• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2011 Mystery Sled!!!

NytroSx said:
All A's huh? Best sled ever?

You forgot to mention it is about 15+ lbs heavier and only slightly faster than the current Apex..

I know Yamaha has had TY in their back pocket since the mid 2000's, but a little objectivity would be appreciated.

Cant agree more ;)! They are so far deep into Yamahas pocket, I would just sell out and dump the site before it really bleeds blue....

Geez! Mr Sled this was not a personal attack, just an opposing opinion with a jab or two. We all had fun yesterday talking about the sleds, the good, the bad and the ugly. We agreed that most of the issues in the sled were correctable with tuning and/or help from the aftermarket. It's no different than any other model release. It will never make everyone happy and you'll have to adjust it to taste like all the others. The TY forum is full of tuning tips and flaw fixes. These forums and the aftermarket exists because the Big 4 can't seem to get it right. So please, no offense intended.

Has there been anything said about eps on the nytro's. The apex's steer easy compared to the nytro's. I think poeple where hoping for a new chassis that would corner flater than the competition,along with more hp, lighter weight,and EPS. With sled sales in the toilet prob. going to have to wait a while.

Thanks to Mr.Sled and your report.
I will admit that I have not posted much but I am an avid reader of this site and have been sleding many years. Having purchased many new "first" year production sleds, I must add the following comments. Firstly I am thankful that the 2011 Yamaha tested is not totally new. Anyone who has had a first year sled knows that it takes a year to two years to get the handling and "bugs" out . The consumer is the real test . If you had the '03 Rx-1 or the first Nytro, you know what I mean.
It appears many issues were addressed in this 2011, all of which have been discussed already. The "Apex" or ? continues to have much refinements and innovation with EPS.With what I have read and seen so far, this maybe the sled that my "07 Apex will be replaced by.

Tom it would seem you cant even offer your OWN opinion on your OWN website without getting attacked. In Tom's defense is he biased towards a new Yamaha product? Of course he is he bleeds true blue and it is HIS opinion. To make this perfectly clear everyone has an opinion and HIS is HIS those who cant get that go ride the new sled and WRITE YOUR OWN OPINION. Would he mislead the members of his OWN website for Yamaha's benefit? NOT A CHANCE AND THOSE WHO KNOW HIM KNOW THAT.

CC Rider said:
Thanks to Mr.Sled and your report.
I will admit that I have not posted much but I am an avid reader of this site and have been sleding many years. Having purchased many new "first" year production sleds, I must add the following comments. Firstly I am thankful that the 2011 Yamaha tested is not totally new. Anyone who has had a first year sled knows that it takes a year to two years to get the handling and "bugs" out . The consumer is the real test . If you had the '03 Rx-1 or the first Nytro, you know what I mean.
It appears many issues were addressed in this 2011, all of which have been discussed already. The "Apex" or ? continues to have much refinements and innovation with EPS.With what I have read and seen so far, this maybe the sled that my "07 Apex will be replaced by.
X2 ;)!

Ah Tom don't let them get you down. I thought your review was honest! You liked it and so has everyone else that has rode it.

Those that don't like it have never rode it and want change for changes sake. I'm glad the Apex is still the Apex. Can't wait for power steering!

P.S. I saw a B in there!

I rode this sled too and compared to almost any other sled I've had or ridden in the past 5 years(Apex's,Rev's, F1000, Crossfires, Nytro's, XP's), ski lift is no bigger an issue on this sled(and it really wasn't an issue for a stock width sled) and is a lot less than an Apex, it's gotten a lot better.

Like any sled that is rider forward that has an higher CofG than traditional sleds, it would benefit from a Wider Front End.

If you have not tried a wider front end you really are missing something. You can lean incredibly hard on the front end of the sled (combined with 13mm swaybar). You can get them for $600 including the swaybar from MPI. It's like riding a traditional sled again like an Srx700 that cornered great, as it only had 7"/8" of suspension travel. If you can afford an $10,000 U.S. - $15,000 Can sled you can afford it. If you can't you shouldn't buy the sled.

By law Yammie isn't allowed to go any wider, so please don't blame them.

With the 128 Track and especially 144 you need a wider front end to balance it out, you make it longer and higher you need to make it wider to balance it out.

It is simple physics. The alternative is to dial in tremendous spring pressure on the front shocks and then everyone will be complaining about crap ride and too high ski pressure, can't turn it etc...(although EPS would offset this).

You can't have everything. If you want 3' of suspension travel and rider forward ergo's raising CoG, you have to offset it somehow.

