• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2011 apex air box lid mod.

icebreaker

Expert
Country
USA
Snowmobile
2011 xtx
Here is my air lid mod I made that I am going to try on my 2011 with pc5 controller from Ulmer. I will let you know how much gain on top speed. It looks like this is a easy way to get cold air in the box because it is right under the hood vents and hidden that you cant see. Anybody try this?

Attachments

• air.jpg
    air.jpg
    709.4 KB · Views: 1,195
  • lid.jpg
    lid.jpg
    687.2 KB · Views: 851

Results yet? Do you have to use the pc5 controller?
Blue

air box lid and pc5

Yes, with the pc5 and this lid I am seeing 6mph gain on top end on hard pack. I like it also because it isn't very loud.

air box lid and pc5

Yes, with the pc5 and this lid I am seeing 6mph gain on top end on hard pack. I like it also because it isn't very loud.

Be aware that all of the air limitation into the engine has nothing to do with the intake capabilities of the air box on these machines. They will by stock design take in more air then the engine requires and are not restricting any air flow at all.. You can benefit from the colder air with the modification you have but virtually no increase in air flow into the engine. The primary restriction of air flow is the joint tubes that protrude into the air box. They are limited by design by the diameter and angle of flange. With no air box, test results are negligible. The increase you are seeing is probably a symptom of colder air entering the intake and increase fuel your adding with your power commander. The only way to get increase air flow in most cases is with a ram air type system or by removing the airbox and installing universal air filters(usually K&N) directly to the intake manifold. I DO NOT recommend this unless you can adjust fuel. Long story short. Your wasting the capabilities of your PC5 unless you start actually increasing the air flow into the engine.

Be aware that all of the air limitation into the engine has nothing to do with the intake capabilities of the air box on these machines. They will by stock design take in more air then the engine requires and are not restricting any air flow at all.. You can benefit from the colder air with the modification you have but virtually no increase in air flow into the engine. The primary restriction of air flow is the joint tubes that protrude into the air box. They are limited by design by the diameter and angle of flange. With no air box, test results are negligible. The increase you are seeing is probably a symptom of colder air entering the intake and increase fuel your adding with your power commander. The only way to get increase air flow in most cases is with a ram air type system or by removing the airbox and installing universal air filters(usually K&N) directly to the intake manifold. I DO NOT recommend this unless you can adjust fuel. Long story short. Your wasting the capabilities of your PC5 unless you start actually increasing the air flow into the engine.
Nine year old thread there fella.....

Back