• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2008 Phazer RTX... OR.... 2008 Rev XP TNT?

08NitroRTX said:
I might be a little late to reply here but here's my $.02!

To compare the Phazer and the T'NT is grossly unfair if you are an agressive rider! You are giving up almost 30hp (25%) and adding at least 60 lbs (28%) comparing these two sleds. NOT FAIR! Yes BOTH can be improved on from stock. Yes the 4 stroke 'should' last longer but as someone else hit on that doo engine (600 non HO) is the best (or at least one of them) engine doo has ever made. Realiability of the chassis may be a concern, but when riden hard the Phazer has received it's own share of 'black eyes' as a first year model last year. In a drag race... well it's true that's why we line them up as any sled CAN win on any given day, but.... I would bet WAY more 600 SDI (which has to work to beat the 500SS with the same engine as the T'NT) beat phasers when they lined up next to each other this past season.
Now please I'm NOT bashing the Phazer as its a good sled for what it is! But a giant killer it's not! (nor is it a large man killer! lol)

One needs to know more about who, how, where, how many miles, etc you ride to make an educated opinion as which sled would be best.
My wife will be on a T'NT next year as I felt it fit her better; Fairly agressive, < 105 lbs, 13+ years of riding experience and puts on about 1000 miles a year. We don't EVER ride groomed trails
Now if you were comparing the Phazer to a 550 Fan I would have a different opinion, but they are closer in comparison between two sleds.
Good Luck!

Thanks for your opinion 08NitroRTX, I appreciate it.

Everyone that posted after you, please use your PMs to chat.

It's getting very close to crunch time, I've got 3 days to make my decision.

2008 Yamaha Phazer RTX - $8743 (+ tax) CDN, 3 year warranty included, zero Yamabucks remaining.

2008 Skidoo Rev XP TNT - $9500 (+ tax), plus a free case of synthetic oil (enough to last a season), 2 year warranty, and $350 in accessories (or electric start if I prefer).

The TNT is sure looking good to me now. I must say, the prices are close enough that I think I should just go with the better sled. I haven't heard anybody disagree with TNT's dominance over the Phazer, other than the 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke debate.

I haven't posted this on Dootalk because I feel Yamaha guys are more open-minded than Skidoo guys when it comes to comparing other models - Cat guys being the most brand loyal of course. In other words, I don't feel like the Phazer would get proper representation over at Dootalk.

I do recognize that the XP chassis hasn't even reached production yet, so the TNT isn't getting proper representation either. However, nobody can argue with the fact that this WILL be a fun sled. I think the only thing going against it is the 2 stroke (soon to be outlawed if Mr. Gore has his way) technology. That said, call me a flake, but I'm starting to lean away from the blue, that sucks. I so like the color blue :yam:

Buy what you feel most comfortable with. The Phazer is a very fun machine, even for those who've come off of large cc machines. For general trail riding it can be as fast as just about any machine out there. If you ride long straights then it's not the sled for you. In the fields and busting drifts it's an absolute blast.

Chris K said:
08NitroRTX said:
I might be a little late to reply here but here's my $.02!

To compare the Phazer and the T'NT is grossly unfair if you are an agressive rider! You are giving up almost 30hp (25%) and adding at least 60 lbs (28%) comparing these two sleds. NOT FAIR! Yes BOTH can be improved on from stock. Yes the 4 stroke 'should' last longer but as someone else hit on that doo engine (600 non HO) is the best (or at least one of them) engine doo has ever made. Realiability of the chassis may be a concern, but when riden hard the Phazer has received it's own share of 'black eyes' as a first year model last year. In a drag race... well it's true that's why we line them up as any sled CAN win on any given day, but.... I would bet WAY more 600 SDI (which has to work to beat the 500SS with the same engine as the T'NT) beat phasers when they lined up next to each other this past season.
Now please I'm NOT bashing the Phazer as its a good sled for what it is! But a giant killer it's not! (nor is it a large man killer! lol)

One needs to know more about who, how, where, how many miles, etc you ride to make an educated opinion as which sled would be best.
My wife will be on a T'NT next year as I felt it fit her better; Fairly agressive, < 105 lbs, 13+ years of riding experience and puts on about 1000 miles a year. We don't EVER ride groomed trails
Now if you were comparing the Phazer to a 550 Fan I would have a different opinion, but they are closer in comparison between two sleds.
Good Luck!

Thanks for your opinion 08NitroRTX, I appreciate it.

Everyone that posted after you, please use your PMs to chat.

It's getting very close to crunch time, I've got 3 days to make my decision.

2008 Yamaha Phazer RTX - $8743 (+ tax) CDN, 3 year warranty included, zero Yamabucks remaining.

2008 Skidoo Rev XP TNT - $9500 (+ tax), plus a free case of synthetic oil (enough to last a season), 2 year warranty, and $350 in accessories (or electric start if I prefer).

