• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2006 Rage rear suspension and valve clearance check/adjust

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2006 Rage
So really enjoyed riding the sled this year after my seat, handlebar height and other changes. But the rear suspension is not the best ive ridden, it does not handle chopping bumps well, even at slow speeds, I am thinking the shock/s are gone in it. I was considering just swapping it out for one I am familiar with but then I read many threads on the mono shock skid and revalving of the shock and how it improved its ride.

I looked at my skid again this past weekend as its up to camp and though it has a horizontal shock with a large spring up high in it, it also has another smaller horizontal shock with no spring down low by the track. With that I am guessing this is not the mono shock skid.

Looking at what my options are and here are my questions:

1 - Will a 136in mono shock skid bolt right into my tunnel?

2 - Are the shocks in my stock skid rebuildable and if so will having a multi valve setup put in them improve the ride?

3 - In either option above who can I send the shock/s off to for a rebuild? I read several threads that mention Pioneer but none mentioned their contact info and I cannot find them on the web.

Also the sled has 10K miles on it, I see people saying you should check the valve clearance early and others to wait till 25K. Id just soon check it now but I cannot find the procedure, is there a place you can download the manual?

Thanks!

~ Phil

That's the Monoshock. The lower part you see is the transfer rod, not a shock.

That's what adjusts weight transfer under acceleration.

At 10,000 miles, that shock was junk thousands of miles ago. Unless you are close to or over 300 lbs, the stock spring and valving is fine.

Otherwise, look into the big boy spring and Hygear suspension.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAAegQIBxAD&usg=AOvVaw3s1hWoAQ15t3dFbJsCiYz8

And before the valve clearance check, I'd be more concerned about the timing chain tensioner failure, unless it's been updated already.

Hi thanks, I was just looking at pictures in google and found one that lead me to a thread here on how to adjust the transfer rod. Thanks for the link, so the stock shock is rebuild able? Is it a Ohlins unit?

Thank you

~ Phil

Yes it's rebuildable. No, it's not an Ohlins brand.

And before the valve clearance check, I'd be more concerned about the timing chain tensioner failure, unless it's been updated already.
Hi that was the ONE thing I knew and checked before buying it, it has the updated tensioner already.

Is the manual downloadable for the sled? Or is there a link to just the procedure to check the valve clearance?

I found this thread that talks about it and has a screen shot to one page that talks about the procedure but not sure its the entire process. Also appears I need a shim kit??

https://ty4stroke.com/threads/trouble-idling-when-cold.147424/page-4

Thanks ~ Phil

Back