• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2007 rtx or 2013 apex NON Se

Heres a vid of my 06 RTX walking... everything haha including a '12 etec 800. I love this sled, wouldnt trade it for anything

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM544R6-Uyc

Honestly though I wouldnt Pay 7500 for a 07... I bought mine used with only 3k for 4400 bucks. Used I know but still 7k is a lot for a 5 year old left over.

I love my 07 RTX and would not trade it for any new sled. That being said, the stock rear skid valving was far fram yamaha's best effort. If you plan on riding any moguls hard I'd factor the cost of a re-valve or a new rear skid into the purchase price. Styling wise, though youthful, I personally think it was one of the nicest offerings to come out of the Yamaha plant. It took me a while to tweak it and get the handling to a place that I am happy with. I, myself prefer the low gearing as I do most of my riding between 25 and 60ish. That being said, I've ridden the sled hard in many conditions, ranging from Tug Hill moguls, to Northern Maine's wide, pool-table flat trails where you can ride as fast as your line of sight allows you to. The only time I've felt like the sled may have stopped accelerating a bit was on a wide railroad bed in Maine. The throttle was to the bar for a significant amount of time for that to happen, and quite frankly I don't know if I need to go faster than that. Keep in mind, despite gearing, less hp than the 13, and all, the 07 is still 3.67lbs/hp. In comparison, a corvette zr1 is 5.40 lbs/hp. In my opinion and experience I'd say the track is more of the limiting factor than anything. The only time I can get my sled to really hook up under 50mph at WOT is when the trails are a really firm hardpack (15 degrees f or less). Otherwise I'm spinning even if I adjust the coupling for full weight transfer and stand off the back. When it does hook up it will pull the skis way off the ground. I am convinced that it is still one of the fastest sleds out there. I've chased down many different models and have never been passed. One day on flat, moderately winding corridor I had an RT chassis mach Z yield to me because I was hanging right with him.

Here is a video that gives an idea of what it is like to ride an 07 rtx:
[video width=600 height=400]http://www.youtube.com/v/cSaviMHapgI[/video]

Because people say you can't ride one in powder:
[video width=600 height=400]http://www.youtube.com/v/ti42WjbKcPs[/video]

My plan of action would be as follows (if you must buy new, otherwise I'd get a used apex and save some coin):

1) If you plan on keeping the sled for a short period of time buy the 13-it will be more sorted out of the box and depreciation might hurt less.

2) If you plan on owning the sled for a long time I would buy the RTX and then throw some of your savings into mods. I would throw on a 136 zx2 with a cobra track and studs (I did a hygear re-valve and am very happy but I would have gone 136 if I had the cash), different skis (I'm still running stock), an HID kit (love mine), a bulkhead saver kit (the bulkhead is the only thing I've broken on mine), and possibly a different riser (I put an adjustable rox riser on because I switch between sitting and standing a lot).

It's amazing that what is nearly a 7 year old sled can still be this competitive and modern. Mine has actually appreciated since I bought it.
2012-12-26%2013.32.14.jpg

Thanks and congrats on your purchase! I'm sure you'll love it. The 128 track length will be a large advantage over the 07's 121.
Feel free to post any questions about mods, suspension adjustments, etc on here. Everyone is highly helpful and knowledgeable.

Ok thanks heading out to ride! Do u think I should stud
The sled for Canada ? If so how many? I called a shop they
Recommend 153 down middle 3 in each row. ??

My guess is you'll be able to figure out whether or not you think you need studs. I'd say it's pretty subjective. I do most of my riding in Vermont and studs are really nice for steep, icy hills, especially when trying to stop. With Canadian hardpack you might be able to get away without them. Most guys like studs on the Apex. However, they'll only help in really firm hardpack and ice. In slushy snow or powder I don't think they surve much of a function. My sled has 144 up the middle (probably equivalent to 153 on a 128 skid). I bought my sled used and it was already studded when I purchased it. Mine has woody's studs (not sure the particular model), and I've bent most of them and broken a few. If I were studding a new sled I'd put these on: http://www.carbidetractionproducts.com/ ... 2&Itemid=9 simply because of the break/bend warranty. A lot of the magazines have said they are fantastic although I usually take their advice with a grain of salt.

Be sure to let us know how you like the sled when you get back from the ride!

Re: 06 RTX

Panterawill said:
Hey Force4000.Nice run What gearing do you have?

Honestly I dont know, When I bought this sled I was told it was stock but I dont believe this to be true. My speedo has hit 119 before but I didnt have a GPS with me so I cant say if that's accurate or not. The sled also came with a bag of springs so maby something in the clutch was adjusted? Any ideas to how I can tell if its been modified?

If you want top end 3 stud per row is too much, stick with 2 per row?!! Plus the 128 have VERY little clearance for the exup and studs

Awesome sled! Just 50 miles pretty easy kept rpms between
4-7 for 30 miles and a couple short
Burst over 7k for a second or two. Wow
This thing is quick. So it hooks up good on
Hard pack groomed snow (no ice). Handles real well.
Did notice some (darting) but unsure if its
The conditions of the groom from other
Sleds. Last 10 miles was running with etecs
In curves which are studded with 96 studs
And 6" carbide. So I think my apex did well.
Ride is good over some o the bumps
At age 54 don't like bumps but take the good
With bad. Down low this thing is strong.
Anyone have a suggestion on (break in)? I have
Broken in sport bikes all my life by moto
Man way. Unsure about this sled since always had
Two strokers! Ride again tomorrow hoping to do
150mi. Going to be 10 deg. In morning. Thanks for
All help.

Back