• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2006 Apex, Massive Oil Leak

Your oil light did not go on because you still had oil pressure, this is a good thing. Next is the tank, level the dip stick in the tank will let you know when your down to about a liter left in the tank. Oil pump feeds off the bottom of the tank so your oil pump is still being fed. If the oil is coming out the bottom then the oil filter is suspect and could be double oil ringed (one left on from the last oil filter change) or the oil ring popped out or broke. One TY ride a guy was loosing oil like crazy and the culprit was a filter not tightened enough and it pushed the oil ring out a bit causing quite a leak. I have heard but never witnessed overtightened oil filter causing the oil ring to leak.

Oil from the airbox drains to the bottom but not usually in that kind of an amount. Could be a rubbed hose or leaking hose connection under the motor. Oil pump feed line and oil return line are connected to the motor down there. Buddy lost his motor in his RX after install of a supercharger because of a rubbed hose. Light and mirrors and a good sense of feel is you best bet if its not the filter.

Do it now before summer comes, as I always hate them damn I got to get this done so I can ride and I had all summer to fix it. But hey misery enjoys company!

Thanks, I will take a look at this this weekend and report back, I am hoping it is filter. Appreciate the suggestions.

Ding or its the pressure in the tank pushing the oil out the seam. I found mine while sitting in my garage it didn't have to be running to leak.
And this year the tank cracked. Last 2 years it was the hose, but this year the leak was much faster and it is a cracked tank. Going to have to look into this aftermarket tank.

Randy there on ebay. I have one and they are built way better than stock. Have a lifetime warranty too.

Ordered one, thanks. Hope you are doing well.

My 11 Apex had a cracked tank at 7,000kms, the tank was replaced with new tank when I bought sled used from dealer. For peace of mind, I have since installed the oil tank isolator kit from Travis at Barn of Parts, works slick, maybe something to consider for these aftermarket tanks too.

On the massive oil leak, I would look at the valve cover gasket. I had a buddy lose a crapper load of oil on the trail this season because the gasket dislodged itself at the end of the cylinder head valve cover. There is a semi-circular lobe of this gasket easily seen on each side of the head that can push out of place if there happens to be any significant crankcase pressure. It pops right back into place without removing the valve cover.
In his case the crankcase vent had frozen up on a very cold morning and caused the increased crankcase pressure.
Cheers.

Finally took it apart. I have no idea where it's leaking. I was down almost 2 quarts in the reservoir. Everything is dry around the tank (New aftermarket) and I topped it off to the correct amount and ran it until it got hot, no leaks anywhere. Also the air filter seemed dry in there as well. I took off the filter and the O ring wasn't doubled up.
I had topped off the tank before that ride, I understand that if there is too much oil it will siphon out, my question is once it starts siphoning does it continue until its dry?

My 11 Apex had a cracked tank at 7,000kms, the tank was replaced with new tank when I bought sled used from dealer. For peace of mind, I have since installed the oil tank isolator kit from Travis at Barn of Parts, works slick, maybe something to consider for these aftermarket tanks too.

On the massive oil leak, I would look at the valve cover gasket. I had a buddy lose a crapper load of oil on the trail this season because the gasket dislodged itself at the end of the cylinder head valve cover. There is a semi-circular lobe of this gasket easily seen on each side of the head that can push out of place if there happens to be any significant crankcase pressure. It pops right back into place without removing the valve cover.
In his case the crankcase vent had frozen up on a very cold morning and caused the increased crankcase pressure.
Cheers.
I am going to check that next.

after you topped it off and ran it was it still at the right level i ask because in some situations the tank can be low on oil but it is all somehow trapped in the system and then if you run it and shut it down and recheck the level it can be right on thats why the manual states to run engine prior to checking oil level. just a thought.

after you topped it off and ran it was it still at the right level i ask because in some situations the tank can be low on oil but it is all somehow trapped in the system and then if you run it and shut it down and recheck the level it can be right on thats why the manual states to run engine prior to checking oil level. just a thought.
Thanks for the reply, ran it yesterday after filling it up and the level stayed the same, no leaks and it was circulating properly.

wonder if you are somehow burning it also has it been upside down? my old rx1 would burn up a qt of oil in a day if i rode it hard and never seen any smoke but that was a common problem with the rx1

wonder if you are somehow burning it also has it been upside down? my old rx1 would burn up a qt of oil in a day if i rode it hard and never seen any smoke but that was a common problem with the rx1
It was my last ride of the season. Stopped at a rest stop and it was pouring out the bottom almost like a hose had let go. Machine was upright all day. Only thing I did differently that day was topping off the oil. I ended up losing approx 2 quarts from the leak (had to drive it back to the trailer)

strange and now you cant find it? have you got the sled up to full templike almost over heating it I would even go so far as to let it run till light comes on from heat before shutting it down just to be sure you got it as warm as you safely can to be sure it isnt heat related as to when it leaks just be carefull the sled will shut down if it gets too warm as long as it if working properly also check antifreeze level first as heat sensor is in the coolant line.

strange and now you cant find it? have you got the sled up to full templike almost over heating it I would even go so far as to let it run till light comes on from heat before shutting it down just to be sure you got it as warm as you safely can to be sure it isnt heat related as to when it leaks just be carefull the sled will shut down if it gets too warm as long as it if working properly also check antifreeze level first as heat sensor is in the coolant line.
It got pretty hot, it was stupid hot outside yesterday.

When it leaked it was a pretty warm day with little snow for cooling. The tank is dry, no sign of leaking around the head gasket, dry below the oil filter, the air box was dry as well. The only thing that had oil on it was the oil line coming from the bottom of the tank to I believe is the oil pump. Seeing it's all apart, I am going to pull this line off to see if there if it's cut or split.

Back