• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2011 Apex Q's

new06apexgt

Veteran
Country
USA
I know Yamaha has worked hard to refine/improve the Apex for 2011 and it looks good on paper. Does anyone know if the items below will remain common issues on the Apex and what if any new ones may exist?

- Exhaust Donuts

- Front End Bushings

- Drive Axle Bearings

- Drive Axle Snaps (believe they improved this axle in 2009+)

- Chaincase Failures (Believe they re-designed case in 07+)

- Handwarmers (Initial 2011 results look good based on research here!)

- Darting - Better w/ EPS, new SKI design or same story. (Bergstrom TPs and Shim)

- Hyfax Wear - While other mfgs run on the same conditions w/ no problems.

- Idler Wheel bearings /axle wheel bearings failing often

Nobody probably has enough miles on their sleds yet to know this yet. And also oyu need several owners with higher maileage to start seeing patterns from particular models.

hyfax wear is a problem like my 07- my remedy was scratchers. right now theyd be fine around here because it snows almost every day. im already down to the line though.

handwarmers are better but not where they should be

still darts but can easily be fixed like previous models which i have done.

the rest is yet to be seen or heard

Could you tell me the fix for the darting. My brothers 2011 darts and we were going to put dualies on the front ski's but they do not make a set for the new ski design. My 2007 has the dual carbides and no darting.

If you stud them and toe the ski's out about 1/2 -3/4" there should be no darting.

The darting a lot of people feel are because of either of these two issues. If it's darting under moderate acceleration or steady state throttle it's because the ski's aren't toed out enough, if it's under braking, it's because the sleds are so front heavy the back gets really light when the weight transfers to the front and you need studs to keep the back end from getting squirely.

There is nothing special about Yamaha's or there ski design that causes them to dart more, 99x out of a 100 it's because people align there ski's perfectly parallel which causes darting.

12 Yamaha 4 stroke's since '03 and not one has darted with stock ski's when properly set-up.

Sled studded so I can try the toe out. Can I shim the ski's to lift the fronts up or should I toe out and if so how much.
Thanks
pup

morrisond said:
If you stud them and toe the ski's out about 1/2 -3/4" there should be no darting.

The darting a lot of people feel are because of either of these two issues. If it's darting under moderate acceleration or steady state throttle it's because the ski's aren't toed out enough, if it's under braking, it's because the sleds are so front heavy the back gets really light when the weight transfers to the front and you need studs to keep the back end from getting squirely.

There is nothing special about Yamaha's or there ski design that causes them to dart more, 99x out of a 100 it's because people align there ski's perfectly parallel which causes darting.

12 Yamaha 4 stroke's since '03 and not one has darted with stock ski's when properly set-up.

toe out will not fix the darting.... It has alot to do with the rubbers under the skis or the angle of the spindles.... Yes, you can fix the darting, but setting the toe out by 1/2 to 3/4 is way over board... 1/2" is about the max, I would ever think and even then, I would be questioning why I would need too....

Woddys will fit

pup55 said:
Could you tell me the fix for the darting. My brothers 2011 darts and we were going to put dualies on the front ski's but they do not make a set for the new ski design. My 2007 has the dual carbides and no darting.

You can use the same doolies as the 07. I had darting on my Se... not as bad as my 06...But with the doolies none. I put a spare set I had from the 06 and they fit fine. They steer great with the power steering.

dave

pup55 said:
doolies will fit on the 11? I thought they would not as it is a new ski design?

No problem on my 2011 apex se. Same part number as my 06

Dave

Put semi aggressive snow trackers on my 2011 XTX. I put on 100 miles last weekend. No darting at all. Just like my previous sleds with snow trackers. I don't change the ski or shim.

I shimmed my skis on both our 11's and the darting improved significantly. In the end, an aggresive keel and hard pack snow with tracks a sled will dart. The shimmed skis improved it though by 50-75 percent. I run 8 inch Shaper Bars by Stud boy. Wife has liked the 9 inch duece bars by Stud boy on hers as well.

Back