• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2011+ owners input

starting it 24 hrs later at 0c or 20f it failed once so I sent all the videos in which they said they would pass them along. Not a serious issue but something that should be addressed since it doesnt seem to be an easy fix

If you want more info on cold starting problems check out this TY link.

http://www.ty4stroke.com/viewtopic.php? ... highlight=

I have had these issues on 4 Apexs now, 2 - '06 GTs and 2- '11 SEs. If you have not stored your sled in -30F temps overnight you probably won't experience this condition. I'm not saying it can't happen in warmer temps but around the -30F temps it is more prevalent.

My wife has a 2011 Apex and I have a 2013 Apex XTX. Same thing, two cranks most of the time. Didnt think this was an issue. But if you guys here of a fix from Yamaha let me know. Alot of good info though if I run into them not starting, or someone elses. Thanks! :Rockon:

Don't know if this helps as mine is a '07. When cold started inside or out I will get a low idle that will stall it if I do nothing. So I will hold the throttle just slightly open so it will run about 2000 rpm's so it won't stall. After about 30 seconds the fast idle will kick in and it will run fine untill warm.

So in reading about the stalling problem have you tried to hold the throttle open a bit after it starts? Just a small ammount as you DO NOT want to foul those plugs. Major PITA!!

Since this has happened to me 4x on 2 different years in Quebec I have tried different thing each time knowing that this problem occurs. Have not been successfully on any different approach. You will know when it going to fail. It will attempt to start for about 2s then stall out. Then, the more you crank the more it floods outs. Tried feathering the throttle. holding throttole wide open. Nothing helps but warming the sled and changing the plugs. Ever try changing the plugs? Try it at -30F below. I have not tried the hot water over the thermostat yet... can't hurt. Its on the top of my list.

i dont touch throttle but on wknd took me 3 tries to get it going at +2c. Ill let pump prime and turn it over but it stalls immediately without letting pump prime again. If that makes sense

And here I bought an Apex thinking fuel injection was better starting then carbs. My carbed RX starts at any temp and its onlt issue in warm weather is having to hold the throttle open when the motor is up to temp.

I did notice when I picked it up it took two trys to get it to run at +20C. Thought well its new and tight but now I see fuel injection has issues!

Adding a powercommander on a bike makes it seem sluggish and hard to start. I'm guessing this isn't helping nor is it the only issue you guys are having.

the commander actually makes it run smoother once it finally catches and runs, without it, its struggling to stay running for 3-4seconds before it goes so it did help a bit

I am having the exact same problem. Every damn time I go to start it it dies. After letting it sit for a month at the end of summer i went to start it in 65 degree weather to pull off the trailor to do an oil change and wouldn't start at all. So I had to drag my new 14k sled off the trailer. I did the oil change and changed the plugs figuring they may have been fouled out. Still nothing would not start at all. I scrolled through the settings on the gauge cluster to see where the miles were at and then tried one last time and boom it fired right away and ran fine. wtf? I thought the power commander from ulmer was the ticket so I called today to talk to him and order one but he didn't answer or return my call. I am glad I read this now and hopefully between everybody we can resolve this problem. I had an 07 rtx I bought brand new and only had the frozen relay once otherwise it always fired every time first try no matter the temp. This is absolutely ridiculous out of a brand new sled. I will be following this thread and will add to it if I find anything also. We just got 13" of snow today so I am going to ride tomorrow and see how it reacts I'm sure it will do the same crap smh

I don't have any issue at all, stock and with a power commander, I do hold the key about half a second longer than I would with a car though, starts first time every time.

yamahahaapex said:
the commander actually makes it run smoother once it finally catches and runs, without it, its struggling to stay running for 3-4seconds before it goes so it did help a bit

Ya it's just the getting started part, it always seems to take an extra second to fire up. They were having these issues with the R6 and most of the guys said they held the key for a second after the bike started and it solved the issue like some have said here.

dirk said:
yamahahaapex said:

Ya it's just the getting started part, it always seems to take an extra second to fire up. They were having these issues with the R6 and most of the guys said they held the key for a second after the bike started and it solved the issue like some have said here.

yup thats what i did today held the key about 3 seconds longer and it did start it ran rough for 10 seconds and then smoothed out. Ran like a top all day and started immediatley after every stop I don't get it also towed a ski doo out of the woods lol

Back