhaust it can't breathe.

Did you have it stored somewhere that mice could have built an apartment complex in the muffler?

If it ran fine with bad donuts, then my best internet diagnosis is a partially blocked exhaust from something and now with a sealed exhaust it can't breathe.

Did you have it stored somewhere that mice could have built an apartment complex in the muffler?

it ran horribly with the bad doughnut gaskets. im wondering if a fouled plug would make it run this bad? its almost like its only running off two cylinders. And as far as the exhaust goes. there aren't to may places a mouse cant go,so the there is a change,but it seems to be getting a good flow through them.

would a fouled plug cause this issue?
Yes that could be the case, so go ahead and check them. Make sure they're the right ones too. How long since last check?

Yes that could be the case, so go ahead and check them. Make sure they're the right ones too. How long since last check?
late last winter/ early spring. It was shortly after that it was stored for the summer.

Yes , check the carb boots and your air box. Two years ago my daughter went off trail and a branch poked a hole in the air box . It would start and idle fine but I could only go 50 mph . Once I discovered the hole and installed a new box it ran perfect! Check the rest of the things mentioned in other post . But double check the boots and air box

The engine isn't winding out so, that leads me to believe that its not the clutches... right?
I have had a broken primary spring and it limited my speed . You can do a visual inspection of both clutches very quickly . Check springs , and secondary clutch buttons , check belt , then support the rear safely and Rev up the motor to make sure clutches are working properly . If air box is installed correctly and carb boots and it still doesn't work then change the plugs and see if that helps. If possible check for spark when changing the plugs . If its none of those then its back to the carbs .

I have had a broken primary spring and it limited my speed . You can do a visual inspection of both clutches very quickly . Check springs , and secondary clutch buttons , check belt , then support the rear safely and Rev up the motor to make sure clutches are working properly . If air box is installed correctly and carb boots and it still doesn't work then change the plugs and see if that helps. If possible check for spark when changing the plugs . If its none of those then its back to the carbs .
alright, ill be at the shop all day tomorrow hopefully i can locate the problem. thanks for the help. ill let you guys know how it goes

It appears the air box has been repaired with sealant of some sort. There is also some visible around the the carb boots on the air filter side. Is this factory or did the previous owner do this? Also I was able to spray starting fluid around that same area and it made the engine idle go up so clearly it’s getting by, just don’t know if it’s enough to make a significant impact..?

Back