• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2008 Manitoba TY Ride?

Guy's I have never ridden in Canada, :o| what are the additional expenses as compared to the Michigan ride.

An extra couple of hours driving doesn't bother me. ;)!

Are gas prices similar, Hotels?

What about trail permits? crossing border with sleds and trailers, any issues ?

Heck the more I think about it I have been to Michigan many times and Never to Canada - so I think that is a big plus. :ORC

Sorry for the ?'s this is new to me.

thanks

Yamadoo

The ride is based out of Beausejour, which is an 8 hour drive from Mpls or about the same to Houghton MI. Hotel price is about $75 US dollars per night. Petrol is more expensive than America, but no big deal. A week long permit will cost you about $70 Canadian, which is a little less in US Dollars.

Crossing the border is no big deal provided you have proof the sled belongs to you, proof of insurance, and you don't have any felony convictions or a DUI. They have not asked for this information at the border crossing but an officer on a sled did ask for proof of insurance. You will need a U.S. Passport for entry back into the U.S.

So no big deal until you ride the trails. They are way better than Michigan!. There is a massive trail network with very little traffic. I rode 300 miles one day in perfect conditions and we never saw another sled. Two years ago, Implapower and I rode 1600 miles in 7 days and probably saw about 4 bumps, no kidding. ;)!

And then of course there is the planning that SRXTwins does for this trip. Last year he groomed some the trails himself. Prior years he arranged for the local clubs to groom the trails we were going to ride the following day. His buddy Gary or BountyHunter ride in the back to make sure nobody gets lost. It is fabulous time and you won't regret the experience.

WOW Thanks for the info. Sounds like heaven on earth.

Sounds great, I am ready to sign up and will keep tabs on the planning.

Yamadoo

I know some of you guys are in winnipeg, which is only about 5.5 hours from Atikokan Ont, so i thought i'd throw this out there. What about 500 miles loup, half in Canada and half in the US. I live in Atikokan Ontario (North-east Ontario), about 2 hours west of thunder bay, 5.5 hours east of Winnipeg, 4 hours North of Duluth, and about 12 hours north of Chicago. Check it out. We got lots of nice trails around here, plus lots of lakes too hit also if you feel like going as fast as you want. But the trails have very little traffic. I'm not sure where all you guys are located, so it might be to far for you. Here check out the info on the loop....

http://www.atikokansnoho.com/index_files/Page394.htm

If you want to see some videos about the tour, go to youtube.com and type in "Atikokan Sno-Ho". You will see 4 videos that come up, watch all four. Its Part 1, Part 2, Part 3 and Part 4. This tour was featured on Snowmobiler TV.

P.S. The conditions might not look good in some parts of the video becasue it was taken toward the end of the season.

Apex18 said:
I know some of you guys are in winnipeg, which is only about 5.5 hours from Atikokan Ont, so i thought i'd throw this out there. What about 500 miles loup, half in Canada and half in the US.

Not to be funny but it wouldn't be a Manitoba ride then would it! It would be a Ont-merica ride no? Or maybe a Unitario ride? But if your trying to start a Atikokan ride then that would be anouther thread!

Sno Ho does a great job of promoting and has a hard working club. If you want to start a ride, start anouther thread and work out the details and dates so they do not colide with what everyone else is doing. Maybe some would show interest, I know that as an executive member of the DPTC I would be interested, even more so if I can get the trail from Dryden to Ignace open.

Well I'm in, Convert is in, I'm sure lots of the Manitoban riders are in. Brian said he would guide us around. So are you in?

I bought an enclosed trailer just to sled Manitoba! Well and to haul all my stuff west if the mill goes down but I'm counting on riding Manitoba. See you all there!

The ride is definately on. the official dates are Feb 21st to Feb 23rd. However some of us may start a bit sooner so don't be shy, As usual I will have permits in my possesion for those who will need them. I have not yet got the official word on pricing yet but I am told they will be the same price as last year.

srxtwins said:
The ride is definately on. the official dates are Feb 21st to Feb 23rd. However some of us may start a bit sooner so don't be shy, As usual I will have permits in my possesion for those who will need them. I have not yet got the official word on pricing yet but I am told they will be the same price as last year.

Brian, I know you said earlier that you had a lot on your plate for this year and weren't sure if you'd be able to put the same effort in as previous years. if there is anything I can do to take some of the load off, please let me know. I don't have this winter's race schedule yet, but I'd really like to make the ride this year. In any event, I'm more than happy to help out with the prep. Let me know what I can do.

Every year I try to come out and it never works out. I think I'm going to come at least one day this year even if I have to miss work.

Winnipegger Here

Hi all, I have used the Ty site for a while and although I don't post much, I read everything. It is a invaluable resource. I would love to hook up with you for at least part of the trip. I have a cottage at Lac du Bonnet / Lee River, and I know the area well.

Most of my riding is / LDB / Beausejour /Pinnawa /Falcon /West hawk / Bird River / Werner lake / Pine Falls / Seven Sisters.

It would be great to meet you and show you some real neat spots.

Paul.

I'd go for a ride this year, maybe I can get acouple guy's from Thompson to go!!!!

lakercr said:
srxtwins said:

Brian, I know you said earlier that you had a lot on your plate for this year and weren't sure if you'd be able to put the same effort in as previous years. if there is anything I can do to take some of the load off, please let me know. I don't have this winter's race schedule yet, but I'd really like to make the ride this year. In any event, I'm more than happy to help out with the prep. Let me know what I can do.

Likewise Brian. I will try and make all three days. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help.

Back