• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2006 Apex, Massive Oil Leak

Walked in the garage the other day and found 1/4cup of oil on the floor. Tore it apart lastnight to search for a leak, oil filter tight and no residue underneath the engine, looks like the foam attached to the front bulkhead that lies underneath part of the oil tank has absorbed oil. Oil looks to of run down the hose and dripped down at the bulkhead. Now is it the tank or the hose that is my problem?

Changed to used OEM tank today I got from Travis.

Travis I was heavy handed and one of the 2 smaller isolators broke - I'm guessing I'm not the first. Installed tank without the vibration dampeners. I don't miss the rear exhaust or the drone but the 4Cy sure sounds nice compared to my Winder.

Walked in the garage the other day and found 1/4cup of oil on the floor. Tore it apart lastnight to search for a leak, oil filter tight and no residue underneath the engine, looks like the foam attached to the front bulkhead that lies underneath part of the oil tank has absorbed oil. Oil looks to of run down the hose and dripped down at the bulkhead. Now is it the tank or the hose that is my problem?
IMO Because so many have had leaking hairline cracks in the oil tank this is the most likely cause of yours.

From what I can dig up the older RX1's had an oil pickup with the recessed o-ring groove in the steel flange instead of the oil tank boss like the newer sleds, but it did not have a pickup screen tube.

That's odd because I could have swore the steel flange on my 03 RX-1 has the pickup screen tube.

That's odd because I could have swore the steel flange on my 03 RX-1 has the pickup screen tube.
I was just going by the online fiche part numbers...

Looks like the CFM Apex.RX1 oil tanks on Ebay now incorporate an o-ring anyhow, according to photos posted.
Problem solved.

Attachments

• CFM tank.jpg
    CFM tank.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 95
Yeah but probably machining an actual groove for the o-ring and not a just chamfer like I did.

Just had same issue........my problem was K&N filter leaking from inside the welded on Hex?!?! Just a dribble but enough that I was losing 1 quart every 100 miles or so.......never gonna use K&N in my sled again.....too much work to get to the damn filter!

Just had same issue........my problem was K&N filter leaking from inside the welded on Hex?!?! Just a dribble but enough that I was losing 1 quart every 100 miles or so.......never gonna use K&N in my sled again.....too much work to get to the damn filter!
Good to know, thanks for the heads up. Hard to beat the OEM Yamaha quality control

Back