• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2014 / early 2015 viper reflashing

that would make sense also... never thought of it like that...

subaru2006

My take on this is that the fix has been applied at the production end and that the hardware and software required for a field fix is just being finalized.

fastfreddy could you confirm this?

What is confusing is seemingly contradictory posts:

"Programming is done and testing almost complete , Yamaha fairly confident that this will cure `` most `` situations !"

I have to assume that the programming is complete and testing of the equipment/protocol is what is still in process. Otherwise we would bot be talking about a spring to summer production date cutoff.

When I was speaking with a Yamaha rep a few weeks ago, he indicated that the flash will fix the hot start issue, as well as 3 or 4 other things. One being a starter engaging too early (there were more details to this one, but can't recall...) but he didn't know what the other couple of things were. Frastfreddy, do know what the others are?

The new flash will probably also take care of some of the P codes that occasionally pop up on some of the sleds.

Did you see the note that 15 idler wheels wont fit 14? What is that about?
I noticed allot of the hardware in the skid of the 15 is different than the 14, maybe that's why the idlers are different. I did notice that on my 15 that one set of idlers will use a 8mm socket instead of the larger 10 or 12mm socket on my 14. Weird that they would change that. Allot of the hardware is silver coloured on the 15 but gold coloured on the 14 as well.

Returned from Yamaha 2015 snowmobile update seminar on Wednesday with news on the viper situation. Yamaha has a new YSDT ( Yamaha snowmobile diagnostic tool ) just for the Viper sleds! Bad news is that will not be auto-shipped until first part of November ! Programming is done and testing almost complete , Yamaha fairly confident that this will cure `` most `` situations ! Keep calm for a while and cross your fingers !
I didn't listen fully to the YSDT explanation given by my dealer but what I did manage to hear is that it is a 6 foot long cable plug in that enables the tech to diagnose and make adjustments without having to walk around the sled and read the cowl gauge pod (cowl has to be removed to access ecu i believe). He said it was a PITA to do by yourself and would always use a second person to help. The elongated YDST makes it a one man job.

That's two different things. The pod extension is a long cable that connects in between the big connector you unplug to remove the hood so you can run the sled with hood off. The diagnostic tool is a interface between laptop and sled that will be used to flash the Ecu and for diagnostics. It physically looks just like the existing cat one but will not work on the cat ecu. Cat one won't work on a yamaha either. If anyone wants to run with hood off you also can just buy the short harness from gauge and key to the big connector in front of steering stem,remove gauge and ignition switch and plug it in. Been doing it that way since I got mine last year. To hook diagnostic up to sled hood does not need to be removed. It is connected right by the accessory plug hanging under reverse actuator. I would think the reflash should only take a few minutes to do.

That's two different things. The pod extension is a long cable that connects in between the big connector you unplug to remove the hood so you can run the sled with hood off. The diagnostic tool is a interface between laptop and sled that will be used to flash the Ecu and for diagnostics. It physically looks just like the existing cat one but will not work on the cat ecu. Cat one won't work on a yamaha either. If anyone wants to run with hood off you also can just buy the short harness from gauge and key to the big connector in front of steering stem,remove gauge and ignition switch and plug it in. Been doing it that way since I got mine last year. To hook diagnostic up to sled hood does not need to be removed. It is connected right by the accessory plug hanging under reverse actuator. I would think the reflash should only take a few minutes to do.

Agreed.

My take on this is that the fix has been applied at the production end and that the hardware and software required for a field fix is just being finalized.

fastfreddy could you confirm this?
that is correct ! this was the first meeting for the dealers and it was a mess of sorts ! November is the time frame set for reflashing and update kits for the February build units. No comment was made on the spring to September units except the September and later will have bigger oil tanks with dipstick instead of sight glass!

Did you look at the oil tank itself? Are they still using a separate oil separator or is it in tank now? I saw the pics but it was kinda confusing whether it was pic of tank or pic of current setup?

how would this update effect maps produced by venders using the prior ecu?
like pcfc and pcv?
subaru2006

The map would be overwritten if it was in the ECU. Evolution has said they would remap in that case free. For the Power commanders as long as they are not changing the main mapping it will be fine but they arent going to tell us that. So yes it would be a concern. I dont see why they would mess with the main map when it is just starting issue since there is a separate map for starting. Good question.

Last edited:
When I was speaking with a Yamaha rep a few weeks ago, he indicated that the flash will fix the hot start issue, as well as 3 or 4 other things. One being a starter engaging too early (there were more details to this one, but can't recall...) but he didn't know what the other couple of things were. Frastfreddy, do know what the others are?
Yamaha was not letting a lot of info out yet , Arctic has hands tied or they will not say !

Subaru brought up a good question for those running PC's or flashing.

Fastfreddy any comment on the oil tank question?

Back