• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2006 to 2010 Apex

sk-rx1

TY 4 Stroke Guru
The 2006 Apex is a great sled and was a significant upgrade from the RX-1. It gave us the more rider forward riding position, new FI motor with lightweight crankshaft and a revised Gen 2 front suspension, these features highlighted in the 2010 release notes. Since then the changes that come to mind are revised shock and spring settings, a new rear heat exchanger in 2009, and hopefully improved hand warmers for 2010. And a significant cost increase. I don't see how this can allow Yamaha to increase, or even maintain, it's market share, especially after one of the best winters in recent years. I realize that 2010 will be a slow year for all vehicle sales, but I thought that the US automakers had learned that product sells vehicles.
Ok, I'm done

Agreed! Yamaha sure has not given me any reason to want to trade in my '07 on anything new. If I wasn't so brand loyal (10 new Yamaha's in the past 20 years) I would probably jump ship like many other guys apparently have.

I have to agree also. I was really thinking about upgrading my 2006 but having second thoughts now. What would I gain? A few spring changes, rear cooler, all things I could add to mine at for a lot less cash. To bad, need to get this troubled economy moving.

Makes me happy with my 08 Anniversary Apex. I usually buy a sled and keep it for many years. My previous sled was a 91 Phazer II and it was in the same condition when I sold it as it was new. I buy Yamaha because they last and hold their value. All I ever did with my Phazer was change a few plugs and a couple of belts. I'll worry about what Yamaha has new and exciting in about 5-6 years. Till then I'll enjoy the best looking sled they have ever made.

If it is really well designed, it should be difficult to improve every year ...

A badly designed machine is easy to improve (every year).

I bought a Yamaha ($$$) because I did not want to "have" to replace it.
In 6 or 8 or 10 years when the next really new and good one is out, I’ll buy one of those too.

smacho said:
If it is really well designed, it should be difficult to improve every year ...

A badly designed machine is easy to improve (every year).

I bought a Yamaha ($$$) because I did not want to "have" to replace it.
In 6 or 8 or 10 years when the next really new and good one is out, I’ll buy one of those too.

;)! :yam:

I was discussing this with a die hard doo guy this morning. Firstly, it's a snowmobile. Not too much you can do anymore, clean sheet of paper wise. Calibration and refinement maybe. Doo went from a perfectly good zx chassis to rider forward rev. Good race sled too. Then moved the rider back a little on the xp. Not so good race sled according to some semi pro racers I talked to, to pursue the title of lightest. Other than well calibrated suspensions, what noticeable difference did moving the rider around do? Some doo guys here love my Apex's ride quality over most trail junk. Even cars are getting loaded up with electro goodies, but the chassis are still 4 wheels and springs...every year the 'structural rigidity' is improved a zillion percent. Sorry, I've seen 20 year old Caddies that are rock solid, even compared to todays stuff. And my old neon gets 35 mpg....and blows those turdly Prius's off the road on every hill...
I think sometimes sled makers actually go backwards, but we get that glossy look with new stuff and say it's the best since sliced bread. Look at the slow speeds at the shootout..after all these years and claims, you'd think sleds would be going 200 mph in the quarter...
Just rambling...sorry.
New turbo Yammy in 2012, as the Mayan calendar ends..LOL

I agree totally. My brother, who's not much into sleds just bought a 98 grand touring deluxe doo.After laughing how old school it looked I made the mistake of giving it a try. I was shocked how smooth it rode and absuletly zero darting.That thing goes down the trail so effertlessly I could not believe it. Yes it was a very boring ride but it makes you wonder with the new sleds being higher off the ground with more travel and more agressive skis and camber angle that they havent gone a little backward with some of the advancements.Granted you can go through the rough stuff twice as fast, i think there could be better compromise between the years.I love my 07 rtx but i makes you wonder.

I think the lineup is great! This way i won't have to buy a new sled. With some maintenance mine will run many year's if need be so i don't have to buy one because mine is shot. At this point the others are Turboing and so on to catch the Apex. Doo has a 1,200 that is lame compared to the 1,000 Apex and is built like a pop can, It will need forced induction to come close to beating my Attak. The reason Yamaha is comfortable with what they have is because they were so far ahead of every one in the four stroke world when the Apex came out and they are still a far superior four stroke to anything built to date. When you show me a four stroke that puts a bigger smile on my face than my Attak than i will say Yamaha needs to step up. Until then i am good. kviper

You know, brand loyal types will read this and say we're all smurfs....but the fact is some manu's really do go backwards trying to come up with stuff every year instead of fine tuning a good concept from the get go.
For a 600 class 4 stroke, an Apex sure gets some of the so called hot iron's panties in a bunch.

ok, ok, we can say how great they are, but seriously, if the only thing they can brag about is FINALLY putting replaceable bearings in their wheels and making handwarmers work that should have been there in '06 is ridiculous.

