• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

start problems in cold not relays

nickg

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 yamaha viper sr ltx dx
my 2015 viper ltx will not start when it's 0f out. I have a new battery,sealed relays, and new gas. got a flash a few years back which i assume is the most recent. never had a problem in the year prior starting. I'm about ready to get rid of it. nothing more frustrating when everyone else's sled starts and u have to disassemble and jump box it. once it starts for the day it runs and starts fine the rest of the day. what do I do now?

Buy a 2 stroke. I got tired of all of the cold/hot start, backfire quirks with my ZR7000. My wife decided that she no longer wants to sled so I kept her ZR6000 for me and sold the 7000.
My last sled trip it was -35 and the 6000 fired right up

How many miles on your Viper? I had a 2016 with less than 7,000 miles on it, and it would not start in the cold. As you say, once it got going, it was fine for the day. I am no mechanic, so the work was done at my dealer, and it took a couple of trips for them to conclude that the valves needed adjusting. Once they did that, the cold start problem was gone. It may not be your issue, and 7,000 miles is well under the amount of mileage expected before adjustment is needed, but it fixed mine.

How many miles on your Viper? I had a 2016 with less than 7,000 miles on it, and it would not start in the cold. As you say, once it got going, it was fine for the day. I am no mechanic, so the work was done at my dealer, and it took a couple of trips for them to conclude that the valves needed adjusting. Once they did that, the cold start problem was gone. It may not be your issue, and 7,000 miles is well under the amount of mileage expected before adjustment is needed, but it fixed mine.

I suppose that it is an unlikely cause of your issue then. I have had 4 Vipers in the past, a 14, 15 & two 16's; the only one that had an issue with cold starts was one of the 16's, with the valves out of adjustment. New plugs might help? If you start your sled up and don't let it fully warm up, it tends to foul the plugs, and make starting harder. Good luck, and I hope you solve your issue.

I suppose that it is an unlikely cause of your issue then. I have had 4 Vipers in the past, a 14, 15 & two 16's; the only one that had an issue with cold starts was one of the 16's, with the valves out of adjustment. New plugs might help? If you start your sled up and don't let it fully warm up, it tends to foul the plugs, and make starting harder. Good luck, and I hope you solve your issue.
I also did new plugs since I had it apart to do oil and chaincase. always let it warm up properly when I can get it started I let it cycle twice before turning the key. it's like it turns over slow. with everything new I'm out of ideas. is there a high speed starter?

I melted a starter with a stuck solenoid. I could only get an after market one and I will say, it does spin faster than the OEM. Just my two cents.

I know you said your battery was new, but stranger things have happened than a bad battery. It takes a lot to crank these over when they are cold. Do you have a battery pack to boost your battery and see whether turning it over more quickly solves the problem? When my 2016 would not start in the cold, the battery was fine and turned it over normally; it just wouldn't start. When it has been cold and my sled turns over slowly and won't start, usually it only takes a boost to get it going. If it starts right up with a boost, it may be your battery, or some wiring issue.

We have two Vipers, a '15 & '16 and have never had any issues with starting in cold weather. One of our snowmobiling buddies just bought a used '16 with 7400 miles on it. Last weekend we had all three sleds outside and his wouldn't start. We pulled it into the heated garage and after about an hour it finally started. To the point of this post.
When we first tried to start it, we turned the key on until the dash lit up but, it would just crank and crank. We noticed the fuel pump didn't start until after it warmed up in the garage.
I'm not sure what would cause the fuel pump to not turn on but as I said it is starting normally now and hasn't been out in the cold since Saturday.

my sled seems like it turns over slower than it use to. I uave new relays on order going to try that. if that don't work I have read maybe my starter magnets have slipped out of place. so the next thing is a new starter. if that don't work I think I am done with the viper and going back to polaris . I have pit alot of money into this sled

my experience with almost 20,000 km on mine and living in Manitoba is that the motor takes a lot of power to start when its really cold. When I go to start it and its been out all night, I take a booster pack and give the battery some extra oomph. It turns over the motor faster and it ALWAYS starts eventually. My F330 wont start unless its plugged in, neither did the Camry. My 95 zr580 finally did after about 25 pulls.

Most issues I have seen are that the battery is too far from the starter motor so you loose some current and it doesn't spin the motor fast enough. It fires right away and people take their hand off the key and it dies, then it gets too much fuel when they turn the key on again and makes it tougher to start. Remember, liquid gas does not burn, gas vapor does. Hold the key past where you think its started and you will be much better off. I know its not natural as we have been told not to, but it works. Wont hurt the starter either if its only for 10 seconds more.

My 16 viper 1049 did same thing 1st time in -30c, i think if your plowing through powder and getting it into hood moisture on relays doesn't dry out completely then freezes overnight wont start next day. I have used blowdryer on relays to dry warm them up and fires up

I had the same issue this year with my 2016 Viper. ended up being the brand new batteries x2. I bought what I thought was a decent battery but they didn't hold up. They always showed over 12 volts off and over 14 when sled is running, but when it tries to fire it when cold it would out the battery voltage would drop down to 5-8 volts. I went back to a YUSA and my problem is gone. Good luck !

I had the same issue this year with my 2016 Viper. ended up being the brand new batteries x2. I bought what I thought was a decent battery but they didn't hold up. They always showed over 12 volts off and over 14 when sled is running, but when it tries to fire it when cold it would out the battery voltage would drop down to 5-8 volts. I went back to a YUSA and my problem is gone. Good luck !
does your sled turn over slow?

Back