• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2011 Mystery Sled!!!

Re: 2011 Mystery Sled

gr8vintage said:
An OP-ED piece

I was also selected for the Yamaha Demo-Promo-Feedback-Tell em what you think ride with Tom (Mr Sled) in Hurley yesterday. First off, we had a good group of guys and no problems. The Yammy reps were cordial and took care of us. Everything was on time and well run. Props to Chris and his boyz. ;)!

As for Tom's A grades, I'll be a little less generous. I'm not accusing him of being a shill for the man, but we did give him a hard time about that tuning fork tattoo :moon: . Don't get me wrong, it is still the best 4-Stoke, period! Which is conflicting for me personally because it offends my patriotism riding a foreign sled. But that is my personal issue. I’ve bought 5 Yammy 4-strokes, so you’d think I’d be getting over it. :o|

If you are contemplating plunking down a big stack Benjamin's for an ‘11 sled expecting something new, I expect you will be disappointed. Really it is the same old, same old since ‘06. Yes there are refinements, but they are in no way worth the price of admission. Upgrading from your old Apex is only for the sake of upgrading. There is nothing revolutionary being presented.

Nearly everyone riding yesterday said the same things. Darty, inside ski lift, etc….all the same issues that have been discussed right here for years. The ride and handling were really the same as previous years. Maybe an improvement in clutching or mid-range power….hard to tell without riding your old sled simultaneously. The seat seamed to be better…again hard to tell. So... if it's hard to tell....is it really worth it.

I give them C’s across the board. Harsh….maybe….but in my opinion a revamp is overdue. If they want A’s from me…..it’ll take more than a new-old hand warmer switch and $3 worth of grease zerks.

Tom, I think your Blue Blood is showing. LOL

Frank

In one sentence you say that it is the best 4 stoke out there, then in the next you said that if you buy it you will be disappointed. Which is it?!?! If it's the best thing out there then why wouldn't it be a good buy?

From Tom's report it is obvious that they did more with this sled than just fix the hand warmers and "$3 worth of grease zerks".

I think we all need to remember that we are still in a recession. Yamaha is not going to come out with a new sled in these times. I'm sure their 2010 sales along with everybody's have been way down. Why would Yamaha come out with a new sled when none of the manufacturers are selling them. The smart move is to keep improving the Apex and wait for the economy to improve.

BlueByYou2000 said:
Let me get this straight...Tom posts his findings and impressions of the sled and some of you feel the need to think its some sort of conspiracy and that Tom can only post positive information?

Let me ask you doubters this:

1: Do ride exactly as Tom does?
2: Do you weigh exactly what Tom does?
3: Are you the same height as Tom?
4: Is your criteria of what makes a sled good the same as Toms?
5: Are you Tom?

If you answer is no to any of the above questions, maybe you should just reserve judgement until you ride one yourself. Until then, you can gripe and complain all you want, however your opinion is completely an uneducated one at this point!! Period...

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think people aren't even reading this...I agree 100%!

MAYBE YOU ALL NEED TO READ THIS!!! :moon:

RE: Nytro XTX Circus
It is the best as far as my opinion goes. Again, my point was if you already have an Apex, don't expect this one to be alot better or you will be disappointed.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are just that, opinions of a washed-up old racer.

gr8vintage said:
RE: Nytro XTX Circus
It is the best as far as my opinion goes. Again, my point was if you already have an Apex, don't expect this one to be alot better or you will be disappointed.

Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are just that, opinions of a washed-up old racer.

Based on your other posts you should have clarified your thought in the original one. You first post made it sound like this new sled was not worth a penny...

If a sled has been improved, that makes it better. Better is better no matter how you look at it. It may not be as good as some would hope it to be, but everyone has different standards of how much better something needs to be to trade it in.

I would love to ride this sled. I know what EPS does to the Grizzly and can only imagine what it could do to a sled.

Must agree with Nytro XTX Circus & Blue.
Most of us have no problems with the opinions.

Believe it is the personal Barbs that irritated myself and others.

Comments like:
"tuning fork tattoo"
"shill for the man"
"corporate Kool-aid"

Personally, I believe they were un-necessary and un-called for.
(And to a large extent un-fair.)

An articulate exchange of ideas & opinions does Not have to degrade into personal bashing.

Rockmeister said:

Comments like:
"tuning fork tattoo"
"shill for the man"
"corporate Kool-aid"

An articulate exchange of ideas & opinions does Not have to degrade into personal bashing.

x2

Nytro XTX Circus said:
Rockmeister said:

Comments like:
"tuning fork tattoo"
"shill for the man"
"corporate Kool-aid"

x2

Point taken. My appologies gentlemen. These were not necessarily directed at Tom, but the vast majority of "PAID" writers. My fault, but I think you read too much into it. I will admitt myself into sensitivity rehab....again, I'm sure my wife will like that too. See you in 30 days.

