• We are no longer supporting TapaTalk as a mobile app for our sites. The TapaTalk App has many issues with speed on our server as well as security holes that leave us vulnerable to attacks and spammers.

2015 SrViper XTX Digging in on deep powder

Neonblue2

Country
USA
Snowmobile
2015 Yamaha viper
Getting ready for this season...

2015 srviper xtx SE 141

The main issue I had with my sled last year was in deep powder. We have a spur to get to the main trails that's about 500 yards long that's very twisty through the woods so we can't go fast. That and we have to cross two roads so we have to slow down or stop before those roads. I'm sure if I kept my speed up around 40-50 I'd be ok...

However, on slower speeds of around 10-30mph and in the deep powder my viper buries itself and I'd like to find a way to abate or minimize that. Right now the front arm swing bolt (rear suspension) is in the top location.

Would moving that bolt down make the sled less susceptible to digging in? Any other pieces of advice?

Getting ready for this season...

2015 srviper xtx SE 141

The main issue I had with my sled last year was in deep powder. We have a spur to get to the main trails that's about 500 yards long that's very twisty through the woods so we can't go fast. That and we have to cross two roads so we have to slow down or stop before those roads. I'm sure if I kept my speed up around 40-50 I'd be ok...

However, on slower speeds of around 10-30mph and in the deep powder my viper buries itself and I'd like to find a way to abate or minimize that. Right now the front arm swing bolt (rear suspension) is in the top location.

Would moving that bolt down make the sled less susceptible to digging in? Any other pieces of advice?
It would make it worse since approach angle would be steeper. Wider skis and lower clutch engagement would help. Always try to stop at road crossings with skis almost over the bank by road.

The front doesn't dig in, it's the rear. The front seems to float quite well. But going say, 20mph I can feel the back start to dig down then the sled comes to a stop and I have a fun time digging out. I can see clutch from a stop but in most cases I'm already going and I try to keep a steady speed. And if I give it extra throttle it just seems to accelerate the dig. I've varied the throttle a couple of different times to see if a steady acceleration or grab and go does any good but both end up with the same results.

I was hoping that wouldn't be the case. I've got the stock track (1.5"?). Not sure how a deeper track would function on groomed trails though.

I am sure once you get that spur broke in then it’s easy the next pass right? Yup more lug is going to be a negative trail riding but it’s always a compromise.

It took a few passes to get the trail set. My bro in law has a sidewinder and had no issues bogging down. I think our tracks are identical, but the HP is not.

I thought the SrViper didn't have a limiter strap anymore? I guess I didn't look for one, but that's what I was told?

If it’s skis digging in then track trenching you would want to go out with straps but you said it’s not the skis. So.

It took a few passes to get the trail set. My bro in law has a sidewinder and had no issues bogging down. I think our tracks are identical, but the HP is not.
A Winder is heavier and slower accelerating at 20mph or less so look what he has or does. Or make him break the trail!

Ok, the strap is something to try then. This sled has been somewhat of a train wreck getting dialed in. The previous owner was a bonehead in the adjustments they made to it. I'm surprised they were able to ride it at all and I'm betting they got rid of it because they thought it had big issues. It would die in the corners on me. Turned out when I released the throttle and braked, the sled would die when I got back on the throttle. They adjusted the cable so the motor engaged before the microswitch which was causing that issue. Then the sled was extremely prone to high siding and I had to fight to keep it on the trail for the first couple of rides on it (and I'm a big guy). I got that dialed in now though. I'm curious on what else they did to the sled; I never had one act like this on the trail/snow before.

I bought an XTX used for my grandson and a new one for me, and both of them are pretty capable in deep snow (at least "deep" by Maine standards) with the stock 1.6" tracks, and aftermarket (Mohawk) skis. I'm not saying that we haven't buried them, we have, but mostly it has been from going places that we had no business trying to go in the first place! I also confess to getting stuck on snowbanks at road crossings, but like Cannondale says, get your skis over, or almost over the bank, and you will have no more issues. In all honesty, for me, not getting stuck has been a function of learning that trail riding and riding in deep snow require different skill sets.

Back