• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2008 starts when warm and not outside in cold. odd issue? computer experts?

mechanictx

Country
Sweden
Snowmobile
2008 yamaha nytro mtx
hello all, new here and hoping for some help.

I have a recently purchased 2008 nytro mtx. I bought it in July and I live in the arctic of Sweden. I was newb to snowmobiles and just left it there with half tank till November. It started fine. drove it once or twice on some tracks for 20 min. brought it home one day and have been having starting problems ever since. I replaced all three relays with red solid-state relays and replaced the solenoid and plug with the new updated one. It now kicks over the starter outside:) but won't turn the engine over. if I pull it inside and wait about 20 mins it will start again in the garage (much cleaner idle than before). I have tried the following:

changing gas by emptying the fuel line and siphoning gas out of the tank. checked the fuel pump and it's working. I hear it kick on in the cold when it won't turn over. the starter just runs and runs.

I tried using a black jumper cable from my negative to my engine to see if the ground wasn't working....didn't help

I got a new battery from Yamaha early on and I'm sure it's fully charged for every troubleshooting.

I figure I must have a short somewhere.....I just don't know where to look based on my symptoms. I've heard the throttle body can have a problem with the temperature sensor. could my engine not be reading the temperature outside? we hang around 20 to -20 up here.

thank you so much for yalls help. hoping to get this thing running like a tank that always starts

So do you have two issues? It doesn't crank when it's cold? It's probably the starter solenoid (aka: relay). When it refuses to crank, try to repeatedly turn the key to crank and sometimes it will work. It will need to be replaced. Only get a Yamaha part as the aftermarket ones tend to stick on and burn out the starter (ask me how I know).

Next thing to figure out when it cranks but doesn't start is what is missing? fuel or spark. Quick way to check is to spray starting fluid into the throttles and try to start it. If it starts, it's missing fuel. If it doesn't, it's missing spark.

hej Mooseman,

the solenoid is brand new Yamaha and so are the 3 relays I changed to RED relays.

i asked Yamaha if i should change the plugs or coils and they said that because it starts indoors and not outside after being left out for only 30 min or so in the cold that it wasn't worth it...because something else must be wrong.

If I am to understand your first post correctly, you claim the starter is spinning, but the engine isn't...?
If that's the case, you'll need to pull the flywheel and check out the one way clutch on the back of the flywheel.

If I am to understand your first post correctly, you claim the starter is spinning, but the engine isn't...?
If that's the case, you'll need to pull the flywheel and check out the one way clutch on the back of the flywheel.
if there was a problem with that, it would also not start in warm though right? it starts and runs just fine in the warm garage. I only hear the starter running when I take it outside. It's only outside that I'm having an issue sadly

I only hear the starter running when I take it outside.
When you say "starter running", you mean it cranks or turns the engine but it doesn't start?

In that case, I would still try spraying some starter fluid or fuel into the throttles to see if it's a fuel or spark issue. Go from the results.

i took it to yamaha a while back and will try this when get i back if they don't fix it. they said it had a code 12 and replaced the crank sensor....but this sounded odd to me.

It will throw a crank sensor code when it doesn't crank. It's normal. The ECU thinks it should be cranking and if it's not getting a crankshaft signal, it thinks the sensor is bad.

Back