The TNT is sure looking good to me now. I must say, the prices are close enough that I think I should just go with the better sled. I haven't heard anybody disagree with TNT's dominance over the Phazer, other than the 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke debate.

I haven't posted this on Dootalk because I feel Yamaha guys are more open-minded than Skidoo guys when it comes to comparing other models - Cat guys being the most brand loyal of course. In other words, I don't feel like the Phazer would get proper representation over at Dootalk.

I do recognize that the XP chassis hasn't even reached production yet, so the TNT isn't getting proper representation either. However, nobody can argue with the fact that this WILL be a fun sled. I think the only thing going against it is the 2 stroke (soon to be outlawed if Mr. Gore has his way) technology. That said, call me a flake, but I'm starting to lean away from the blue, that sucks. I so like the color blue :yam:

Chris,

Whatever sled you decide on, you'll be getting a great sled ! I've got a Doo and a Yamaha in my garage, and I enjoy both of them very much. However, knowing what I know about the Phazer is why I would go that way, even though it has less power on paper, it really feels like more than 80 hp, and with the addition of the 1.5" Freeride track, there's nowhere this sled couldn't go compared to the TNT, not to mention the much better shocks on the Phazer FX and the unbelieveable fuel mileage. Monday past, my gf and I went sledding; 155 km's later, I have quarter tank left from 40 L, and she has half a tank left from 28 L, now that's impressive ! Nonetheless, whichever way you go, Best of Luck with your new sled !

If I were on the fence, this website alone would be enough to push me to the blue side. I truly appreciate the support either way, it's a big decision for me... my first new sled!!! Hopefully, I will still be welcome here if I go to the yellow side. At the very least I may just start a log, with pictures etc. (like Yellowknife, but maybe not near as detailed) so Yamaha guys can see what the TNT is like.

I will let you all know my decision right after I put the deposit down.

Yamaha's spring incentive ends Apr. 15, Skidoo on the 22nd.

Chris,
good luck with whatever you decide..I also own a Doo, so if you go yellow, your still ok with me!
:yam:

WINNER: 2008 YAMAHA PHAZER RTX!!! Blue of course.

Common sense prevails! I just couldn't neglect the 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke debate. Plus fuel injection vs. carburator. And Yamaha's track record. The unfortunate thing is that I had to go out of town to make the purchase. The salesmen at our local Yamaha store (Proline in Saskatoon)are not friendly nor are they willing to give you the time of day. I ended up going 90 miles north where the salesman was friendly and professional, and I don't think I will regret it.

Question: does anybody with a 2007 FX want to trade their black side panels for my grey ones?
Didn't think so.

I am so giddy right now... this is the first time I've ever looked at spring in comtempt, lol! Bring on the snow!!!!

Chris K said:
WINNER: 2008 YAMAHA PHAZER RTX!!! Blue of course.

Common sense prevails! I just couldn't neglect the 2 stroke vs. 4 stroke debate. Plus fuel injection vs. carburator. And Yamaha's track record. The unfortunate thing is that I had to go out of town to make the purchase. The salesmen at our local Yamaha store (Proline in Saskatoon)are not friendly nor are they willing to give you the time of day. I ended up going 90 miles north where the salesman was friendly and professional, and I don't think I will regret it.

Question: does anybody with a 2007 FX want to trade their black side panels for my grey ones?
Didn't think so.

I am so giddy right now... this is the first time I've ever looked at spring in comtempt, lol! Bring on the snow!!!!

I think you will be happy , down here in new york we are riding the 07 left overs

:jump:

Attachments

• DSCN1499.JPG
    DSCN1499.JPG
    109.6 KB · Views: 87
haha, not like I've never heard that before, I also sold many sleds to people from saskatoon for the same reason you stated above. Congrats on the purchase, you picked a great sled, even though there were not a lot of changes the RTX handles night and day alot better than the FX Phazer.

Yami450D said:
haha, not like I've never heard that before, I also sold many sleds to people from saskatoon for the same reason you stated above. Congrats on the purchase, you picked a great sled, even though there were not a lot of changes the RTX handles night and day alot better than the FX Phazer.

Yeah, I'm in sales so I know when a salesman genuinely enjoys his job. Those guys do not. I walked into the showroom to see two salesmen standing around smuggling thumbs. They just stood there ignoring me like a couple of idiots - which would have been fine when I was 15 and poor, but I've more than doubled that now (age and wealth, lol). Then the salesman who was 'unfortunate' enough to have to deal with me treated me like I was covered in dog #*$&@ and wanted a hug. :o| (BTW the last sentence was edited, I really don't say 'poop') If I can help it, I will avoid them for service work and parts as well.

Tell me more about the RTX handling... I haven't actually riden an RTX yet.

Yami450D said:

I would beg to differ with that statement. How do you figure? How many miles you put on the RTX? I just dont think there is as much difference as you are trying to portray. Just wouldnt want people to make the decision based on your remarks as most people would not be able to tell the difference whatsoever!(between the o7 and 08 yammy)

Back