• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2006 Attak air box boot to throttle body nightmare

Glenn Wowryk

Hello to all providing the great information on this site. I started riding a 2006 Attak for the 2010/11 season. Information on this site has enabled me to do my own maintenance and gain a good understanding of this machine. Yesteday was the first time changing the oil filter element. All went well and predictably accept what's with getting the rubber boots on the air box aligned to the throttle body. It almost seems like either the boot or the body is too short to accept and hold the other, or the angle is not right. I move it to one side and the other pops off and so on. I honestly spent more time trying to get this back on properly than the whole job! Then I gave up and went on TY to see that several posters indicate the difficulty with this, but I don't see anything specific. I know it's hard to describe specific pulls/pushes tweeks etc., but is there anything anyone can offer (tips/tricks) that may help me get this done? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Glenn.

I always used a little motor oil on the rubber lips to help them slide on. Once on they will click and you will know they are in place.

This has never been easy, but you do get better at it once you do it a couple times.

Hi Glen, welcome on board, where are you from? Yes it can be a bear to re-install. All 4 clamps are loose correct? I put a little spit on them and they slide in but make sure not to kink the boot, my 2011 came with 2 kinked and clamps over-tightened and twisted, so don't over-tighten! Unless throttle bodies are mis-aligned should slide right on. Good luck! :exc:

Attachments

• 100_1568.JPG
    100_1568.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 89
Thanks folks for the quick response. I'm about 15 miles north of Winnipeg in St. Andrews MB. Seems like the common suggestion is just try a little lube on the boots. Sounds way too simple. Maybe I should have thought of that! Going to try it again right now. Thanks again.

Glenn Wowryk said:
Thanks folks for the quick response. I'm about 15 miles north of Winnipeg in St. Andrews MB. Seems like the common suggestion is just try a little lube on the boots. Sounds way too simple. Maybe I should have thought of that! Going to try it again right now. Thanks again.

Also, for whats its worth, to make things easier, you should do these things:

Take some WD-40 and lube up the flutes (after a while the wd-40 will dry and not allow the flutes to slip off), leave the bolts loose as possible on the clamps, rotate the pto clamp so you can get at it from the side (standing facing secondary clutch), push the lid straight on (make sure hoses beneath both are nearby and can be easily pressed on), then open the lid and insepect with flashlight as well as by touch to make sure the flutes are flush and smooth with the TB's. Then just put on the clamps and done!.

X2 on the WD40 appliction,slips on smooth and then keeps them there.

Hello to all providing the great information on this site. I started riding a 2006 Attak for the 2010/11 season. Information on this site has enabled me to do my own maintenance and gain a good understanding of this machine. Yesteday was the first time changing the oil filter element. All went well and predictably accept what's with getting the rubber boots on the air box aligned to the throttle body. It almost seems like either the boot or the body is too short to accept and hold the other, or the angle is not right. I move it to one side and the other pops off and so on. I honestly spent more time trying to get this back on properly than the whole job! Then I gave up and went on TY to see that several posters indicate the difficulty with this, but I don't see anything specific. I know it's hard to describe specific pulls/pushes tweeks etc., but is there anything anyone can offer (tips/tricks) that may help me get this done? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Glenn.
Same issue here. Do I even need the metal clamps??? Could I just add a rubber strap system to pull the top down tight to hold the boots in place?? It would make simpler for access and installation for future work

Back