I've put Wide front end's on Apex's, 1st Gen Nytro, 09 Crossfire, and now a 4stroke Venture. All have benefited greatly from this Mod.

Talking to CR, he might have mentioned that Yammie would love to have one in their accessories Catalog as it really does make a difference.

He tried the Venture with the Wide front end and not to put words in his mouth, was very surprised by how flat the front stayed through the corners.

Get a Wide front end! #1 Mod to improve handling on Rider forward sleds with high CoG.

"By law Yammie isn't allowed to go any wider, so please don't blame them."

I've always wondered why they don't widen the ski stance. I'm curious about the law thing. Do you have more info?

I don't actually know, I just know the regulation exists. It doesn't stop you from changing it after the fact though. Unless the warden is out there with a measuring tape shouldn't be an issue.

I'm not a trail sled kinda guy but think EPS is the coolest thing to come in a while. The quad guys rave about it. Never tried it but can see the benefits would working even better on a sled.

I get so PO'ed when everyone jumps up and down and gets all defensive when someone slags or makes a negative comment obout a BLUE sled......well, I guess it goes both ways LOL. Everyone should be allowed to voice their opinion either good or bad, eh Tom.

props to Yamaha, I hate all the marketing and sale hype BS, they took it to the trails and let real sledders have at it. NICE MOVE.....love it. I would love to get the call to test a 2012 Nytro.

dfroster said:

I've always wondered why they don't widen the ski stance. I'm curious about the law thing. Do you have more info?
This is the law in Wisconsin, cut and pasted from http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/es/enfor ... obRegs.pdf

You cannot operate, offer for sale or sell a snowmobile that is wider than 48 inches if it was manufactured after May 7, 1994.

SledderSteve said:
dfroster said:

This is the law in Wisconsin, cut and pasted from http://www.dnr.state.wi.us/org/es/enfor ... obRegs.pdf

You cannot operate, offer for sale or sell a snowmobile that is wider than 48 inches if it was manufactured after May 7, 1994.

Yes, Poo got into trouble with this in the mid 90s.
Was their first major long travel sled & when the suspension flattened, it exceeded 48".

morrisond said:
I rode this sled too and compared to almost any other sled I've had or ridden in the past 5 years(Apex's,Rev's, F1000, Crossfires, Nytro's, XP's), ski lift is no bigger an issue on this sled(and it really wasn't an issue for a stock width sled) and is a lot less than an Apex, it's gotten a lot better.

Like any sled that is rider forward that has an higher CofG than traditional sleds, it would benefit from a Wider Front End.

If you have not tried a wider front end you really are missing something. You can lean incredibly hard on the front end of the sled (combined with 13mm swaybar). You can get them for $600 including the swaybar from MPI. It's like riding a traditional sled again like an Srx700 that cornered great, as it only had 7"/8" of suspension travel. If you can afford an $10,000 U.S. - $15,000 Can sled you can afford it. If you can't you shouldn't buy the sled.

By law Yammie isn't allowed to go any wider, so please don't blame them.

With the 128 Track and especially 144 you need a wider front end to balance it out, you make it longer and higher you need to make it wider to balance it out.

It is simple physics. The alternative is to dial in tremendous spring pressure on the front shocks and then everyone will be complaining about crap ride and too high ski pressure, can't turn it etc...(although EPS would offset this).

You can't have everything. If you want 3' of suspension travel and rider forward ergo's raising CoG, you have to offset it somehow.

I've put Wide front end's on Apex's, 1st Gen Nytro, 09 Crossfire, and now a 4stroke Venture. All have benefited greatly from this Mod.

Talking to CR, he might have mentioned that Yammie would love to have one in their accessories Catalog as it really does make a difference.

He tried the Venture with the Wide front end and not to put words in his mouth, was very surprised by how flat the front stayed through the corners.

Get a Wide front end! #1 Mod to improve handling on Rider forward sleds with high CoG.

You know it's funny, I was just thinking about that. With all the wider forward and having the center of gravity sitting up, you wonder why they don't start making the sled a 45-46"ski stance to help with the handling.. I mean they are now starting to notice that the power of these sleds now require a longer track, so why not. Good post and I agree...

Rockmeister said:
SledderSteve said:
dfroster said:

Yes, Poo got into trouble with this in the mid 90s.
Was their first major long travel sled & when the suspension flattened, it exceeded 48".
Your right that was the XLT extra wide something... Awesome handling sled....

Back