• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2014 Viper Questions

Hj1515

Country
USA
Snowmobile
SRX, Apex XTX
a local dealer has a leftover 2014 Viper... he has a great deal on it so I know it is worth the money but I have a few questions. I might use it as a spare sled for me or give to a niece ...

For me, I am an aggressive rider who usually rides an 800 or just recently sold a cat turbo. I have read about carbides and suspension stuff etc which I would do as I go based on feel. The questions I have:

Are there any mapping issues with the 14 vs. the 15 or 16? I thought I heard there may have been some mapping issues where even the Cat mapping was A lot better. Any truth?

Were there any electrical issues?

We're there any clutching issues? Updates? I know Cat had clutching updates but I don't know if that was only for turbos.

What are good basic performance upgrades that are still reliable but will boost power?

Any help would be appreciated.

There is so much info in the Viper sections, if you just took the time reading and searching all of questions would be answered.

There is so much info in the Viper sections, if you just took the time reading and searching all of questions would be answered.

I did read through and since it seemed I read many conflicting posts that were old and new parts come out often I thought it would be OK to ask for updated information. Was it ok to ask again?

I did read through and since it seemed I read many conflicting posts that were old and new parts come out often I thought it would be OK to ask for updated information. Was it ok to ask again?

Let me try to post based off my 2014.

• Are there any mapping issues with the 14 vs. the 15 or 16? I thought I heard there may have been some mapping issues where even the Cat mapping was A lot better. Any truth?
I never had my 2014 re-flashed from Yamaha and only had a few hot starts, nothing that you could wait a few seconds and it would still start. 3000 miles. I have added many mods since then and to date this was one of the best sleds I have had with Zero to little problems.

• Were there any electrical issues?
I never had any electrical issues.. not sure what you are considering electrical.

• We're there any clutching issues? Updates? I know Cat had clutching updates but I don't know if that was only for turbos.
No Yamaha updated on clutching that I am aware of.

• What are good basic performance upgrades that are still reliable but will boost power?
EVO Flash with Air Box Mod, Header and Silencer will really bring the sled to life but will then need a good clutch kit to compliment the upgrades.

Let me try to post based off my 2014.

• Are there any mapping issues with the 14 vs. the 15 or 16? I thought I heard there may have been some mapping issues where even the Cat mapping was A lot better. Any truth?
I never had my 2014 re-flashed from Yamaha and only had a few hot starts, nothing that you could wait a few seconds and it would still start. 3000 miles. I have added many mods since then and to date this was one of the best sleds I have had with Zero to little problems.

• Were there any electrical issues?
I never had any electrical issues.. not sure what you are considering electrical.

• We're there any clutching issues? Updates? I know Cat had clutching updates but I don't know if that was only for turbos.
No Yamaha updated on clutching that I am aware of.

• What are good basic performance upgrades that are still reliable but will boost power?
EVO Flash with Air Box Mod, Header and Silencer will really bring the sled to life but will then need a good clutch kit to compliment the upgrades.

Thanks Mr. Sled.. Much appreciated!

Yup What he said!!! There has been a slew of people who did and did not have problems. A lot of it I believe waw head space or too much room between the ears! My 14 was never flashed but was turboe'd from day 1. That sled has been through a lot and has had several issues that we will not get into but I loved it so much I bought another and made it faster and now have the 14 being converted to an ice drag sled.

In the stock form the 15 XTX out to 80 mph it would run with my 15 Polaris pro S 800 but then get walked but it would go through anything and was faster on the trails and could eat its way through 4' of fresh powder like a mountain sled and go back and pull the Polaris out.

My only real complaint on my 14 in box stock form was it darted bad with I correct with studboy deuce bars and suspension was very harsh which I corrected with shock valving. $250 changed my sled from a rough riding sled that didn't handle that well to an awesome driving great riding 150+ mile day machine. Like mr. Sled said, mine started hard some, actually mine started a bit hard most of the time, but it ALWAYS started. The starter issue is what would be my biggest concern and for that if just make sure u get a decent warranty. Extra warranty is much cheaper than a potential starter failure.

Back