• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2011 Mystery Sled!!!

Re: 2011 Mystery Sled

gr8vintage said:
An OP-ED piece

I was also selected for the Yamaha Demo-Promo-Feedback-Tell em what you think ride with Tom (Mr Sled) in Hurley yesterday. First off, we had a good group of guys and no problems. The Yammy reps were cordial and took care of us. Everything was on time and well run. Props to Chris and his boyz. ;)!

As for Tom's A grades, I'll be a little less generous. I'm not accusing him of being a shill for the man, but we did give him a hard time about that tuning fork tattoo :moon: . Don't get me wrong, it is still the best 4-Stoke, period! Which is conflicting for me personally because it offends my patriotism riding a foreign sled. But that is my personal issue. I’ve bought 5 Yammy 4-strokes, so you’d think I’d be getting over it. :o|

If you are contemplating plunking down a big stack Benjamin's for an ‘11 sled expecting something new, I expect you will be disappointed. Really it is the same old, same old since ‘06. Yes there are refinements, but they are in no way worth the price of admission. Upgrading from your old Apex is only for the sake of upgrading. There is nothing revolutionary being presented.

Nearly everyone riding yesterday said the same things. Darty, inside ski lift, etc….all the same issues that have been discussed right here for years. The ride and handling were really the same as previous years. Maybe an improvement in clutching or mid-range power….hard to tell without riding your old sled simultaneously. The seat seamed to be better…again hard to tell. So... if it's hard to tell....there nothing revolutionary here.

I give them C’s across the board. Harsh….maybe….but in my opinion a revamp is overdue. If they want A’s from me…..it’ll take more than a new-old hand warmer switch.

Tom, I think your Blue Blood is showing. LOL

Frank

Darting... are you kidding me...LOL, I took the sled that everyone was complaining about and drove that the rest of the day with some minor adjustment on the tunnel and there was no darting... I too noticed the ski lift and push of the front end as far as bleed blue... you can judge me how ever you want... I speak my mind and I think all that rode with me in Hurley are well aware....

this is the problem with us posting our ride results... if you dont push the sled you dont appreciate it.... and how I judge the sled is just that my opinion.... so dont post on my behalf Frank.

gr8vintage said:
Evolutionary is a better word, when you are refining the current model, but I want a revamp or I will not spend the money to ride the same sled I already have. I've adjusted out the problems as well as possible in my current sled. They still exist in the new sled (prototype anyway). Why buy new and start over?

You got it.... keep your sled Frank, you seem to have the ideal machine for you.

On another note... is this sled evolutionary... no but neither is a 700 EPS Grizzly compared to the 660 Grizzlys but if you ride many many miles you will learn to appreciate how good the EPS is and that alone will sell sleds and ATVS.

gr8vintage said:
An OP-ED piece

I was also selected for the Yamaha Demo-Promo-Feedback-Tell em what you think ride with Tom (Mr Sled) in Hurley yesterday. First off, we had a good group of guys and no problems. The Yammy reps were cordial and took care of us. Everything was on time and well run. Props to Chris and his boyz. ;)!

As for Tom's A grades, I'll be a little less generous. I'm not accusing him of being a shill for the man, but we did give him a hard time about that tuning fork tattoo :moon: . Don't get me wrong, it is still the best 4-Stoke, period! Which is conflicting for me personally because it offends my patriotism riding a foreign sled. But that is my personal issue. I’ve bought 5 Yammy 4-strokes, so you’d think I’d be getting over it. :o|

If you are contemplating plunking down a big stack Benjamin's for an ‘11 sled expecting something new, I expect you will be disappointed. Really it is the same old, same old since ‘06. Yes there are refinements, but they are in no way worth the price of admission. Upgrading from your old Apex is only for the sake of upgrading. There is nothing revolutionary being presented.

Nearly everyone riding yesterday said the same things. Darty, inside ski lift, etc….all the same issues that have been discussed right here for years. The ride and handling were really the same as previous years. Maybe an improvement in clutching or mid-range power….hard to tell without riding your old sled simultaneously. The seat seamed to be better…again hard to tell. So... if it's hard to tell....is it really worth it.

I give them C’s across the board. Harsh….maybe….but in my opinion a revamp is overdue. If they want A’s from me…..it’ll take more than a new-old hand warmer switch and $3 worth of grease zerks.

Frank
Thanks for taking off the blue goggles when posting this.

Mighty said:
gr8vintage said:
An OP-ED piece

Nearly everyone riding yesterday said the same things. Darty, inside ski lift, etc….all the same issues that have been discussed right here for years. The ride and handling were really the same as previous years. Maybe an improvement in clutching or mid-range power….hard to tell without riding your old sled simultaneously. The seat seamed to be better…again hard to tell. So... if it's hard to tell....is it really worth it.

I give them C’s across the board. Harsh….maybe….but in my opinion a revamp is overdue. If they want A’s from me…..it’ll take more than a new-old hand warmer switch and $3 worth of grease zerks.

Frank
Thanks for taking off the blue goggles when posting this.

Thanks Mighty...This will be the last time I will post anything on the New Machines.... why bother.

Tom,

You bother for the silent majority. We appreciate any and all feedback. And you are NOT the only one excited about the sled. Supertrax sure was complimentary about the handling of the new yammy.

Thanks for taking the time to do the reviews!

Also if this sled does have EPS then I would most definitely call this sled "evolutionary." I may not be the "revolutionary" sled that so many people want but this is definitely the first step in the right direction.

With EPS the future of sled design could be very different. We will see. It may not seem awesome on the surface, but with time I bet most of us will be pleasantly surprised with the benefits on the backside.

I did not mean to be negative, actually I told my dealer yesterday that I thought I might need to move up a few years. Everything I had read so far seemed to be positive. I'm sure that I will very much apprecaite the EPS. Then only remaining issue for me will be ski lift, I guess I'm old school and want the seld to go around corners without the tendency to lift. No I don't want to deal with all negatives that come with the old sleds, but the Yamaha 4 stroke is a heavy motor, and shear size makes it very diificult to get the cg low. The trick is to minimize the negatives of all the good features of those motors.

I am betting the ski lift will be solvable with added ski pressure. With EPS you will be able to make that thing rail I am sure!

MrSled said:
On another note... is this sled evolutionary... no but neither is a 700 EPS Grizzly compared to the 660 Grizzlys but if you ride many many miles you will learn to appreciate how good the EPS is and that alone will sell sleds and ATVS.
Your right.. I owned both and I'm on my second 700 Grizzly (2007 and now 2008) and it truely is way better then the 660...

All A's huh? Best sled ever?

You forgot to mention it is about 15+ lbs heavier and only slightly faster than the current Apex..

I know Yamaha has had TY in their back pocket since the mid 2000's, but a little objectivity would be appreciated.

well i would love to take a ride on this sled i have medical problems with both shoulders and arms and the EPS would be for me a life savor thanks Yamaha and Tom keep posting i like to read what you have to say, yamaha if you need a disable guy to give a opinion let me take a ride

Good write up MrSled. IMO, why mess with a good thing I love my attak and think its one of the best looking sleds out there. For 2011 they refined the looks and fixed most of the problems that we spend alot of our cash on to fix. If I Didnt buy a sled this year I woulld like to have one, especilly if it came with a 144.

Back