• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2008 Phazer RTX... OR.... 2008 Rev XP TNT?

Chris K said:
Well, I had a dealer quote me $8750 CDN (+tax) OTD today on the RTX.
Not bad, but I think they may be able to sharpen the pen a little more. However, the local Doo dealer won't budge yet on the TNT, still around $10K. Makes my decision slightly easier.

Don't get me wrong, I think the TNT is probably worth a little more, but add everything together, like the cost of 2 stroke oil etc., and I can't justify the extra cost considering the similarity in fun factor.

You will save some money and smell alot better

Chris,
Just ask Jonny Skeptical, 2stroke oil's gonna cost you thousands of dollars!
:ORC

Chris K said:
Don't get me wrong, I think the TNT is probably worth a little more, but add everything together, like the cost of 2 stroke oil etc., and I can't justify the extra cost considering the similarity in fun factor.

TNT without a doubt. I have three brands of newer sleds in my garage and the phazer is my least favorite. It is a neat kids or beginners sled but even with all of the setup hours I have into it I don't consider it a real snowmobile. The XP will kick the snot out of it handling wise. After a thousand miles it will be going down the road. Poor suspension, poor handling, hyfax wear issues, broke my rear suspension, clutching not very good, suspension valving and spring rates way off. Center of gravity way too high. Convoluted steering system with too many parts and lots of slop it. Icing issues. Cool sled in a lot of ways but not very well thought out. And yes I put the freeride track on it, changed the skis, and played with suspension adjustments until I was blue in the face. It does have a few redeeming qualities but there are much better choices out there for the $$$$. My last Yamaha was in 1982, and I think this will be my last for another 20+ years.
Hoov

the tnt looks like a fun machine and light with more power but i still think that four stroke benefits outshine 2 strokes,i have over 3500 km on my phazer and except for icing of tunnel wich can be fixed,i did not have one issue with mine,all wheels held up,sliders are still good,no oil burning and awesome on gas,got consistantly 23 mpg trail riding at 100-110 km,ph,i weigh 225 and suspension is just fine,nothin broke yet and i only have the gt with softer shocks,phazer all the way imo but ;)! for the tnt for being so light

Tough call, but I can definitely tell you that the Phazer can hang with anything in the tight and twisty trails, it even holds it's own half decent on the straights, and especially if it had the 1.5" track. I ride my gf's FX from time to time, and I'll tell ya, I can't stop giggling inside my helmet everytime I hit the flipper ! For a little 500, this sled hauls really good, I can just imagine how well it would be with the Freeride track. In the air, it's easy to flick around, and the suspension eats the BIG bumps and BIG landings with ease ! I'd go with the Phazer RTX for the better suspension and 4 stroke torque and reliability !

Here's a few recent shots, some on April 6th !!!

Attachments

• Copy (3) of Whippin out the Phazer FX April 6th 2007.JPG
    Copy (3) of Whippin out the Phazer FX April 6th 2007.JPG
    69.1 KB · Views: 89
  • Phazer FX in the Highlands at Wildcat Rd April 6th 2007.jpg
    Phazer FX in the Highlands at Wildcat Rd April 6th 2007.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 89
  • CBPhazer @ Highlands Jan 28th 2007 (7).jpg
    CBPhazer @ Highlands Jan 28th 2007 (7).jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 78
I would go with the TNT,a lot lighter and 108 hp compared to 80hp, and close price at least for me in Michigan. I have rode both and liked the Rev-xp a lot better,and so did my wife and that is why after riding yamahas for 13 years I ordered my first Doo,we went with the 08 Rev-xp MXZ Adrenaline 600 sdi over the TNT, I.M.O. A lot more sled for $500 more. I still love Yamaha and will always have at least one of them around!!

hoov165x said:
TNT without a doubt. I have three brands of newer sleds in my garage and the phazer is my least favorite. It is a neat kids or beginners sled but even with all of the setup hours I have into it I don't consider it a real snowmobile. The XP will kick the snot out of it handling wise. After a thousand miles it will be going down the road. Poor suspension, poor handling, hyfax wear issues, broke my rear suspension, clutching not very good, suspension valving and spring rates way off. Center of gravity way too high. Convoluted steering system with too many parts and lots of slop it. Icing issues. Cool sled in a lot of ways but not very well thought out. And yes I put the freeride track on it, changed the skis, and played with suspension adjustments until I was blue in the face. It does have a few redeeming qualities but there are much better choices out there for the $$$$. My last Yamaha was in 1982, and I think this will be my last for another 20+ years.
Hoov

I have to agree with this 100%. This is the phazer in a nutshell...

I might be a little late to reply here but here's my $.02!

To compare the Phazer and the T'NT is grossly unfair if you are an agressive rider! You are giving up almost 30hp (25%) and adding at least 60 lbs (28%) comparing these two sleds. NOT FAIR! Yes BOTH can be improved on from stock. Yes the 4 stroke 'should' last longer but as someone else hit on that doo engine (600 non HO) is the best (or at least one of them) engine doo has ever made. Realiability of the chassis may be a concern, but when riden hard the Phazer has received it's own share of 'black eyes' as a first year model last year. In a drag race... well it's true that's why we line them up as any sled CAN win on any given day, but.... I would bet WAY more 600 SDI (which has to work to beat the 500SS with the same engine as the T'NT) beat phasers when they lined up next to each other this past season.
Now please I'm NOT bashing the Phazer as its a good sled for what it is! But a giant killer it's not! (nor is it a large man killer! lol)

One needs to know more about who, how, where, how many miles, etc you ride to make an educated opinion as which sled would be best.
My wife will be on a T'NT next year as I felt it fit her better; Fairly agressive, < 105 lbs, 13+ years of riding experience and puts on about 1000 miles a year. We don't EVER ride groomed trails
Now if you were comparing the Phazer to a 550 Fan I would have a different opinion, but they are closer in comparison between two sleds.
Good Luck!

I had a dealer call me with someone who traded in a 07 Phazer Fx for the new Nytro. They traded it in with only 323 miles on the sled. Now I had kind of been contiplating (SP?) on snowchecking one of those tnt's(am I losing my mind?) But, we are talking snowchecking a sled for seven grand compared to the Phazer FX for fourty five hundred that is basically just broke in. What am I not seeing? Should that even really be a choice! :o| :o|

I picked up new fx yesterday and rode 80 miles on it, what got me was the price dealers are having to lose money.its hard to spring order when there so many deals around, I also looked at a used one for 4500 with 700 miles, but when I got there you could tell it was rode hard, not that would hurt , but I like new looking stuff, if that used one is in good shape buy it, if you dont like it in the winter you could get your money.

Back