• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2006 Apex, Massive Oil Leak

Hoxtongue

Extreme
Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2006 Yamaha Apex RTX
A few weeks back (last ride) I was out for the day and when I stopped I noticed a bunch of oil leaking from the panel under where the drain plug is. I shut it off, let it drip, topped it off and drove it home. The reservoir tank dipstick was just barely showing oil, so I lost quite a bit and it continued to leak all the way home.

Hopefully I could answer some questions:

1) I had topped it off prior to leaving that day, I had been running on the low side all season and figured I should add some more

2) The air breather looked like it had a little oil in it, but not the amount that was pouring out, so I don't believe I had over filled it. Also wouldn't it just drain off the overfill amount then stop or does it act like a siphon once it starts?

3) I pulled off the panel and my drain plug is still in tact and tight, nxt I will check the filter.

Are there any lines that could have disconnected? Why didn't my oil light go on?

Thanks for your help.

A few weeks back (last ride) I was out for the day and when I stopped I noticed a bunch of oil leaking from the panel under where the drain plug is. I shut it off, let it drip, topped it off and drove it home. The reservoir tank dipstick was just barely showing oil, so I lost quite a bit and it continued to leak all the way home.

Hopefully I could answer some questions:

1) I had topped it off prior to leaving that day, I had been running on the low side all season and figured I should add some more

2) The air breather looked like it had a little oil in it, but not the amount that was pouring out, so I don't believe I had over filled it. Also wouldn't it just drain off the overfill amount then stop or does it act like a siphon once it starts?

3) I pulled off the panel and my drain plug is still in tact and tight, nxt I will check the filter.

Are there any lines that could have disconnected? Why didn't my oil light go on?

Thanks for your help.
Mine did the same thing at around 9000 miles the seam split I put a new tank in or you can weld it up. also my radar bracket broke I welded those.

Mine did the same thing at around 9000 miles the seam split I put a new tank in or you can weld it up. also my radar bracket broke I welded those.

Thanks, I actually have a brand new custom made tank to replace the original one. Have approx 2,000 miles on it with no issues, all is dry around the tank.

This drove me crazy to find I never confirmed it until I took the tank out. The oil ran down the bottom hose and on to the side panel and out. My dealer said he has seen this before and he was right.

My hose on the bottom of the tank likes to leak after hard riding. I will replace it this year to see if I can correct it. I think the rubber hose just gets old like a hose on a car. If you do rollover and don't have a rollover valve, it can dump oil too.

Ding or its the pressure in the tank pushing the oil out the seam. I found mine while sitting in my garage it didn't have to be running to leak.

If any of you guys have leaking oil tanks,
cfm performance sells a beautiful looking tig welded aluminim tank on ebay for 200 bucks.
I think the stock tank costs about 160 or so. It would be well worth it to buy the ebay tank in you plan to keep the sled for a while

Is anyone actually reading my post?...my tank isn't leaking, I have an aftermarket tank as mentioned in my reply above (I have the CFM tank), no issues what so ever, it's leaking from somewhere underneath the engine.

Plus when the tank originally leaked it was a slow seepage, this is pouring out....but with no loss in engine performance and also within the correct temp range.

Is anyone actually reading my post?...my tank isn't leaking, I have an aftermarket tank as mentioned in my reply above (I have the CFM tank), no issues what so ever, it's leaking from somewhere underneath the engine.

Plus when the tank originally leaked it was a slow seepage, this is pouring out....but with no loss in engine performance and also within the correct temp range.

Ya i read your first post but missed the second one.
Good luck

Double o ring on oil filter?
No just one, it ran all season without an issue. I will hopefully get to the filter to see if there is something loose there. But I am losing interest fast with all the other toys that need prepped for Summer.

I would connect your breather hose to a small container to see if that's the major source and work back from there.

Your oil light did not go on because you still had oil pressure, this is a good thing. Next is the tank, level the dip stick in the tank will let you know when your down to about a liter left in the tank. Oil pump feeds off the bottom of the tank so your oil pump is still being fed. If the oil is coming out the bottom then the oil filter is suspect and could be double oil ringed (one left on from the last oil filter change) or the oil ring popped out or broke. One TY ride a guy was loosing oil like crazy and the culprit was a filter not tightened enough and it pushed the oil ring out a bit causing quite a leak. I have heard but never witnessed overtightened oil filter causing the oil ring to leak.

Oil from the airbox drains to the bottom but not usually in that kind of an amount. Could be a rubbed hose or leaking hose connection under the motor. Oil pump feed line and oil return line are connected to the motor down there. Buddy lost his motor in his RX after install of a supercharger because of a rubbed hose. Light and mirrors and a good sense of feel is you best bet if its not the filter.

Do it now before summer comes, as I always hate them damn I got to get this done so I can ride and I had all summer to fix it. But hey misery enjoys company!

Back