• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2007 Nytro - running like crap.

Yeller

TY 4 Stroke Junkie
Was out for the first ride yesterday. 35 kms into the ride started running rough at low rpms and at idle and didn't have the go it usually does at higher rpms. Figured it was a fouled plug. By disconnecting the plug wires one at a time found the mag side cylinder to be the problem. Pulled the plug and had fire. In fact when testing for fire the sled caught fire from gas coming out of the cylinder. got the fire out quickly with no damage. Put the plug back in and still running like crap. I think it may be dirt in the carb allowing too much fuel into the cylinder and flooding it. Any know what the problem could be? After turning the sled off it's really hard to get going and blue grey smoke comes out of the exhaust.

To summerize I added fuel stabilizer, ran it, then drained the carbs using the drain screws. I could get the carbs freed enough to gain access to the bottom of the carbs to get to the jets. Is there a trick to this? Besides, I figured they wouldn't be dirty this fall after being drained at the end of the season.

If the mag cylinder is flooding, will gas get into the engine oil? If so should the oil be changed right away?

Only way to properly clean the carbs is to take em off the sled and really get into them, take the bowls off, take the jets out, use good carb cleaner, get into the jets with a jet cleaning tool, if you have one. Fuel stabilizer works to a point, but should not be reilied on as 100% effective.

If it has carbs, I would definitely recommend taking em off every season and give them a good cleaning, just as preventative maintenace, whether it needs it or not. It may not need it NOW, but it will eventually. Might as well do it while it is still in the garage rather than having an issue out on the trails.

--Steve (O.C.)

So when you take the carbs completely off what do you do with the coolant hoses attached to them? Do you pinch them off so you don't lose all of your coolant? I always used to take my carbs apart on my two strokes but they were a little less complex.

Not sure on the size of the lines on your sled but plain wood golf tee's worked good on my buddy's Viper. Just pull the hose slip the tee in and you can even put the clamp on to keep it from slidding out. Also works good on the fuel lines, But like I said use unpainted ones at least on the fuel lines as you don't want to clean the carbs only to add paint resisdue back into the system.

Hi Rik,

Happy New Year 2008.

Holy crap, the same thing happen to my brother's Nytro 2007 (we have 3 of 'em). And the same cylinder. That is 3-4 days ago.

We brought the sled to our dealer in Maniwaki. They cleaned the carbs and the sled works great now.

I did the same thing last spring by running fuel stabil and emptying the carbs.

Send me a pm, I'd like to know your suspension setup (front and rear).
Thx
Guy

rik said:
Was out for the first ride yesterday. 35 kms into the ride started running rough at low rpms and at idle and didn't have the go it usually does at higher rpms. Figured it was a fouled plug. By disconnecting the plug wires one at a time found the mag side cylinder to be the problem. Pulled the plug and had fire. In fact when testing for fire the sled caught fire from gas coming out of the cylinder. got the fire out quickly with no damage. Put the plug back in and still running like crap. I think it may be dirt in the carb allowing too much fuel into the cylinder and flooding it. Any know what the problem could be? After turning the sled off it's really hard to get going and blue grey smoke comes out of the exhaust.

Usually when I disconnect the coolant lines I put a bolt in each of the lines to close them off. Just put in a large enough bolt so the rubber line slightly stretches so it makes a good seal. I guess you could pinch the line or put a vice grip on it or something but I would worry about warping the line and it not being completely round and forming a good seal when you put it back together and possibly leaking. Again, this could just be me being overcautious as others may do/have done that and been fine. Just make sure you keep good track (or better yet, snap a few digital pics) of which lines go where.

Maybe somebody else will chime in with some more useful info on doing the job on a 4 stroke?

--Steve (O.C.)

PS. I dont think standard golf tees will be large enough to plug up the lines.

Hi Rik,

Happy New Year 2008.

Holy crap, the same thing happen to my brother's Nytro 2007 (we have 3 of 'em). And the same cylinder. That is 3-4 days ago.

We brought the sled to our dealer in Maniwaki. They cleaned the carbs and the sled works great now.

I did the same thing last spring by running fuel stabil and emptying the carbs.

Send me a pm, I'd like to know your suspension setup (front and rear).
Thx
Guy

I am going to let you guys in a secret that I should have posted on here a long time ago. There is a product out there that absolutely blows everything else away. Seafoam is not even in the same league. It is called Schaeffer's Neutra fuel stabilizer #131. The first year our Vipers were new ,we had Seafoam in the tank and the pilots plugged up. We start our sleds once a month and let them get fully up to temp. This has always worked for years, but today's gasoline just doesn't stay fresh very long. We ended up cleaning the carbs of course. A farmer that rents our land told us of this product. They use it in their combines being they are only used in the fall of the year and sit around more so than not. We have never had to clean our Viper carbs since. My uncle bought a new Vector GT late last winter. He was doing the same as us by starting it once a month. By June or July the carbs were gummed up. We gave him some of this to add to his fuel. We shook it up good and let it run......it spit and popped like crazy that first time he started it. We told him to let it sit then over night so it could do it's job being the Neuta was now in his carbs. The next day he started it again and it let out a good puff of smoke, sputtered only for about 30-40 seconds and cleared right up. He never had to clean the carbs. I know the dealer warned him that Vectors are notorious for plugging the pilots if the fuel gets old and he was right. The biggest problem is finding the stuff. It is mostly sold by distributors only. They stop door to door at farm accounts and fix it shops. You can do a search on their website for a dealer in your area. I get mine through my Dad from the main district rep in southern MN out of Mankato. They did sell it in some Champion auto stores too. Here is the web link:
http://www.schaefferoil.com/neutra_fuel_stabilizer.html

PS: I have a Echo weed whip that is 15 years old. It was running awful and I was thinking of rebuilding the carb or just tossing it. I put a shot of Neutra in the tank and low and behold it runs like brand new again. I have got all the guys at work using it. They now all swear by it. One guys riding lawn mower started running better. Another guys tractor ran much better. Another guy used it on his Waverunner and said it runs like new again. The stuff sells itself. ;)!

Well the dealer found the problem. When I put the battery back in Iguess it was sitting on the vent line for the mag side carb pinching it and this was causing the flooding issue. Seems to be running fine now according to the dealer.

Guy, Happy New year to you too and all the best in 2008. I`m pm`ìng ya right now.

Good to hear rik. The Neutra #131 does work great though. I just wish it was easier to find.

Back