Re: 2011 Mystery Sled

gr8vintage said:
Don't get me wrong, it is still the best 4-Stoke, period!

If you are contemplating plunking down a big stack Benjamin's for an ‘11 sled expecting something new, I expect you will be disappointed.

There is nothing revolutionary being presented.

Tom, I think your Blue Blood is showing. LOL

Frank

Look Gr8t, I realize everybody is entitled to their opinions, and god knows I am guilty of the occasional rant, but I think your original post crossed the line. I don't blame Mr. Sled for taking some offense. You took some personal shots at him that are ridiculous. Additionally, state your opinions and leave it. That's fine. But don't make assumptions and state it as gospel.......

A few points you made: First, you say it's the best 4 stroke ever made. But the next few sentences you say things like buyers will be disappointed, not to upgrade, and then state nothing new/revolutionary is being presented. Hmmmmm.....

Well, do you really know all of those things for certain? Nothing new? Really?

Let me pose this to you: What if it does have electric power steering? How many other sleds have that "old" feature on them that you know of? What about the engine..... We don't even know for sure what it is, so how do you know if it's new or not? If it's the personal watercraft engine, or has a Yamacharger, or has 160+ actual hp I'd say Yamaha has brought a game changer to the market. Let's find out on Feb 2nd before we start saying the sled is just a re-hashed old Apex.

And calling Mr. Sled a "Blue Blood"???????? That is an old euphemism from many centuries ago reflecting those from the more privileged/upper classes of society. But I think you mean Yamaha Blue, running through his veins. Well let's see, Mr. Sled did start a nice little site called Totallyamaha. Not Totallyskidoo or Totallycat --- Totallyamaha. He drives an Apex (at least it seems so from his avatar). People who frequent his site also drive Yamaha's and tend to like the Yamaha brand. I guess we are all "blue blooded." But i don't think that makes him in Yamaha's back pocket or anything, and to insinuate that would be inappropriate.

I liked Mr. Sled's 2011 sled review and found value in reading it. Furthermore, on Feb. 2nd I think some surprises will be revealed. The Apex got a nice face lift and some fantastic new features at bare minimum.

Mike

Just for fun, it might be helpful for people, especially those not familiar with TY, to revisit some of the past reviews found here. http://www.totallyamaha.com/Totallyamah ... Review.htm

I believe most readers will find the content and tone of the previous reviews to be consistent with the current review.

Those reviews generated similar forum threads with similar content with often the same characters getting all emotional, fighting, making up, then ultimately moving on to the next entertaining subject.

Like sands through the hourglass, so are the forums of TY.

:rocks:

Rockmeister said:
Many don't know that when you stand up on a Quad or Sled, you LOWER the center of gravity of the whole.
The reason is that you LOWER your weight contact point to your feet, from your seat.

That's only true until you start pulling/pushing on the handlebars, then you have very much raised the CG.

Holy crap you guys, lighten up. I am aware of the euphemism "Blue Blood" and the context that it was originally used. But in Yammy circles, Blue Blood is used to describe the Yammy faithful, elitist’s or not. The tuning fork tattoo comment was an actual conversation that we had on the side of the trail during one of the impromptu debrief sessions. Everyone present laughed, including Tom. It’s great that there or so many defenders, but lighten up. Nearly everything that was posted was derived from the conversations that we, the test group had. There isn’t any stabbing going on.

Again, my apologies to Tom and his defenders, I apparently trampled on a nerve. That was certainly not the intent.

As for Corporate Kool-Aid, come on, I just saying, don’t blindly follow…..we know what happens to the Lemmings. Oh man, there I go again, that was probably insensitive. I apologize to the Lemmings.

QCRider said:
Rockmeister said:
Many don't know that when you stand up on a Quad or Sled, you LOWER the center of gravity of the whole.
The reason is that you LOWER your weight contact point to your feet, from your seat.

That's only true until you start pulling/pushing on the handlebars, then you have very much raised the CG.

Neither statement is accurate. The center of mass is does not change with the point of application of forces. Your own center of mass is near the center of your chest and the sled's is probably near the center of the motor. The combination of these two is essentially a weighted average about a reference axis or plane. Since the sled's center of mass is fixed (but will vary some with fuel load), the position of your center of mass determines the overall center for the system. The taller you stand on the sled or ATV the higher the center of mass for the system.

A free-body diagram will easily demonstrate this principle.

Back