• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2012/13 Newberry Area Trail Conditions

01/23/2013

Things have healed up rather nicely around here! It has been cold around here -- highs around 0F (-18C) -- along with some system and lake effect snow. There is about 8-10" (20-25cm) on the level in Newberry and it gets better as you go north. The swamps are pretty well froze over due to the cold temps as of late and the temps are supposed to get back up near 25F (-4C) this weekend, making for pretty nice conditions.

I rode from Grand Marias to Taq Falls on Tues. ALOT of fresh powder. Stayed off trail on county roads mostly. Had a blast. Still no base under all the powder. But well worth the trip.

We are headed up to seney on Wednesday through Sunday should be great! Does anybody know where the nearest or best Fish fry is on Friday nights closest to Seney?

I know the Dune Saloon in Grand Marais has pretty tastey whitefish. I'm not sure if Andy's has a fish fry on Friday's or not anymore...Over by Newberry, I know the Elks on the north side of town and the Eagles over by the airport south of town are both pretty good (Eagles is a better value).

01/28/2013

Went for a ride to the Fall with the Mrs. yesterday and the trails were in really good condition, especially considering it was the end of the weekend! The snow had started to get a little "mealy" with the warmer temps but there was still plenty to go around. There is talk of more snow for this coming week into the weekend as well. I don't want to jinx it so I won't make any comments about "being due for a snowy winter"...<whoops!> :hide:

Re: Blue Tic Hound

RoyalBlue said:
Stu
I have to ask , what does that Puppy on you avatar look like now after 6 years , show us some pics.

Thanks

B

I'll have to see if I can dig one up. He's actually a mutt (though he doesn't look it). We had a Austrailan Cattle Dog (Blue healer) bitch who was sired by a Cocker Spaniel/Lab mix (crappin' neighbors...). But he's an awesome dog!

01/31/2013

Well all I can say is ride, boys, ride! We finally got the snow and cold to keep it. The base is there, the powder is there. The only draw back will be the amount of sleds that will be pounding the hell out of the trails. Right now it looks like we finally got the winter we've been well overdue (by years) to receive.

02/14/2013

The snow has gotten a little stiff since we had rain/snow mix last Sunday night into Monday but we really didn't lose that much. The trails seem to be holding up pretty well considering the amount of sleds. We're getting a little fresh snow now so we are still in good shape. I think I'll be headed to out to the marsh this weekend (Sleeper Lake). I haven't been in there since before the wildfire in 2007. It should be interesting to see how things have changed.

02/20/2013

The marsh was awesome this past weekend! There was a deep base, about 4-8 inches (10-20 cm) of powder and we had the whole marsh to ourselves it seemed (never saw another sled the whole day!). The signs of the fire are still visable from the dead and blackened standing trees. The fire definitely opened things up, because there were a lot more open plains of rolling drifts to play in than I remember... Since that ride we've had another storm come through and dump anywhere from 4-12 inches (10-30 cm) on us again. On my way in to work this morning, I observed that the trail where it crosses the highway north of Newberry (at the Tahquamenon Bridge) was nicely groomed and had plenty of snow on it, even being that close to the highway. There is talk of more snow coming as the weekend comes but that's just icing on the cake as we are definitely not hurting for snow anymore. Best conditions in recent history. I'm probably headed out to where the Duck Lake fire was (May 2012) this weekend. Should be interesting to see what things look like compared to Sleeper Lake...

02/25/2013

The snow definitely softened up since last weekend because all but one of the sleds in our group was stuck at least once. It was still a great ride. We trailered out to County Road 500 by Swamp Lakes north of Newberry and spent most of the time roaming through the forests burned by the Duck Lake Fire last May. It is a absolutely amazing to see how everything has changed since last winter. There are plains where forests stood and even the trees left standing were like burn match sticks. It was like a whole other planet.

We went through Little Pike Lake and then up to Culhane Lake via fire lanes (which were untouched until we got to them). My brother and a friend of his decided to run the trails back to Newberry and meet back up with us. He said the trails were the best he had seen in memory (Sunday night, groomed and set up what more could you want?!). Conditions are excellent and that doesn't appear like it's going to change anytime soon. ;)!

03/03/2013

Well things are still ok out there though the warmer temps with cold nights are starting to make everything icy and rock hard in the morning and wet and mealy in the afternoon. I went back and looked at my report for this time last year and in early march 2012 I was already figuring it was the last ride. What a difference! That being said, I think conditions have peaked. We do still have lots of snow and there is certainly time for a big March/April storm (it has happened in recent history). I guess I won't speculate too much, just ride and be glad!

03/11/2013

Still plenty of snow, but it never got below freezing last night so everything is wet and packy. The 10-day forecast is calling for things to cool back down to below freezing at night and just at or above freezing during the day with some good chances of snow before next weekend. Trails are a little sloppy right now but hopefully things will tighten back up.

03/25/2013

Sorry it's been a while since I've last updated, haven't really been near a computer much lately. That being said, holy crap we've got a lot of snow! My wife got stuck on a ride this past Sunday, and when I went to help her I sank to my navel (I'm 6'3") which puts it at about 4 feet! We didn't ride much of the trails but what we did between Wolf Inn and Pine Stump was smooth as glass. Hard to beat the riding this year (especially considering years past).

Back