How about using a cobra track stock, how about HID lights (kits are cheap nowadays), how about throwing in the newer R1 motor. I'm no engineer, but would it be very difficult? Let's not even get started on their skis.....I see that they went back to the mono shock for all model apex's (correct me if I'm wrong). What happened to the fox floats? Anything wrong with them? I love mine...no problems at all.

Do they not think that by making little to no improvements that people won't try the latest and greatest from DOO and CAT? That turbo cat is going to catch a lot of peope's eyes...and wallets. They see the word "turbo" on the hood of that cat and go for it.

As said earlier. This site is free research and feedback for yamaha...they need to use it.

My final word is this....no matter how good YOU think the yammie sleds are.....many people get bored riding the same sled for more than 4 years and will jump ship. Yamaha could easily prevent this with a little more effort. We're not asking for much....fix the bugs and throw the new R1 motor in the sled and they'd keep the 4-stroke crown.

P.S. I love my apex after putting some work into it. Please post if the 2010 sleds actually have good hand warmers and if we can buy a cheap set of 2010 grips/wiring or whatever to fix our cold hands.....

I guess i wouldn't say they are bragging about the new wheel's, petty to even mention it on our end but it was a change so they had to mention it. Nothing wrong with the ski's with Snowtracker's, Best setup on the snow unless you need wider for float in powder. Cobra track, From what i have been hearing i will keep my Ripsaw (topend loss). Cat getting in to peoples pocket's, You bet they will at 13,800 plus 1,200 for a boondocker to make it beat an Apex $15,000 WOW!!! and it will still sound gay. The R-1 motor is not just a slap in done deal, It will need gear reduction and different camming to work well in a sled, Doable but not quite that simple. Snowmobiler's have many different riding styles, Opinion's and preferences, No one makes a sled that is for every one. kviper

Wisconsin said:
ok, ok, we can say how great they are, but seriously, if the only thing they can brag about is FINALLY putting replaceable bearings in their wheels and making handwarmers work that should have been there in '06 is ridiculous.

How about using a cobra track stock, how about HID lights (kits are cheap nowadays), how about throwing in the newer R1 motor. I'm no engineer, but would it be very difficult? Let's not even get started on their skis.....I see that they went back to the mono shock for all model apex's (correct me if I'm wrong). What happened to the fox floats? Anything wrong with them? I love mine...no problems at all.

Do they not think that by making little to no improvements that people won't try the latest and greatest from DOO and CAT? That turbo cat is going to catch a lot of peope's eyes...and wallets. They see the word "turbo" on the hood of that cat and go for it.

As said earlier. This site is free research and feedback for yamaha...they need to use it.

My final word is this....no matter how good YOU think the yammie sleds are.....many people get bored riding the same sled for more than 4 years and will jump ship. Yamaha could easily prevent this with a little more effort. We're not asking for much....fix the bugs and throw the new R1 motor in the sled and they'd keep the 4-stroke crown.

P.S. I love my apex after putting some work into it. Please post if the 2010 sleds actually have good hand warmers and if we can buy a cheap set of 2010 grips/wiring or whatever to fix our cold hands.....

I agree, but I have to justify it in my own mind...although with the economy, if they did thier research right, they may be in the best shape of all of them. New sizzle with a down eco still won't make many sales to justify all the input. I have to believe with the way they started the 4 stroke thing, new suspensions, the apex, the phazer, the nytro, in a few years, says to me they have stuff ready to go, but might as well wait until the market says it's profitable. Good business for them for survival, but leads those on the edge wanting something else. I for one will put more $ into my 06 and make it even better next year. Then when they bring out something truly new, I'll take a look. But I don't think I'll jump ship just because there's something else out there just as good, or slightly better in some regard. My Apex has lots of fun per cubic mile in MOST conditions, and the conditions it isn't the best in, I really don't care about anymore.
Too many positives to just bail out.
Watercraft, wheelers and bikes? A MUCH larger market. Not too many riders south of Mason Dixon line...... :flag:

Back