• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2007 Phazer Won't Rev

sasquatch53

Country
Canada
Snowmobile
2007 Yamaha Phazer x 2, 1989 Yamaha Bravo x 2, 2020 Polaris Switchback 800 XCR
Just purchased at 2007 Phazer with 3000kms. It has clearly spent some time sitting around. Hard to start but once running it performeed well when I drove it the first time at home. Not sure how old the fuel is so topped it up with premium and a can of seafoam. Ran fine after that as well. Next ride I took it out and it revs up super slowly and won't go past ~7600rpm. On the stand it will wind right out. Clutches seem to operate properly when on the stand. I swapped out each clutch separently with others that are known to work well. I also found the belt and chaincase to be a bit tight so set them up properly. Nothing seems to improve the issue. Help!

have you tried with tors bypassed?

Anything flashing on the gauge pod? Is it properly in forward gear? Try shifting it in and out of reverse. If it's not engaged properly with the F or R light flashing, the RPM is limited.

Anything flashing on the gauge pod? Is it properly in forward gear? Try shifting it in and out of reverse. If it's not engaged properly with the F or R light flashing, the RPM is limited.
No errors on the screen. Pretty sure it’s in gear completely. Solid green when forward and solid yellow in reverse. It’ll rev to the max on the stand so I don’t think it’s an electronic issue. Had it on and off telle stand a bunch of times. Up and down the road a bunch of times, driving me crazy!!

Change the plugs. A fouled plug will fail under load. Thats why it runs good on stand. No Load.
On the Phazer will a fouled plug cause a check engine light due to a misfire? Curious as I've never fouled one... yet.

I kinda wonder if there's a mouse nest or something plugging up the air box causing a restriction to air flow.

On the Phazer will a fouled plug cause a check engine light due to a misfire? Curious as I've never fouled one... yet.

I kinda wonder if there's a mouse nest or something plugging up the air box causing a restriction to air flow.
No.

Checked that airbox, all clear. Cleaned the filter. No change.

I know when my coil went it took a long time to throw a code. Try disconnecting the plug at each coil while riding it. and its doing it. If one makes it worse and other no change the one with no change is the issue. (I see you swapped clutches already so not that)

on the 09 my brother now has, we had what i thought was a bad coil, po had put a vector coil in it, so we tried it with 2 new yamaha coils. was fine for a bit but started acting up again. brother had fixed the plug for one coil as it fell off when he was replacing the coils. checked it again and the wire was only hanging on by 1 strand inside the coil plug. plugs are same as apex for coils so got 2 and a complete harness from barn of parts. put the new plugs onto the coils and left slack in wiring as it was very tight from factory. been working good for the last 3 seasons.

Does the engine seem like its running properly up to that RPM?
There was a thread where cannondale and I were helping someone with a similar issue. The last thing suggested was the cam sensor, but then we never heard back.

I'm having the same problem, zips up to 8000 rpm. Did you find the answer?

Back